P. cambridgei sling care.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
I recently ordered a Tarantula from someone on here and since I spent a good amount of money on it they gave me a P. cambridgei sling for free :) I'm happy with it. I researched it a bit online but I feel like I haven't found enough to make me feel confident in keeping it alive and healthy. I know they need higher humidity and taller tanks right? Here are pictures of the tarantula and what i have it in. It's a clear pill bottle that I poked about 3-4 holes in on each side and 4 holes on top. Will that be enough air getting in? Do I just feed it small crickets? If so how many do I give it? How much should I mist it? The substrate is eco earth and the stick in there I got from a pet store and theres some moss on it so hopefully that helps? What should I keep it in when it gets full grown? How big does it have to get before I give it a water dish? I've never had a sling before so ANY advice will be helpful. Weather it's about the P. cambridgei or just slings in general. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

tjrd83

Arachnosquire
Keep most all slings on moist but not wet substrate. Cambridgei are arboreal/burrowers especially while young. Feed it about once a week and offer a water dish once the you can find one that the sling is actually larger than. When it gets older a ten gallon on end would be a great size. They get big and grow fast.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

And the setup you have now looks great.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Keep most all slings on moist but not wet substrate. Cambridgei are arboreal/burrowers especially while young. Feed it about once a week and offer a water dish once the you can find one that the sling is actually larger than. When it gets older a ten gallon on end would be a great size. They get big and grow fast.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

And the setup you have now looks great.
Thank you! Would a 12x12x18 Exo terra be good for when it's an adult? I have an empty one I used to keep my crested gecko in before I got him a bigger tank.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus cambridgei are the largest of the Psalms to my knowledge. With a legspan of up to 7"-8" (most max out around 6.5"-7") they are fast, secretive, jump-capable and mostly on the defensive side arboreals with a tendency to burrowing in captivity. For a juvie / adult later on offer a cork-bark tube and a cage 30x30x30cm for example. They don't have urticating hairs, but stronger venom and high speed in exchange - and they can jump quite far the bigger they get. Although the venom isn't on Poeci-level, a bite is reportedly quite painful. They're great eaters and easy to take care of, but they can be a little tricky to rehouse if you aren't used to their speed/behavior, so research so more. There's tons of info about them on here.

As for the sling - just keep the enclosure well-ventilated, don't drown in moisture and feed weekly. They grow fast and look beautiful. Great T to keep, enjoy growing with it :)

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Psalmopoeus cambridgei are the largest of the Psalms to my knowledge. With a legspan of up to 7"-8" (most max out around 6.5"-7") they are fast, secretive, jump-capable and mostly on the defensive side arboreals with a tendency to burrowing in captivity. For a juvie / adult later on offer a cork-bark tube and a cage 30x30x30cm for example. They don't have urticating hairs, but stronger venom and high speed in exchange - and they can jump quite far the bigger they get. Although the venom isn't on Poeci-level, a bite is reportedly quite painful. They're great eaters and easy to take care of, but they can be a little tricky to rehouse if you aren't used to their speed/behavior, so research so more. There's tons of info about them on here.

As for the sling - just keep the enclosure well-ventilated, don't drown in moisture and feed weekly. They grow fast and look beautiful. Great T to keep, enjoy growing with it :)
Thank you for all that info! I already experienced the hard to rehouse part though haha. I wish I had asked this before I got it in the mail and had to take a tiny, very fast spider out of a little vial and into it's new home.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you for all that info! I already experienced the hard to rehouse part though haha. I wish I had asked this before I got it in the mail and had to take a tiny, very fast spider out of a little vial and into it's new home.
I can imagine, hehe. You'll be fine, just keep in mind to do transfers in an enviroment in which you can recapture the bugger quickly (i.e. lots of open space with some towels or the like as hiding spots) in case it bolts :)

