Ornithoctoninae sp Phan Cay Red

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
So I’m looking for details on this species. Not so much care as I’m looking for solid species information. I understand they aren’t described formally, however all I can find are a few things here and there with no consistency. Any help would be appreciated

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Keep like any other ornithoctoninae as afar as I know. They’re gorgeous but too pricy since they’re new

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Keep like any other ornithoctoninae as afar as I know. They’re gorgeous but too pricy since they’re new
And I figured as much as far as care went, they were like any other ornithoctoniinae. However I can’t find any taxonomic info or even locations for where they are collected. I have 3 coming and beyond care, I’d like to know a bit more about the spiders themselves.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
They're from Vietnam, though beyond that I have no clue.

There may actually be two different related species under the "Phan Cay" label, as there is a "Phan Cay Blue" and a "Phan Cay Red" (basically identical except for the coloration). I have two juveniles of "Phan Cay Blue" that I got from a breeder as slings (they're much cheaper over here at around $60 per sling), care is basically the same as other arboreal Ornithoctoninae.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
They're from Vietnam, though beyond that I have no clue.

There may actually be two different related species under the "Phan Cay" label, as there is a "Phan Cay Blue" and a "Phan Cay Red" (basically identical except for the coloration). I have two juveniles of "Phan Cay Blue" that I got from a breeder as slings (they're much cheaper over here at around $60 per sling), care is basically the same as other arboreal Ornithoctoninae.
See, I haven’t seen Phan cay blue over here yet. Only the “Phan Cay” that go for roughly 250$ and the “Phan Cay Red” which run 500-600$ lol. I need to be where you’re at haha. I have three Phan Cay Red at the moment. I’ll be saving the exuvia in hopes of finding a taxonomist working with Ornithoctoninae/Selenocosmiinae.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
I think the "Phan Cay Blue" is the same thing as the standard "Phan Cay", but I'd have to check.

All the Asian arboreals/fossorials are insanely cheap over here as slings compared to in Europe or US. P. everetti and L. nigerrimum slings and C. schmidti gold color form juveniles for less than $40, O. sp. "Vietnam Silver" and P. sp. "Ackaya" slings for less than $45, H. devamatha slings (not an ornithoctonine but still rare) for less than $90, etc. Even things like psalmos or rare avics are also cheap, I've seen a place that has P. victori slings for less than $50.

On the flip side, brachys and Aphnopelma are insanely expensive over here (brachys used to be a lot more common but not anymore).

Last edited: