P. Irminia breeding question

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Botar, what use could you possibly have for the search function? :p
Never too old to learn.;)

Besides, I've never claimed to be an expert. I'm just a guy who breeds and sells tarantulas. By the sheer numbers I keep, I may know more than some, but I'm not a taxonomist and don't have time to research many of the things I'd like to know. So I am one of the lazy ones who try to gain knowledge from the work of others. But then again, absent the person who is out there in the field or in the lab conducting the research, aren't we all trying to gain knowledge from the work of others? I still get calls every day asking me about how to sex a tarantula, what they eat, if you should put a sponge in the water dish, etc. The questions are aggravating, but people turn to someone who knows to help them learn. Just because they are learning on a lower level doesn't mean you shouldn't help them. They might very well some day end up being the person who finds a way to prevent some of the problems that plague our pets.

I understand both sides. I just think it is often easier to be critical than to help. If you spend 2 minutes typing out a response telling people to use the search function, wouldn't it be just as easy to spend 2 minutes telling them what to type in the search function? "Use the search function" is no where near as helpful as "Go to advance search and type in irminia+breeding". Just my $0.02.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I still get calls every day asking me about how to sex a tarantula, what they eat, if you should put a sponge in the water dish, etc.
Dont forget my wannabe prank calls to you. I can tell they really get under your skin hahaha{D

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So I am one of the lazy ones who try to gain knowledge from the work of others. But then again, absent the person who is out there in the field or in the lab conducting the research, aren't we all trying to gain knowledge from the work of others?
Oy, talk about being taken the wrong way or perhaps not explaining oneself. That's not what I meant.

I didn't mean it's laziness to post a question. That's what this forum's for. I've asked questions here, I've asked some really stupid ones. What gets old is when the same questions are asked over and over, sometimes on a darn near daily basis. It takes a lot less time and effort to post a new thread, than to take a few minutes and research it first.

And here's a hint for those who don't already know, if you go into Tarantula Questions & Discussions first before using the Search, you'll only pull up answers from the Questions & Functions. That will help cut out the unimportant stuff.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Case in point

Well this thread got testy in a hurry. Oh well, I learned how to breed P. irminia two different ways. :p

I've been on various forums throughout the years and "use the search function!" is one of those common urges some older members wish of the newer members. I am guilty of doing it myself. I truly don't mean any harm by it, as I'm sure most people don't. Then again I also read everything I can get my hands/eyes on before I trouble people to ask questions I know must have been answered a zillion times. But that's just me.

Then again this forum seems to have a higher tolerance for the same repeated questions day in and day out, well, except for when someone invariably asks about cross-breeding. :rolleyes:

I think Varden's post was a little more gruff than necessary, considering the original poster didn't sound like a complete imbecile and was asking pertinent questions in a mature and well spoken format. But I don't think any harm was intended and was merely laying it all out there for the OP to consider from their perspective and interpretation.

To IdahoBiteyThing, I think you need to read around some more, very rarely have I ever seen anyone put down someone for asking questions. Either that or I have a lower standard of "putting down". If you want to ask stupid questions, go ahead, what're they going to tell you, use the search function? More times than not you'll get legitimate answers because people here seem fully willing to help others learn regardless of experience. But if you want to be a whiner about it, that's your choice as well.
:p
Yes, you obviously DO have a lower standard of "putting down". Hey, why don't you tell me that my opinion is wrong and then call me names? Oh, you already did. Thanks.

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I myself still ask questions about animals that I have been keeping for years and I have used the search function and not found what I was looking for,but most of the time will not ask the question on here for the simple reason of what ha happened here.We all may not be Botar,but even he started somewhere and had to learn.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oy, talk about being taken the wrong way or perhaps not explaining oneself. That's not what I meant.
No troubles... I may have come off critical of what you were saying and it wasn't meant that way. From the written word it is often difficult to understand one's meaning as you can't see the expression on their face or hear the intonation in their voice.

@Fraze01 - Still learning more each and every day... I just wish I had more time... I'd like to keep better records and be able to contribute to the "knowledge" end of the hobby as well as the supply side.

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont forget my wannabe prank calls to you. I can tell they really get under your skin hahaha{D
Hey Bri... there's a difference between ignorance and stupidity. I'd say your calls are "stupid", but I think you're already aware of it. :D

BTW, when are you coming back up? I've got some stuff for you.

Botar

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Fraze01 - Still learning more each and every day... I just wish I had more time... I'd like to keep better records and be able to contribute to the "knowledge" end of the hobby as well as the supply side.

Botar[/QUOTE]

You do contribute to the knowledge end otherwise you wouldn't be on here answering questions for people.You have helped me at shows and I am sure you have answered plenty of peoples questions on here.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
IBT said:
Yes, you obviously DO have a lower standard of "putting down". Hey, why don't you tell me that my opinion is wrong and then call me names? Oh, you already did. Thanks.
*bends over to pick up a pebble* I'm sorry, is this the chip off your shoulder? :rolleyes:

I never said your opinion was wrong, please learn how to read and comprehend, I said for you to go ahead and ask your questions, since you said you would never ask them here because everyone here is rude (although you seem to be the only one I've found in this particular thread). Well if everyone here has been rude to you about your questions, I personally would take that as a hint to do some self-research, but again that's me.

Sure some people will tell you to use the search function if they deem it to be one of those repeated questions, that's part of the territory, is it the end of the world if someone does? No. If you don't like the answer/advice given, don't pay any mind to it and continue on. But in most cases you're still going to get the answers you need because many people here are willing to help regardless of the question.

You can't expect a forum to mold to every new person and their myriad of questions, especially a forum that has been around as long as this one has. There are YEARS worth of valuable information tucked away in this place, not to mention the combined experience of all of the members here...all you have to do is seek it out in one way or another.

If you can't fit in and participate without feeling like a victim, woe unto you, then maybe you should go elsewhere and ask your questions. It's gonna be your loss though. I've not found any other arachnid/tarantula forum that even compares to this one with the true experience of the members and the daily traffic this place sees.

And Botar is absolutely right, so much meaning is lost in text than can be conveyed in person-to-person speaking because we don't have facial expressions and inflection of voice. Smilies help with that, but still not completely.

Most times I will help people to the best of my limited ability, from the experiences I've had so far or from the information I've read and regurgitate. Repeated questions to one may not be repeated questions to another person. I haven't quite grown annoyed with people who ask the same things day in and day out around here, because in most cases I'm still learning myself. Now if you ask me "Can u house 2 cron sankes, a boy and gurl together and they b happy?!!" then I'll hand you a chewed rear-end. It's all relative. ;)

Like I said originally, I believe this thread to have been a case of complete misunderstanding and feelings being worn on sleeves.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ouch

*bends over to pick up a pebble* I'm sorry, is this the chip off your shoulder? :rolleyes:

I never said your opinion was wrong, please learn how to read and comprehend, I said for you to go ahead and ask your questions, since you said you would never ask them here because everyone here is rude (although you seem to be the only one I've found in this particular thread). Well if everyone here has been rude to you about your questions, I personally would take that as a hint to do some self-research, but again that's me.

Sure some people will tell you to use the search function if they deem it to be one of those repeated questions, that's part of the territory, is it the end of the world if someone does? No. If you don't like the answer/advice given, don't pay any mind to it and continue on. But in most cases you're still going to get the answers you need because many people here are willing to help regardless of the question.

You can't expect a forum to mold to every new person and their myriad of questions, especially a forum that has been around as long as this one has. There are YEARS worth of valuable information tucked away in this place, not to mention the combined experience of all of the members here...all you have to do is seek it out in one way or another.

If you can't fit in and participate without feeling like a victim, woe unto you, then maybe you should go elsewhere and ask your questions. It's gonna be your loss though. I've not found any other arachnid/tarantula forum that even compares to this one with the true experience of the members and the daily traffic this place sees.

And Botar is absolutely right, so much meaning is lost in text than can be conveyed in person-to-person speaking because we don't have facial expressions and inflection of voice. Smilies help with that, but still not completely.

Most times I will help people to the best of my limited ability, from the experiences I've had so far or from the information I've read and regurgitate. Repeated questions to one may not be repeated questions to another person. I haven't quite grown annoyed with people who ask the same things day in and day out around here, because in most cases I'm still learning myself. Now if you ask me "Can u house 2 cron sankes, a boy and gurl together and they b happy?!!" then I'll hand you a chewed rear-end. It's all relative. ;)

Like I said originally, I believe this thread to have been a case of complete misunderstanding and feelings being worn on sleeves.
Wow, not even sure if I should respond but I'm going to try. I myself have NOT been treated rudely on this board, (up until oh, NOW!) and did not say that I had (read my post), but I DID feel badly for the original poster of this thread, who's discouragement and frustration were more than evident. I've seen several other threads in the same vein, and I think that all of us could do a better job of not attacking one another. Um, I personally don't feel like a victim, but thanks for encouraging me to go elsewhere! I too have some opportunities for growth in the communication department (sorry for the Arachnogods comment), as my intent here was only to encourage more respectful discourse. If I contributed to the breakdown of the thread, my apologies.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Bri... there's a difference between ignorance and stupidity. I'd say your calls are "stupid", but I think you're already aware of it. :D

BTW, when are you coming back up? I've got some stuff for you.

Botar
LMAO!!! See!!! Just thinking about those calls ruined your day, didnt it?{D {D {D {D {D {D
I will give you a call tomorrow. I also have some stuff for you that I believe you will want ;)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer

I do not feel like a victim, I feel pi$$ed off at people presuming to know my business. I asked a simple question. It had nothing to do with selling anything or trying to outdo the breeders on this forum or anything else. I just wanted to know if there were any tricks to breeding irminias as I wanted to try it. I am not a noob (look at my join date) nor am I a regular poster (this is a good example of why I'm not). I broke silence to clear up something here. I understand the search function. I use it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This thread was not started about the search function and that was not my main beef to begin with. Granted, the first sentence of my first post on this thread indicated that I had, in fact, used the search function. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't read the whole thing, do not respond to me. I'm not interested in debating this, the problem was not the search function although I knew when I saw it mentioned that this would turn into a debate about it. Again, if I ask a question on here, I already did the search, I don't need to know how broke I will be because I have decided to make irminia breeding my lifes work (Insert sarcasm here), I do not need to know the names of all the people I am trying to be, I do not need anything except an answer to the question. If you can't provide it without commentary or personal jibes, DO NOT RESPOND TO ME, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN KNOWING YOUR PERSONAL OPINION OF ME! I am here to learn not debate my proficiency. My last word on this is if having to ask questions makes you a noob, then you are all noobs. Every single person on this board from the mods straight on down falls under that heading if all it takes is asking a question, I have seen them all do it. So please don't think you know me, you might be surprised.