ornamental baboon

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I ordered an ornamental baboon from the pet shop the company that is sending it says its terrestrial, slightly bigger than a rosehair, and is to be kept in the same way. they didn't have a scientiffic name but i figure it must be heteroscondra maculata. allthough they had a spider there a few weeks ago called a togo starburst so i don't think they would sell the same spider under two different names. so my question is are there any other species besides the togo that are commonly called an ornamental baboon or is this seller a complete idiot and keeping arboreals as terresrials

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
With Pet stores and common names.. you never know what to expect.. Though, Ornamental Baboon I have seen used to describe H. maculata in the past...

Bill

Kristen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is not uncommon for young Togo Starbursts to spend a fair bit of time on the ground, maybe this has something to do with the mislabelling of terrestrial on this spider?

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
h. maculata's are terrestrial?????? i thought they were an aggressive arboreal species.

Risto

Kristen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nope..h. maculatas are not terrestrial...they are an agressive arboreal species like you said!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i thought thats what they were...and i'm pretty sure they have a nasty bite too!

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as selling two Ts under one name, happens all the time. Pet stores generally sell them as what they get sold to them as, and even the best pet stores will often take the wholesaler's labelling as gospel. Also, it is easier to keep track of stock that way -- they don't have to remember that the spiders called so-and-so are the ones they bought as such-and-such for XYZ amount, because the names correspond to what they were sold to them as, and this is understandable.

My guess on the species is Heteroscodra maculata as others have said and while arboreal, the three I've had all lived in webbed up retreats at ground level. I suspect they may live more like Usambaras than true arboreals -- i.e. wherever they can find a spot.

Adrian

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
H.maculata

Ornamental baboon..togo starburst..H.maculata..same thing.I have one(appr.4"/f) and it's aboreal in nature.It's webbed up in behind a peice of corkbark glued to the glass.Haven't seen it go to the ground yet.Fast and aggressive.Catches the crickets as soon as they drop into the aquarium.Nice T to add to your collection....peace..

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought my H. as an ornamental baboon also, with similar instructions. she is definitly what she is latin-labeled. however, she looks little like the togo-starburst. she is primarily crepuscular (active only around dawn/dusk) and likes to pace her cage at these times. the rest of the time, she hides in an odd silken retreat at the bottom corner of her cage. she is the only one of my spiders to have ever escaped. she is very fast and very agressive. good luck! also, she eats the least of all of my spiders, could you let me know what yours eats/likes? mine gets options and eats little.

kristin

Kristen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm picking up an h. maculata on Tuesday...was supposed to be a surprise bday present for TheDon but I had to tell him about it! (he was going to buy another T tomorrow!) We're really looking forward to getting the little guy! Anyone have any tips for taking care of one?

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen some Pterinochilus species (I've forgotten the "sp. and ssp." meanings, could someone please remind me which are which? Thanks) labeled as 'ornamental baboons' in pet shops... Aslo, I don't think a shop would get a H.maculata down as 'terrestrial' unless it's a spiderling...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My new H. maculata was labeled as a "Starburst". She came home to her new house, went down the PVC burrow and hasn't come out since. (But is still alive.) She's only been home since Saturday last, so haven't had time for her to "relax' yet. I usually give them a couple of weeks to acclimate themselves. I had not idea they were arboreal... I got the impression that she was just a brown version of my orange bitey thing. So... I guess I should "arborealize" her tank!!

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok i got it in and it is definatly a togo starburst or at least the leg markings are the same i can't tell by the abdomen its so small you cant see any markings at all its cinnamon in color but the legs got a little and i mean very little white in them. i'm thinking the bastards sent me a male and i specificly told them i wanted a full grown female and they send me an immature male... go figure

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My male H maculata has never exhibited arboreal tendencies. I have had it since a tiny spiderling and it was always on the ground. STill is.