Ornithoctoninae sp. Phan Cay Red growout project

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Have you noticed any external dimorphism between themeless and females?
Not yet, however I also haven’t looked closely at them side by side ventrally. This weekend I’ll pull the male out and get side by side pics of him next to one of my females I’ll be rehousing.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not yet, however I also haven’t looked closely at them side by side ventrally. This weekend I’ll pull the male out and get side by side pics of him next to one of my females I’ll be rehousing.
Its been about two months, any update on these ones or the Phan cay blues?

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Its been about two months, any update on these ones or the Phan cay blues?
Yeah! Sorry, I have been slacking to be honest. I’ve gotten all 6 sexed at this point and ended up with 2 males, 4 females. I recently sent a male to a friend of mine who has a large 4”+ female.

All my females are molting to 3” or so and I’m keeping my males a bit cooler. I’ll try and get photos tomorrow or Monday as I just had two females molt in the last couple weeks.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
@SpookySpooder @IntermittentSygnal @Mike Withrow Alot has happened with the Phan Cay Red since my last post. I sent a male off to a friend of mine back in September. Then shortly after, I recieved a Hapolopus sp as part of a collection that was afflicted with an unknown fungus. I isolated the animal immediately, however withing a few weeks I started to see a very aggressive bolas fungus in several of my enclosures. In the process of changing substrate and rehousing the entirety of my collection I found that I had lost 1.2 Phan cay red, a single O sp malthai, a couple Sabah reds and some other odds and ends. I’m left with 0.2 Phan cay red for the time being of which neither are the most cooperative when it comes to being photographed. I managed to get these of the larger of my 2 remaining females.

IMG_8135.jpeg

IMG_8136.jpeg

Both the Phan cay red and Phan cay seem fairly tolerant of manipulation. I have yet to experience any defensiveness from any of them in the time I’ve had them.

fcat

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter
What is this fungus you saw? I couldn't find anything under "bolas"

Sorry for your losses.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
That must be devastating. I’m so sorry for your losses. Thank you for responding. Those two ladies remaining are beauties. I sincerely hope your remaining collection continues to do well and this fungus is all cleared.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
0.1 Ornithoctoninae sp Phan Cay Red

Both have molted again since this image was taken so I’ll have to get more updated photos 😅

IMG_8930.jpeg

IMG_8932.jpeg

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
It’s been a while since I last updated this. My 2 remaining females have molted again and are close to 4.5” now. Here are a few pics from the rehouse

IMG_6013.jpeg IMG_6005.jpeg IMG_6006.jpeg IMG_5995.jpeg IMG_5994.jpeg IMG_6001.jpeg IMG_6003.jpeg

A guy

Arachnobaron
Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful but I was expecting a bit more... red lol