P. Cambridgei,irminia, H Mac or Cyriopagopus hati hati?

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
So i'm planning to buy some fast growing arboreal t and these are the four species that our local breeder sells. I know all of them are fast, defensive ts. Anyone who have experience with these 4? Any reason why i might pick one over the other? Plus which one of them would be the most visible?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have experience with all of them. What do you want to know? H. mac isnt very fast growing but the rest are. Hati hati, irminia and H. mac are very reclusive. P. cambridgei is the most likely to stay out in open and is usually less defensive as the others. Care requirements are simple for P. cam too.

I believe P. cam is the less attractive of them all but that is personal opinion.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
I've had all except for the cambridgei.

Irminia - best coloring out of the group, moderate webber, usually remained hidden, docile enough to handle, fastest growing but smallest of the 3

H.mac - heavy webber, docile/skittish, never threat postured, did not eat as often as my other T's, did I mention heavy webber? Only molted twice in my care

Hati hati - aggressive, as a juvi it built the most intricate burrow I've seen, as an adult she was seen out more and started to live more like an arboreal, eats like no tomorrow and tackles it's prey like a running back

This is just my personal experience. Out of the 4 you listed, I'd have to give the suntiger or sp hati hati the nod

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
C sp. hati hati grow between 5-6" usually. They are often mistaken for C. shiodtei which grow 7". P. irminias usually grow easily 6.5-7"

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, H. maculata grow very slowly for an OW. Once they get to the 3" mark, get used to a reclusive spider that grows extremely slowly.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If I was you I would go for Hati Hati as you probably live in the most suitable habitat for them in terms of humidity etc. Plus they are absolutely stunning. The also have interesting behaviour but the downfall is you dont see them much.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hatihati looks the nicest and grows fast. But is quite reclusive.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've had all except for the cambridgei.

Irminia - best coloring out of the group, moderate webber, usually remained hidden, docile enough to handle, fastest growing but smallest of the 3

H.mac - heavy webber, docile/skittish, never threat postured, did not eat as often as my other T's, did I mention heavy webber? Only molted twice in my care

Hati hati - aggressive, as a juvi it built the most intricate burrow I've seen, as an adult she was seen out more and started to live more like an arboreal, eats like no tomorrow and tackles it's prey like a running back

This is just my personal experience. Out of the 4 you listed, I'd have to give the suntiger or sp hati hati the nod
P.irminia docile enough to handle??
I don't know what you consider docile, but my P.irminia went in full threatdisplay and slapping the substrate if i so much as breathed in the wrong way...

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
P.irminia docile enough to handle??
I don't know what you consider docile, but my P.irminia went in full threatdisplay and slapping the substrate if i so much as breathed in the wrong way...
Yikes. My 4" female was rather chill. When I'd turn the lights on in the morning or if something would startle her, she would walk back to her hide rather than bolt. I'd handle her during rehousing sometimes, and he only threat posture she's given me was during premolt.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I only have a p cambridgei. Its a great spider. It runs out of its web burrow to get anything I throw in. If it doesnt eat, I know there's a molt right around the corner. Only had it a few months and has molted twice aand grown a ton. This is a terrific looking t as well.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. irminia docile enough to handle??? I can't agree with you there! Mine was one of the most likely of all my T's to throw a full threat display any time I opened her enclosure for feeding - or even if I stood too close to the shelf it sat on. (Of course, at her size, it was more cute than threatening.) Add to that their lightning speed and propensity to run and leap when startled and any attempt at handling is likely to result in either a dead/injured spider - or a LONG night hunting every nook and cranny for an escaped spider!

As if that weren't enough, they are also reputed to have a more potent venom than most NW tarantulas (though they do lack the urticating hairs). Of course, none of the other proposed species are suitable for handling, either - but then, OP wasn't asking about handling in the first place.

@OP: I'm not saying you shouldn't get an irminia. They are absolutely gorgeous spiders and would certainly be my top choice from that list, with the C. hati hati a close second. I lost my irmina after a bad molt, but will probably pick up another one at the upcoming spring shows - along with maybe a Cyriocosmus and/or Hapalopus.

Last edited:

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
Which one of them would be the most visible? I really like how these spiders look. Im not concerned with temperament but I just want a visible spider for display

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
I have experience with all of them. What do you want to know? H. mac isnt very fast growing but the rest are. Hati hati, irminia and H. mac are very reclusive. P. cambridgei is the most likely to stay out in open and is usually less defensive as the others. Care requirements are simple for P. cam too.

I believe P. cam is the less attractive of them all but that is personal opinion.
Yeah they are the least colorful. I also forgot to mention that our local breeder sells lampropelma sp(violaceopes and borneo black) but based from what I've seen in the internet they're pet holes

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah they are the least colorful. I also forgot to mention that our local breeder sells lampropelma sp(violaceopes and borneo black) but based from what I've seen in the internet they're pet holes
Yes they are pet holes. P. cambridgei is the one you are more likely to see more often

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My H. Mac seems to be the exception. It is ALWAYS out and about and is beautiful. Grew reasonably fast to 4", but now has slowed way down.