Our two torts and their new habitat

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We rescued two male tortoises not too long ago. They have been through 4 homes (we are 5) that the last home knew about. They were kept in a 20 gallon tank on bark with no heat, none of the night lighting, not the correct food, no soaks, etc.

They are named A'Tuin and Chukwa. Chukwa is the smaller one, and he has had a rough time.. his eyes were sealed shut and seemed deflated, assuringly from dehydration. Both torts are doing much better in just a short time with proper care.

The substrate is the Bed-A-Beast style coconut fiber mock peat moss stuff, coconut bark pieces, and sand. There is a basking area, two water dishes, and a lit opposite side. I made two hides, as well. Cuttle bone and food plate are included. Not too shabby, eh? Sure beats the 20 gallon tank!!!

Chukwa is doing much better... eyes are open now. A'Tuin ate today! :)

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome set up! Those are some great tortoises! I would like to get one some day, but I am just not settled enough yet to take on such a huge project. They definately deserve all of the room to roam that you have given them. It is good to know that they are healing, it would be sad for those beautiful creatures to be lost due to neglect and mistreatment at another home.

Huzzah! For the great lifestyle and care of these beautiful reptiles!

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aww.. they are sooo cute!! They look happy to be in a home that is appropriate and so loving. ;) Good on ya for rescuing them!! :D Congratulations for open eyes and eating, too! Yey!! :clap:

I have my own little rescue here, an RF named Joob. She's eating and doing her tortie thing every day now... it's so good to see them improve.

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They seem confused as to what on earth to make of all the open space! It is like watching a game of musical torts... they follow each other around the box in a circle and then seem to scramble every so often to one of the hides, as if in a race suddenly to get there first.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are comical when they go from poor environment to "whoa!!! did you see that and that and what's THAT?? !!"

I laughed so hard the first time I took Joob outside in her grazing area... she didn't know what to do first, so she dipped in the "pool" and then ate some stuff and cruised around the big compost thingy and dipped in the "pool" again and finally wandered off to snooze under a bush. Before I was asked to take her in, she'd been in a pet store "cage" for so long, getting all the wrong foods and wasting away in a terrible environment. Now, she's one happy little tortie. :)