miserykills

Arachnosquire
I can imagine, hehe. You'll be fine, just keep in mind to do transfers in an enviroment in which you can recapture the bugger quickly (i.e. lots of open space with some towels or the like as hiding spots) in case it bolts :)
I moved it from its vial to its enclosure in a big plastic bin so that when it got away from me it didn't get very far lol. I've watched some videos online that should make it go a little smoother next time. Earlier you mentioned that they burrow but mine hasn't yet. It spends its time either on the side of the container or just sitting on the floor. Should I try to start a hole for it or is it not an issue?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I moved it from its vial to its enclosure in a big plastic bin so that when it got away from me it didn't get very far lol. I've watched some videos online that should make it go a little smoother next time. Earlier you mentioned that they burrow but mine hasn't yet. It spends its time either on the side of the container or just sitting on the floor. Should I try to start a hole for it or is it not an issue?
It'll make a hole if it wants one. They're very resourceful. They have no problem making the retreat they want.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
It'll make a hole if it wants one. They're very resourceful. They have no problem making the retreat they want.
Thank you! I have another question. What do I do about humidity? The substrate is still pretty wet, is that all I have to worry about? Or should I spray everything down occasionally? I've been spraying one of the sides a little every day or two to make sure there's water for it to drink. Is that too much/not enough?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep it on the drier side. Mist one corner for the spider to drink from. Don't mist the whole enclosure. Most tarantulas, even pink toes, don't need high humidity. Disregard what you read in caresheets regarding humidity.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Put simply: Once the little guy hits 1.5" you can offer a waterbottle cap as waterdish. Use normal tap water. Personally, when my big girl was still small, I sprayed one side of the enclosure once a week to provide water to drink from until hitting said 1.5". At that size they will frequent the waterdish and it'll help with humidity, too.

As for burrowing like Poec said, they're very resourceful. Some actually dig, others use dirt and construct a web-curtain incorporating the dirt into it. Usually they will dig some form of chamber on the lowest end. If you find the hideout sealed at some point, leave it be - chances are it's preparing to molt. Keep waterdish filled, otherwise wait until the little guy shows up again before dropping feeders in.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Put simply: Once the little guy hits 1.5" you can offer a waterbottle cap as waterdish. Use normal tap water. Personally, when my big girl was still small, I sprayed one side of the enclosure once a week to provide water to drink from until hitting said 1.5". At that size they will frequent the waterdish and it'll help with humidity, too.

As for burrowing like Poec said, they're very resourceful. Some actually dig, others use dirt and construct a web-curtain incorporating the dirt into it. Usually they will dig some form of chamber on the lowest end. If you find the hideout sealed at some point, leave it be - chances are it's preparing to molt. Keep waterdish filled, otherwise wait until the little guy shows up again before dropping feeders in.
That's perfect. That's pretty much what I've been doing and now I know what size I should add a water dish. Also what do you mean by hideout sealed? Do you mean blocked by substrate or webs? My B. smithi that I got at the same time as this sling blocked off the front of it's hide with the substrate. I assumed it was just adjusting to its new home but it would be pretty awesome if it molted. (sorry this is off topic of the thread)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It they seal the entrances off to the spot their hiding in usually, it means "do not disturb" :) Doesn't matter if it's substrate, webbing or a mixture of both - the meaning is the same :)

cold blood

Staff member
The substrate is still pretty wet,
The substrate should never be wet, be careful with that. Just moisten one part of the enclosure when it starts to dry like bob said. Move the moist spot occasionally as well to prevent mold. I have a pair that I got about a month ago at 3/4" I put a bottle cap in with both right off the bat. I do put pebbles in the dish to give them confident places to drink. They have each disappeared for weeks, sealed in, and in both cases ejected their molt and emerged awaiting food. They are now about 1" and with the next molt I will be removing the pebbles from their dishes.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
The substrate should never be wet, be careful with that. Just moisten one part of the enclosure when it starts to dry like bob said. Move the moist spot occasionally as well to prevent mold. I have a pair that I got about a month ago at 3/4" I put a bottle cap in with both right off the bat. I do put pebbles in the dish to give them confident places to drink. They have each disappeared for weeks, sealed in, and in both cases ejected their molt and emerged awaiting food. They are now about 1" and with the next molt I will be removing the pebbles from their dishes.
I don't think it's too wet. It's just whatever water is still in the eco earth from when I had to mix the brick of it with water. When it dries out I'll make sure to do it how you described but I don't want to change the substrate to dry eco earth right now since i just got it. If I notice any mold though I will change it.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Just a little update, I fed it for the first time today and it went great! I put the 2 of the smallest crickets I could find in there and it ate both in seconds. How many crickets should I be offering it every week?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just a little update, I fed it for the first time today and it went great! I put the 2 of the smallest crickets I could find in there and it ate both in seconds. How many crickets should I be offering it every week?
It's up to you, but at that size I offer a baby roach twice a week, or a couple small crickets. It won't starve at once a week, so do what you want. It would seem the spider is safely out of its baby clothes, and doesn't need to be rushed to grow up. Enjoy them. They're an awesome species.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I fed mine once a week until they hit 3" - then I went for once every 2 weeks. They'll turn down food once full.