Ozzy

Nature81

Arachnopeon
Hey peeps!

This is Ozzy my A. avic. I hope you'll agree that "she" is beautiful! I say she as I had a peep through the enclosure today and think I saw lady parts, I have been practising on everyone's photos on here and think I'm getting how to do it, however it is not clear and I will hopefully find out for certain when "she" moults!

However that is not why I have started a post lol. I fed her today as you can see and she took the roach brilliantly as always but this time she got the tongs too. I stayed calm and still until she released them. Then, 15 minutes or so after she took the roach she webbed it to the side, looked like she was getting comfortable and had a wander around and then went back to the roach. Then only 1? fang appeared and she began tucking back in. I'm concerned she may have lost a fang when attacking the tongs. Is this something that's a possibility and I should be worried about? Also, does "she" look healthy to you guys?

Thanks in advance (again)

Zoe

xx

Attachments

webbedone

Arachnobaron
If She is eating which it looks like she is she is going to molt sooner or later and the missing fang, if it is really missing will hopefully be regenerated so worry not my friend unless she stops completely taking food and shows no sign of a molt you are just peachy

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its uncommon for tarantulas to eat during pre-molt, therefore generally if the tarantula is eating, it is assumed that is is not in pre-molt.

But, if your tarantula is happily munching away, which it looks as though it is, you shouldn't run into any problems. Just wait it out until the next molt and "she" will regenerate her lost fang if it is indeed gone.

If "she" runs into problems catching prey, try prekilling or injuring your feeders to make it easier for her to manage. Good luck!

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How do you get them to start tong feeding? I've tried with my A. metallica a few times but no success.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
How do you get them to start tong feeding? I've tried with my A. metallica a few times but no success.
Skip feeding it for a week or two and try again. When you do, don't shove it in it's face, just keep it a few inches away and let it crawl around on it's own while still holding on to it.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've tried that but I wonder if the problem is my Avic stays on the side of the enclosure? I've held a cricket up on the side and let it kinda touch the T a bit with it's feelers but the T just backs away.

Nature81

Arachnopeon
Good news is I've had a look and fangs are fine. Thank you all for your help, its good to know for the future.

She is the only one I tong feed as the roaches find a place to hide and stay there and she doesn't find it so this is best. She's so far always fed very well. A little beast :D

Although my one complaint is no body has commented on her beauty :p{D

Thanks again

Zoe

xx