P cancerides sub species

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What are the differences between Phormictopus cancerides and the other subspecies. I just got a female and want to know what MM to get.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rudloff officially did away with those "subspecies" in his 2008 revision.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK guys, Wikipedia is safe again, no more Phormictopus ssp there !!

A little light editing, and all now matching Platnick.. i just wish the EOL catalog was so easy to edit. Right, note to self, must go to Honduras, and see the original P.atrichromatus ...

:)
s

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I heard that they are the same the P cancirades and P.atrichromatus. Does anyone have a pics to compare and contrast this two sp. if there are really two different sp ?

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I heard that they are the same the P cancirades and P.atrichromatus. Does anyone have a pics to compare and contrast this two sp. if there are really two different sp ?
The answer to your question is both easy and difficult.

On one hand, yes, they are 2 different species. But what spider did Schmidt actually describe as P. atrichomatus (from Honduras?)? I'm not sure, but I certainly wouldn't be equating it with P. cancerides from Haiti without good reason.

It is very difficult to know what you have seen or sold (in person or pictured online) as either one of these species. I've seen at least 3 different species sold under either one of these names interchangeably.

Most recently, the very purple spider from the Dominican Republic has been sold as P. atrichomatus... I have no idea why.

Eric

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a good link to the possible P.cancerides and P.atrichromatus on Hispanola in this link, which is comparing wild material.
http://dominicanspiders.blogspot.com/search?q=cancerides

I edited the localities on the wiki page more to fully match content of Rudloff 2008 paper, which is likely better than the vaguer ones given in the world spider catalog.

This directly links to what the guy on Dominican republic thinks is P.atrichromatus
http://dominicanspiders.blogspot.com/2009/01/phormictopus-atrichomatus.html
I have one captive juvenile sold in europe as P.atrichromatus that looks just like this, red abdominal hairs, light radiating hairs on the carpace. Im not saying it is P.atrichromatus, just i have one bought under that name like this.
I have a slightly larger 'P.cancerides' that always stayed plain brown, kept in the same conditions. Sadly the link doesnt show what the male of this redhaired species looks like, but does of the 'brown' species he thinks is P.cancerides.

Yes indeed, there are probably multiple species traded under these names, especially lots of variety sold as P.cancerides before the 2008 revision.

regars

LV-426

Arachnobaron
on the subject of Phormictopus, does anyone have knowledge on the P cancerides " green phase". There was a pic of one on birdspiders.com. Is it in the hobby?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are p cancerides in porto rico also? I just read that somewhere. Also what are the other tarantulas from porto rico. I'll be vacationing there this Friday.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So would the Phormictopus sp. purple just be a regular p cancerides. I see an mm for sale and I want to know if I could breed it with my p cancerides.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So would the Phormictopus sp. purple just be a regular p cancerides. I see an mm for sale and I want to know if I could breed it with my p cancerides.
Unless you actually key it out and KNOW that it is P. cancerides, assume it to be different. Actually, I've got both varieties and they look different. I haven't keyed out either yet, so I don't know the "purple" species and "cancerides" hasn't been proven.