OW venom...

eporter

Arachnopeon
I was looking at dwarf tarantulas and saw that the ones i were looking at were old world species and that got me wondering about how venomous they were compared to NW varieties. I know OW varieties tend to be more venoumous and do more damage in their bites, but i was wondering how dangerous their bites were in general?? i mean, if my rosie bit me and it was a wet bite it would hurt a lot, feel like a bee sting on steroids and then go away...what if i was bitten by an OW tarantula?? would it be necrotic? spastic muscles? hospital visit?? i did try the search and the results were a little broad spectrum...wondering if there are any opinions out there??:worship:

pok2010

Arachnopeon
if you check out the "Bite reports" section, youll get a better idea of what OW bites are about, and the symptons following up on the bite, but in some cases yes, a hospital visit is a must, venom will cause cramps and so on, and will hurt ALOT...

but if you would like to see more on the topic, read through the bite reports, it has many diffrent species, new world/old world and the affects, weather hospital treatment was needed and so on...

also Robc on youtube has documented bites, brave man, if i were him id of said no way... hospital lol but yea check out youtube and search "Robc" and also the bite report section ;P

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check the bite reports section for specific species to species instances. Should give you a general idea. Of course it will vary based on the person and how much was actually injected.

Of course my advice would be more pertinent if I typed faster or other typed slower.

eporter

Arachnopeon
thanks a lot, yeah i just found that section :wall: right after i posted this...i appreciate the redirect though! {D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you check out the "Bite reports" section, youll get a better idea of what OW bites are about, and the symptons following up on the bite, but in some cases yes, a hospital visit is a must, venom will cause cramps and so on, and will hurt ALOT...

but if you would like to see more on the topic, read through the bite reports, it has many diffrent species, new world/old world and the affects, weather hospital treatment was needed and so on...
All a hospital visit will get you is pain pills to deal with the pain. They can't do anything about the venom. So unless you can't get any pain pills, a hospital visit won't be required and there really is no treatment for getting bit by a tarantula.

eporter

Arachnopeon
i just checked out that bite area and some of the species i was interested in are not on there, so i was wondering if there are any other areas that had this type of info or is it search search search until i find it? lol

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
no worries on the smithi - it's new world, rarely defensive, and I've heard mild venom even if you are that unlucky.

I know nothing about the elegans though. - Further research tells me that they are new world as well, so you should be fine as long as you can handle the urticating hair on both species.

eporter

Arachnopeon
ahh, i thought trinidad/tobogo was in africa for some odd reason and thought that the c.elegans was an OW spider...i see now that it is not...good to know! thank you!