Overrated Spiders

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that some spiders we commonly describe as the most beautiful or colorful are really overrated. Like the Green Bottle Blue for instance, which really colorful, sometimes I think it is to the point of being obnoxious. Plus it's body shape and general character is not that impressive. There are other spiders with this claim, such as the Cobalt Blue. While it's cool that it's blue, I think sometimes it's such an obnoxious coloration. I like the Cobalt Blue better when it's a yellowish color as a juv. Plus they aren't good display species, so who cares how they look (hehe).

Or how about the "Flame knee". While it has more brilliant coloration than the Red Knee, I think it is to the point where it is overstressed. I think the Red Knee is a far more balanced spider.

And then there are spiders we don't normally consider as stunning, with "Subtile" beauty. Like Brachypelma emilia, or Klassi. Those are such beautiful, well bodied spiders. Or how about T. blondi in the dark color phase! That is a handsome and "intense" looking spider even as a juv.

Yeah, I think some pokies look "obnoxious" too. Like one of my favorite Pokies is P. ornata (the Fringed Ornamental), because it has the intense contrast in colors. But it often is considered one of the ugliest Pokies because it doesn't have that brilliant (and I say "obnoxious") white coloration that most of them have. I in fact, think the Indian Ornamental is rather boring looking.

Anyway, ironically has anyone noticed a slight price increase everywhere in P ornata? Ironically this was one of the cheapest pokies a few months ago, but now it seems they are becoming more expensive then the Indian Ornamental.

Anyway, just something to think about. I even think a Red-Phase rosie is quite stunning! I was thinking about getting one (Despite my obvious dislike for the Chilean Rose.

Pauly

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Togo Starburst is underrated. They are the most beautiful spider in my opinion.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
The Togo Starburst is underrated. They are the most beautiful spider in my opinion.
I have to agree here :) It's certainly my favorite, appearance-wise!

-Bryan

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Underrated/overrated...

This will be a healthy debate with opinions all over the map. For me, I appreciate tarantulas that sport the colors of blue, purple and green. These are rare colors found in inverts and even herps. I also appreciate species with "contrast", two-toned colors, anything with vivid markings of dark on light or vice-versa.

For me, the ultimate Pokies are rufilata, subfusca and formosa. They blow away P. regalis anyday. As for P. ornata, they have always been a few dollars more the P. regalis as they are not breed as often and not keep by as many P. regalis keepers, but I'm a big fan of them.

Pamphobeteus is the genus for me. Low hatchout numbers, large spiderlings at birth, nice orange adominal hairs with a black "Christmas tree" pattern, quick growth, great feeders, great "display" species that don't web or burrow and the mature males are stunning in purple, blue, red and green iridescent colors!

I also appreciate a Lasiodora over a Theraphosa anyday. L. difficilis is one of the nicest-looking Ts out there. HUGE, stocky, very hairy, with a marbled greyish carapace and blond leg hairs averaging 8"-10" in legspan, they rule!

Of course, my personal favorite is A. versicolor. You just can't beat them for color and display. It is my favorite T to break out when some arachophobic says Ts are "ugly".

My Top Ten "favorites":
1) A. versicolor - any sex
2) Pamphobeteus spp. - mature males, especially P. insignis, ornatus and nigricolor
3) Lasiodora spp. especially L. klugi and L. difficilis - any sex
4) Poecilotheria subfusca - females
5) Haplopelma schmidti - any sex
5) Poecilotheria rufilata - females
6) Brachypelma emilia- any sex
7) Cyriopagopus thorelli - any sex
8) Lampropelma nigerrimum "Borneo Giant Orange Fringed" - any sex
9) Vitalius roseus - females
10) Xenesthis spp. - any sex , you just can't top a X. immanis!

This is my list today. It could change, but I think these are our hobby's best.

Todd
www.tarantulaspiders.com

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You know what they say about beauty?...

...it's in the eye of...whatever.
To me, it's a toss up between Poecilotheria regalis and Poec. rufilata, as the most beautiful of tarantulas. Both have very neat anatomical characteristics and coloration. They are both large and active. I don't consider them aggressive, but defensive. They're just awesome spiders. Let's not forget P. ornata, subfusca and formosa too. Very nice!
There are plenty of lookers. Avicularia versicolor, Avic. minatrix, Haplopelma schmidti, ultimate male Cyriopagopus thorelli. Heck, some people consider big-@$$, brown, hair kickers (Theraphosa) to be among the beautiful.
john

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"For me, the ultimate Pokies are rufilata, subfusca and formosa."

Hey Todd, I agree with you there definitly! Rufilata in particular is the most maturely colored Pokie I think, and that's a good thing. But of course, none of those are underrated :) It's hard to pass those up.

As for Pamphobeteus, I really need to try some of those one. Surprisingly I still don't have one. I was hoping to purchase one from you Todd next order. Yes I've decided Todd, I am going to purchase from you. I have a list picked out. Now I just need a job so I have money :). I think I'm getting $300 worth of slings, so LOOK OUT! :)

As for Lasidora difficulis, I certainly agree it's the best lookin Lasidora species, very underrated, that's why I'm buying it :)

Haplopelma schmidti is DEFINITLY a fun one. If I was to choose one obligate out of any obligates, it would probably buy that one.

Anywho, this is a fun discussion. I love A. versicolor too. If I was to breed any spider for fun, it would definitly be that one! What about Avicularia avicularia? There is just something about it that is really appealing to me, even though it's common.

Pauly

Fuggrur

Arachnopeon
Moo

My Top Ten "favorites":
1) A. versicolor - any sex
2) Pamphobeteus spp. - mature males, especially P. insignis, ornatus and nigricolor
3) Lasiodora spp. especially L. klugi and L. difficilis - any sex
4) Poecilotheria subfusca - females
5) Haplopelma schmidti - any sex
5) Poecilotheria rufilata - females
6) Brachypelma emilia- any sex
7) Cyriopagopus thorelli - any sex
8) Lampropelma nigerrimum "Borneo Giant Orange Fringed" - any sex
9) Vitalius roseus - females
10) Xenesthis spp. - any sex , you just can't top a X. immanis!
10) Xenesthis spp. - any sex , you just can't top a X. immanis!...

You did top it........... With nine others you dork! lol

Sorry Todd, Just messing with you bud =D Hehe

As for me, Out of all the Tarantulas I have/Have seen.. I would say the Common Avic Avic is my favorite. They are cute :)

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think Eupalastrus campestratus ( pink zebra beauty ) is underrated. It is ( in my opinion ) the BEST starter, much better than the overrated chilean rose. It is as docile as a brazil black, but about as easy to care for as a rosie. Plus they get bigger than rosies, and look nicer, without costing big bucks like brazil blacks. And they are easier to handle than chacos , being smaller, and require less humidity.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like Tapinauchenius gigas (orange tree spider) there just great. Along the lines of orange lets not forget about Pterinochilus sp (Usambara) A crancky beauty!

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
opinion on overrateted

Sorry Paul,
but there is no such thing as an overrated spider!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I don't like avics. There, I've said it. Oh sure, I understand their appeal and I live with someone who absolutely loves them -- but they just aren't the spider for me. Too fuzzy. Too docile.

Cheers,
Dave

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Greenbottle blue. They drive me nuts. I don't see what the thrill is. Sure, bright colors can be neat, but not the GBB. It's hideous!

That's my opinion, anyways.

I do believe there are a lot of under rated spiders, though.

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of the reasons that I stared with T's was because of the H.lividum. Up to that point I had only know of the B.Smithi from movies. and that was a while ago. My wife got interested in T's also for the same reason and we have gotten other peoples stared to just because of color. So there is no such thing as overrated T's it is either you like them or you don't.:D ;) :)

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the most overated spider does not exist.
If it's species is alive today on the horrible little planet we live on, then it deserves some serious respect.

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Hey Folks,
come on post pics :) My favorite terrestrial are Haplopelma schmidti,
favorite aboreal hmmm toss up between P. Ornata, Formosa, and Rufilata heck I like them all

Dont you guys think that a freshly molted cobalt blue, and selenecosmia dicromata are stunning you cant count those guys out if you like earth colors (I know blue isnt a earth color)
have nice weekend later all:D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know about any "overated" T's, but I think there are definately ones in the hobby that deserve more attention! One of my favorites is P. cambridgei, subtle in it's beauty. Olive green, with nice peach cheverons on the abdomens. The males are spectacular, with thier increadbly long legs and "bushy" appearance. Here's a pic (by Art Evans) of one of my females.