Orthoporus ornatus captive bred babies?!

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
Whoa! I just got three of these guys. Suddenly I have a tiny little ray of hope. :D Hopefully the owner will join and give up their secrets!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've come across him on Facebook as well. Didn't know he'd been able to pull it off with this species, that's awesome!

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I agree with @Marika
I'm skeptical that it's actually Orthoporus ornatus.
I've seen some small species like Marika linked and it looks more like that.

I guess time will tell yeah? If they're able to prove it's actually Orthoporus ornatus and it grows.

LiveVine

Arachnopeon
I agree with @Marika
I'm skeptical that it's actually Orthoporus ornatus.
I've seen some small species like Marika linked and it looks more like that.

I guess time will tell yeah? If they're able to prove it's actually Orthoporus ornatus and it grows.
I am the owner of them, just signed up! I was too quite skeptical when I first saw these tiny millipedes but it hasn't always looked this way, growth has been gradual but slow and as they live 15 years that's no surprise is it. I also find and study many other millipedes including the ones you referenced but they simply do not live here, there are other species and they are too small and differently coloured, I have done vast research on native myriapods and I have seen nothing like these. Additionally I microwaved and nuked all outside wood and soil.....Nothing native to me would survive. Also I will add the fact that the young and adult alike are very similarly coloured and act the same.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
@LiveVine

I hope you keep us all updated!
I'd love to see how they grow and develop and if they do well and survive.
It certainly is promising and gives us all hope if we can start successfully breeding them in captivity.
When did you first notice them? How many are there that you've noticed?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I am the owner of them, just signed up! I was too quite skeptical when I first saw these tiny millipedes but it hasn't always looked this way, growth has been gradual but slow and as they live 15 years that's no surprise is it. I also find and study many other millipedes including the ones you referenced but they simply do not live here, there are other species and they are too small and differently coloured, I have done vast research on native myriapods and I have seen nothing like these. Additionally I microwaved and nuked all outside wood and soil.....Nothing native to me would survive. Also I will add the fact that the young and adult alike are very similarly coloured and act the same.
Awesome! If you don't mind, what are the conditions in the tank? Is the substrate moist? How deep is the sub? Did you have to give them a dry spell?

Thanks!

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
Welcome! Please post updates and more pictures for us! :D As BobBarley asked, could you tell us how you're keeping your tank?

LiveVine

Arachnopeon
@LiveVine

I hope you keep us all updated!
I'd love to see how they grow and develop and if they do well and survive.
It certainly is promising and gives us all hope if we can start successfully breeding them in captivity.
When did you first notice them? How many are there that you've noticed?
I can't wait to see them grow! I have 2 so far and in a separate "nursing tub" I will check on them momentarily to see how they are :D and I really hope they grow and I can start a captive bred colony to disperse back into the US trade :) . Also I was just doing a basic dig through for young before I knew they were next to impossible to breed and found a tiny millipede that wasn't similar to any British ones, see I go out alot and I study alot of the world's inverts but obviously I see the native ones more, I have found small similar blind mills but the couloirs are completely different and there has been a steady growth too! :) I will try and pull up my older pics to show you and will definitely keep you all updated! Also to those who asked for breeding methods I will need to get all the specifics and keep on seeing what makes them more happy!

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
@LiveVine

It would certainly be a great thing to have happen, have captive bred specimens in the hobby. We could finally start breeding them in captivity and wouldn't have to keep pulling them from the wild.
Hopefully you'll continue to be successful and can figure what the secrets are so you can share with us all!
I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing this develop, and who knows, maybe you even have some more in there and just haven't found them yet!