Overfeeding?

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little (3/4") C. cyan is too big for the fruit flies i got him (Plus those things are a pain in the *ss to feed) So, Ive been feeding pinhead crix. I grab the cricket by the head with the forceps (killing it) then touch the cricket to the C.Cyans bed of web to evoke the feeding response.

Hasnt failed yet, This little guy eats like a monster.

My question is this: Will a sling stop eating when its full? I have watched this guys abdomen grow considerably in the last few days. Could overfeeding be detrimental to his health?

Im not worried about force feeding, or growing the spider any faster than normal, I just don't want him to starve. Whats a good feeding rate, 1 a day? 1 every 3 days? :?

Also, since I have your attention, My 1.25" A. Avic hasnt eaten yet (had him 4 days now) Should I try putting a cricket in front of him (using the forceps, of course) .. What kind of a time frame should I be worried? how long before i start freaking out? LOL.. The Avic hasnt put down any webbing yet, so crix stay on the bottom of the cage, and he stays at the top.

Im still new at this, And I dont want to loose any of "the kids"

Thanks for your time.

-Jason

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I have something to piggyback on top of this... why is it that everybody seems to think that fat T's are great? No PERSON enjoys being fat, why do so many T keepers seem to think that T's enjoy being fat? I've heard people tlak about it as if it's a bragging point... i.e. "my T's fatter than yours!".

Is it just a simple case of obsessing and feeding every 6 hours, or is it just that most keepers tend to take every feeding to the max and feed them as much as they will eat?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I personally feed my T's all they will eat.
My Curly hair is on a massive growth spurt from feeding him regularly, but I always stop when he looks fat.
I don't like them fat, it makes me uncomfortable, and it makes me worry about them a lot.
I think fat T's look stupid myself.
I know an oversize abdomen can cause problems at moulting time, for instance.
So basically, feeding my T's is like feeding me - I eat as much as I humanly can until I get a bit overweight, and then I lay off the food :)

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I feed my 1" spiderlings about 1 med. cricket every 3-4 days, and they seem to be doing fine.

Dennis

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't think it was detrimental to feed a sling or small spider as much as it will as often it will eat to encourage growth. I think the main concern would be if you continued feeding that way when it is close to its adult size.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i dont really have a routine for mine, just feed them now and again if nova is starting to look just a bit too fat i slow down a bit :D but shes never fat for long seeing as she molting so bloody often which results in a tiny abdomen after

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I have to be the laziest T- owner on this board, I think.

I feed mine every week, sometimes every other week. It's usually on my friday list of things to do. Haven't lost one yet to underfeeding, and on top of that, it's usually no more than 2 crickets per spider (the adults get two of the huge ones, the babies one small or maybe one medium sized)

Some of my T's are still starting to look fat (my b. smithi that molted about 6 months ago is already big and chunky, on 2 medium crickets a week)

I think the idea that these guys can go without food for very long periods in the wild should be considered, and even if it might make you feel a tad neglectful in your mind, isn't the goal to replicate the natural environment as close as possible (aside from predators, droughts, and other catastrophic events)?

Bill

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I feed my Ts twice a week, and between 2-4 crickets per feeding. My G. pulchra's getting a bit fat, so I need to cut her back just a bit. Otherwise, they are doing real good on this diet. I watch their behavior to determine if I should give another cricket. If they seem less eager to grab the cricket, then it's the last one for the night. I suppose feeding a little extra is okay when you're putting weight on an underfed T. Otherwise, why strain their systems? Obesity is not healthy for humans or snakes, why should it be any different for spiders?

Bry

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
I have something to piggyback on top of this... why is it that everybody seems to think that fat T's are great? No PERSON enjoys being fat, why do so many T keepers seem to think that T's enjoy being fat? I've heard people tlak about it as if it's a bragging point... i.e. "my T's fatter than yours!".

Is it just a simple case of obsessing and feeding every 6 hours, or is it just that most keepers tend to take every feeding to the max and feed them as much as they will eat?
They are so cool to watch when they eat...its hard to stop feeding them! We T lovers have to make up for the times during premolt when our T's won't eat. The joy I get from my T's is watching them eat.

That being said, when the abdomen of my T's starts to swell like a balloon, I hold back the food a bit. A fat swollen abdomen is the weak link in the T's armor. A fall could cause a crack in the abdomen, and result in death.

I plan for a fall by having a maximum 3" drop onto shagnum peat moss. I also have a "ladder" in my 5.5 gallon screened tank so that the T can get down off the lid without falling, on the very rare occasion it goes to the lid. The "ladder" is a pencil stuck into the substrate at a 45 degree angle touching the corner of the tank. My T never uses it on the way up, but always uses it on the way down.

Last edited:

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i don't recall where i heard this, possibly from bryan (cronoss here), but fat tarantulas usually end up dead because of bad moults. i don't know why, or what the science is behind it, but it makes sense to me. (i think it was something about being more difficult to get out of the exoskeleton)

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, a pinhead about twice / three times a week should be sufficent for my little C. cyan?

And if the A. avic (1.5") hasnt eaten in 7 days or so, I should try putting a crickett under him to get a feeding response?

I think ill get the "feel" for this eventually ;)

Thanks again!

-Jason

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by conipto
I have to be the laziest T- owner on this board, I think.

I feed mine every week, sometimes every other week....
Bill,

Just when I was starting to think I was the only one! I only feed my pedes once a week, and they've been fine... I try not to stuff them (except my big guy, who I'm trying to get to molt on more time). Seems leaner pedes are better eaters... wouldn't want them getting lethargic... ;)

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think what author is doing is power feeding the sling there. Kinda ok for slings. Just don't do the same thing with adults. They'll have a heart attack.

I feed mine some of mine on random occasions because they get their meals on random occasions in the wild. I power feed some of my slings.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually lam, Thats kinda why I asked.

In all honesty, Id rather not power feed my sling. I would much rather let it grow at a natural rate.

I guess the whole point of me asking was to figure out what the feeding timing should be for a sling. Once a week? 3 times a week?

Whats the longest youd let a sling go before feeding?

i dont wish to power feed, But I deffinately dont want to deprive my little guy either..

Thanks! :)

-Jason

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Overfeeding

my avic eats like a hog! yours is probably about to molt or it just finished molting. mine started molting the day i brought it home. the next morning, it took me a minute to figure out why i had 2 t's in there. also, my T. blondi sling looks like a tick with long hair it is so fat! don't worry, my immature avic now eats pinkies, or 3 adult crickets at a time and yours will too.

Kristin

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I feed my slings and small juveniles every other day(3-4 times a week). I only feed them one insect per feeding. After they become plump, I no longer feed them, until after they molt. This sometimes takes 1-2 months before they molt, but as long as they remain plump and have access to water, I do not worry.

I once was given a 1/2" B. albopolisum sling that had not been fed in almost 2 months, and it was fine. It was niether skinny or plump, and after about 2 weeks of feeding by my schedule it molted on the 3rd week.

I feed my mature(adult) T, one insect every 7-10 days.