P.imperator

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i have a Q iam brand new to scorps i have Ts so iam not new to arachnids and well my p, imperator is completly a nut case i walk by the cage and he i guess whats considered a threat display ( wides his little reach and pulls his tail up over his body) is there anyway i can kinda chill him out maybe work with him like take him out his cage and try handling him outside his habitat because ive had Ts that i handle outside there Cages and there sweet hearts but inside the cage there quite defensive. okay thank you

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Short answer is Yes.

Long answer?

Some people will never handle their arachnids and tell you the same. I think that is a good idea with some species, but others it doesn't really matter imo.

Important Note: If you do handle, understand that you are the big giant human, and you are handling a scorpion, which may sting or pinch you. If it does, you have to still be nice. IE: Don't scare the wits out of the little thing then throw it across the room when it tags you. It could happen. Probably not with an Emperor, but it has and will again. So if it freaks out, suck it up and get it off you gently. You are the big crazy monster in this situation, so play nice.

Best suggestion I have is this:

Get a tea bag box or something similarly sized. Rip off one small side. Then use your tongs to walk the scorp into the box. Sit on the floor and let it out onto you. When it walks towards the edge of your hand or leg whatever, put a hand underneath it to walk onto. When you are done, walk it into the box again. Set the box into it's cage and let it walk out.

As time goes on, it will get used to being around humans, and not get as scared. It may be to a more or lesser extent, but it will effect its fear level, which in turn effects how defensive it is. With regular handing, my emperors were hardly defensive at all. I could stick my hands in there and push them around without them changing their behavior! (Not that I recommend doing this!)

One more point.

Mine, when approaching an edge like my hand, wouldn't always stop. Sometimes I would put my other hand below and a little to the side that the scorp was moving. Instead of stopping, it would just tuck its metasoma (tail) in and flip over on to the other hand. It will tuck its metasoma in and not sting you! Then it flips back over when fully supported. Just surprised me the first time it happened, so I thought I'd share. :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is an Imp, i just reach in and pick them up.:cool:

You could do that. I would wait until they've been held a couple of times first though. lol.

If you want to do that op, I would lay your hand down on sub, and walk it onto your hand. Don't just "grab it".
:clap:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'll be the one to show him this
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/search.php?do=process

Your welcome
Hey SB, before you go patting yourself on the back, you might want to check your link! :razz:

Or were you meaning to direct OP to search function? If so, that's a good helpful thing and my bad for razzing. Except that the search function is difficult sometimes for some topics. It would be more helpful to actually do the search, then provide links with the search terms you used.

Unfortunately, some of us have more or less problems using the search function. I'll give you some examples in a sec...

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay, first search.

No prefix, scorpion forum, with at least one reply, and thread search. Search Terms: Emperor Handling

3 pages of mostly unrelated threads, or that wasn't included in Title. Most of it will be not related.

3 title relevant threads. The others might have had information, but do you want to read through thousands of pages of irrelevant info and chit chat to find it? Look at this thread title! No one will ever know what it's about from the title. You have to read it. Same goes with most of the 3 pages that came up.

So of the 3 that did show up....

1. was general handling titled. Could be relevant, maybe not. If you are a new person, you wouldn't be too confident in that I would think....

2. A thread of P. imperator handling pictures from '06

3. One thread that looks to be what the OP would be looking for (but I didn't read it! :D) from '06. And if it were me, I would wonder if there were new techniques or information since '06. I mean, this is the digital age right?

My point here is that, it is not so simple to just say go search. It didn't take me a 10th of a fraction to write that then it would have taken the OP to search and find it. Not saying the OP shouldn't learn and use search, but it is not the end all be all of the forums. Otherwise, why have them? Should we only be allowed to ask or post stuff that has never been written or known before? How would you know what is what when you are new? It's a slippery slope, that's all. No big deal. Just sharing my thoughts. :)

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
nomad thanks for your response i think i will try that tommrow. and i dont get mad when i get tagged lol i got bit by the 4.5 foot redtailed boa we had it hurt but because iam diebetic iam used to pins and pricks haha thanks again

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
You could do that. I would wait until they've been held a couple of times first though. lol.

If you want to do that op, I would lay your hand down on sub, and walk it onto your hand. Don't just "grab it".
:clap:
reread my post i cant walk by cage without my lil buddy gettin all tuff lookin haha i talk to him saying aww your so mean lol i do it to all my buddies

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
sucsess

well i just held him i did the pretend tree trick and i worked and i even put m hand infront of him and he didnt care ill be uploading pix in a second

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fun huh? That's cool. I'm glad you got to experience that and it will make cage cleaning easier too. If you want to keep it use to you, I would recommend taking it out at least once a week. Twice and you should be solid. Just pay attention, because they can get moody sometimes just like me. So watch it's behavior. It's pretty easy to tell after a while when they are fine and when they are not. Respect that and you should have a nice little buddy now. :clap:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, nice pics Anthony
Glad your scorp is being friendly lol

I agree with Nomad
I've used the search function a lot and often times there's more junk than useful info. All it does is find words that appear in threads/posts.
I will also say that someone posting an "old" question isn't all that bad. Who knows, a member might have found out something new and needed that question to spark them to give out their new-found info.

Who said we'd get the same answers to the same questions?

venomglide

Arachnopeon
Ot

Hello,

I'm a fan of Mr Google Search. Anything i dont know, i just click, type and go search from a google search box. But not all results are satisfying and not all user are that good in doing search. If a result page from a google is not relevant how much more in a forum? So you have to sit, create a thread which you think best answer your question. Sorry for the moderator, it's your job to keep the forum clean and relevant.. how about changing the titles, locking and redirecting thread to another relevant and not so out of date topic. I know it is hard to moderate but that's why you are given the "Moderator Function".

Thanks. Peace out \m/

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Hello,

I'm a fan of Mr Google Search. Anything i dont know, i just click, type and go search from a google search box. But not all results are satisfying and not all user are that good in doing search. If a result page from a google is not relevant how much more in a forum? So you have to sit, create a thread which you think best answer your question. Sorry for the moderator, it's your job to keep the forum clean and relevant.. how about changing the titles, locking and redirecting thread to another relevant and not so out of date topic. I know it is hard to moderate but that's why you are given the "Moderator Function".

Thanks. Peace out \m/
ok well i used to use google and they roccomend a 70-80 % humidity for b. smithi >> so no i sifted threw the search fuction bout an hour iam not one to just post randomly i only post when i cant find out a 100% answer just for the safety of my pets thanks:D