P.Goliath "Giant form" pics

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Ahh so KB are not really that big a tad bigger than a 6" Brachypelma.
A rare B smith can hit 7" (out of the hundreds of w/c adult females I've seen, I saw one that big). Most tarantulas don't break the 7" barrier. Some individual kings may go a little past that, but don't bet the farm yours is going to reach 8 or 9". We've been thru this many times with LP's; most get to be 7-8", hence the glaring lack of pictures of 9 and 10" LP's next to rulers. Regardless, a 7 or 8" spider is a big damn spider.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Haha a 7 inch old world terrestrial is nothing to meh at, they would put 99% of new worlds to shame mate.
Yea I need to collect more OW terrestrials in the future seems I do not have many, chilobrachys sai yok, & King baboon are my largest right now.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A rare B smith can hit 7" (out of the hundreds of w/c adult females I've seen, I saw one that big). Most tarantulas don't break the 7" barrier. Some individual kings may go a little past that, but don't bet the farm yours is going to reach 8 or 9". We've been thru this many times with LP's; most get to be 7-8", hence the glaring lack of pictures of 9 and 10" LP's next to rulers. Regardless, a 7 or 8" spider is a big damn spider.
Well said , Does inbreeding have something to do with this? Or just over estimating spider size without measuring.
7"-8" spider is huge, my T stirmi was 8-9" before it died of cyst sadly molt was broken :(.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Why do dealers say LP can get 10" if they never reach this size? Were original specimens this size?

Well said , Does inbreeding have something to do with this? Or just over estimating spider size without measuring.
7"-8" spider is huge, my T stirmi was 8-9" before it died of cyst sadly molt was broken :(.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Why do dealers say LP can get 10" if they never reach this size? Were original specimens this size?

It's what I like to call an "ultimate size" but not a realistic average max size, some spiders are just genetically superior just like humans. For better sales of course, just like you bought your King because you were under the impression it was guarenteed it's going to hit 8-9 :p

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's what I like to call an "ultimate size" but not a realistic average max size, some spiders are just genetically superior just like humans. For better sales of course, just like you bought your King because you were under the impression it was guarenteed it's going to hit 8-9 :p
Yeah That's what I though, max size.
Perhaps but id be happy with a 7"-8 spider that is pretty huge IMO. MY Goliath was more like 8-9" inches I cant expect an average LP/king baboon to get that large.

Pokies stretch out easy to measure. I don't see terrestrials do a Pokie stretch except post molt.

Some Hystocrates get huge but most arent in hobby.

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Yeah That's what I though, max size.
Perhaps but id be happy with a 7"-8 spider that is pretty huge IMO. MY Goliath was more like 8-9" inches I cant expect an average LP/king baboon to get that large.
7-8 is gigantic, imagine the back legs on a 7 in king, Steve reckons the P.Goliath at the museum over here has legs like felt pens, wouldn't want to get into a fight with that P.Goliath lol!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why do dealers say LP can get 10"
It's called marketing.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 02:27 PM ----------

Does inbreeding have something to do with this? Or just over estimating spider size without measuring.

There's a lot of questionable measuring and guesses when it comes to size. Because a 7-8" spider is pretty impressive, they can seem bigger than they really are. Rather than inbreeding being an issue, it may be diet. We don't know what species they eat in the wild, and even if we did, we probably couldn't get them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yeah seems some old worlders have real thick legs for digging.

Some do, other OW's have skinny legs. It would depend on how hard the soils are, how deep they dig, how fast they have to run, and how big/strong their prey is.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Are old world terrestrials bigger bodied than new worlds? or does it depend on the spider.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 09:15 PM ----------

Haha a 7 inch old world terrestrial is nothing to meh at, they would put 99% of new worlds to shame mate.
Hmm really? Depends on body size of spiders I guess.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Are old world terrestrials bigger bodied than new worlds? or does it depend on the spider.
What I have noticed is that many OW's have elongated, oval abdomens, frequently with stripes, whereas many NW's have round abdomens, usually without stripes. For NW's, which are probably more advanced, a rounder abdomen allows for a bigger patch of urticating hairs, and having the hairs means they don't have to run away from predators as often as OW's do. Abdominal patterns are mostly lost as a NW kicks it's hairs. In fact, NW terrestrials can have some large bloated abdomens (at least in captivity), something you don't see nearly as often with OW terrestrials.

For OW's, a long abdomen is more streamlined and less cumbersome, giving them the potential to run faster and into smaller holes. Since they don't have urticating hairs, abdominal markings provide a benefit by helping make the body parts of the spider look like they're not connected, and therefore not look as much like a spider. Many spiders, OW and NW have different colors/markings on their head, legs, and abdomen. That breaks up the image of the spider, which is beneficial in both hiding from predators and approaching prey. A common color scheme is black/brown legs and a reddish abdomen. While an animal's eyes are drawn to the red abdomen, it may not realize that the dark head and legs are all attached, at least not realize it soon enough to do something about it.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well said , Explains the odd movements of my P antinous sub-adults. Also my CHilobrachys is streamlined for speed, like my Pokoes.

I still don't think any OW is as big as T stirmi , but P Goliath might be one of closest. Or P Ornata for leg-span , not bulk.
Why do NW spiders have Larger max size? urticating hairs mean less running away??

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well said , Explains the odd movements of my P antinous sub-adults. Also my CHilobrachys is streamlined for speed, like my Pokies.
Antinous and a few others will raise their abdomens in response to intruders, to appear larger, the same reason cats arch their backs and make their fur stand on end. In both cases, smoke and mirrors, but it can save their lives some of the time.

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Well said , Explains the odd movements of my P antinous sub-adults. Also my CHilobrachys is streamlined for speed, like my Pokoes.

I still don't think any OW is as big as T stirmi , but P Goliath might be one of closest. Or P Ornata for leg-span , not bulk.
Why do NW spiders have Larger max size? urticating hairs mean less running away??
Yeah I can assure you nothing is going to kick the South American king off his throne, if there was a species bigger than him it would have been found by now and it would have been found in South America, but a 9 inch old world would put an 11 inch T stirmi to shame fear wise.

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 04:01 PM ----------

There's that "sexy" hand again. Are you a hand model?
Yes, yes I am. I will send you some nude shots of my hand for $$$ if you want?