Outcomes with MM

mmsimb

Arachnopeon
What choices do you have when you have a MM? I've seen a couple of pictures in the gallery with someone asking what they'll do with them, but I haven't seen answers.

Also, how do you know when males mature?

I recently discovered my P. Regalis is male (my fault for not looking sooner). He's 6" and last shed was approximately 4 months ago. His color has changed from my avatar picture to a duller abdomen.
Not sure what characteristics I should be looking for to know for sure that he's matured.

cold blood

Staff member
What choices do you have when you have a MM? I've seen a couple of pictures in the gallery with someone asking what they'll do with them, but I haven't seen answers.

Also, how do you know when males mature?

I recently discovered my P. Regalis is male (my fault for not looking sooner). He's 6" and last shed was approximately 4 months ago. His color has changed from my avatar picture to a duller abdomen.
Not sure what characteristics I should be looking for to know for sure that he's matured.
A MM just looks physically different...on top of that, it will have emboli at the ends of its palps.

If your male was 6" and molted, he's almost certainly mature.

Sell him to a breeder, trade him to a breeder for other slings or do a breeding loan...all can be accomplished in the classifieds here.

The only other option is to just keep him till he dies.

mmsimb

Arachnopeon
I recently told the reptile store I deal with for contacts for breeding.
I'll get nothing out of it but if anyone really wants to do it, might as well.
I can enjoy him while he lasts.

Definitely has emboli at the ends of his palps.

Thank you!

cold blood

Staff member
I recently told the reptile store I deal with for contacts for breeding.
I'll get nothing out of it but if anyone really wants to do it, might as well.
I just showed you how to get either cash or free slings in trade for him...why would you go an avenue where you get nothing out of it?...he's valuable to someone. I just paired my 2 females and sent the MM pictured to a friend in Chicago to breed with her female...she's been looking for a MM for nearly a year.

mmsimb

Arachnopeon
I just showed you how to get either cash or free slings in trade for him...why would you go an avenue where you get nothing out of it?.
I don't care about the money but of course I'd want slings. I'll keep a lookout for anyone he can be useful to. I'm on a few groups on FB and then the reptile stores I go to locally.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I don't care about the money but of course I'd want slings. I'll keep a lookout for anyone he can be useful to. I'm on a few groups on FB and then the reptile stores I go to locally.
Both Facebook and local pet stores have terrible reputations in this hobby for a reason. Not saying that you can't get a good deal, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would place an ad in the invertsonals part of this forum asap. Keepers of Poecilotheria are facing a possible ban on import/export/interstate traffic in the US. This makes every Poecilotheria already in there very valuable. This genus is already popular, so you should have no problem finding someone with a female and willing to trade/deal. You should do this asap because the fertility decreases as the male gets older.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You should do this asap because the fertility decreases as the male gets older.
As does their desire to even attempt to mate. I've had males that were old enough that they simply didn't even tap or make sperm webs anymore; they simply wasted away.

@mmsimb, make an ad. I bet you'll have a buyer within the day.

mmsimb

Arachnopeon
I'll make an ad.
The petstore I go to is reputable. I'm well aware there are sketchy ones.
Thanks.