Ordered First Millipede! Care to Help?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I didn't even know such a thing existed :wideyed:

Anddd.... added to the neverending shopping list :D That is if they can be had here lol.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I didn't even know such a thing existed :wideyed:

Anddd.... added to the neverending shopping list :D That is if they can be had here lol.
Sadly, the U.S. no longer allows millipedes to be imported. :sour:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Why is that?

By the way, these babies love veggie fish food:

Because intrusive meddling politicians are always passing laws about things they know not about and/or fail to accomplish the stated objective. Don't get me started on the madness! :depressed:

Those pedelings are looking gorgeous! It's amazing how fast they've grown! :)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Because intrusive meddling politicians are always passing laws about things they know not about and/or fail to accomplish the stated objective. Don't get me started on the madness! :depressed:

Those pedelings are looking gorgeous! It's amazing how fast they've grown! :)
I am for smart regulations but I need to understand the reason behind it. I am sure somebody came up with something for this one, I wonder what...

The pedelings are super interesting as I have a wide variety of size. I still see very tiny ones coming out so I don't fully understand the dynamics here... o_O

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I am for smart regulations but I need to understand the reason behind it. I am sure somebody came up with something for this one, I wonder what...
Heh, you give our politicians too much credit, I think! :p In any case, a quick Google search did not reveal anything.

The pedelings are super interesting as I have a wide variety of size. I still see very tiny ones coming out so I don't fully understand the dynamics here... o_O
Many millipedes lay their eggs over a period of time instead of all at once. Congrats on all the pedelings! :D

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Horrible iphone photo in the dark with flash reflection everywhere but some of these are approaching adulthood. I need to design a larger terrarium soon if they go exponential on me:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Horrible iphone photo in the dark with flash reflection everywhere but some of these are approaching adulthood. I need to design a larger terrarium soon if they go exponential on me:

Congratulations! They are such striking beautiful millipedes! Hehe, yes, you will probably need to set up a larger terrarium and/or sell some of them. :angelic:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking

God they are beautiful, someone needs to get these into the US asap, they are beautiful! :D

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I have so many in my hand now! I wish I could sex them and sell in pairs...

Are you familiar with sexing millipedes? The males will be missing a pair of legs on ~7th segment as they are replaced by gonopods. In my experience, Polydesmidan millipedes are the easiest to sex because their legs are so much more spaced apart. :) That millipede at the bottom of the above photo looks like it could be a male (or that may just be the illusion of a space caused by how the legs are positioned). If it helps, here is a photo that I took of a male Eurymerodesmus melacis (sorry about the quality -- it's a small millipede and my iPhone had difficulty focusing):

It's head is at the bottom. After the first few segments which have one pair of legs each, the diploid segments begin, but then you reach a segment which has only one pair of legs as the anterior pair has been replaced by what look like two circular bumps in this photo.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Are you familiar with sexing millipedes? The males will be missing a pair of legs on ~7th segment as they are replaced by gonopods. In my experience, Polydesmidan millipedes are the easiest to sex because their legs are so much more spaced apart. :) That millipede at the bottom of the above photo looks like it could be a male (or that may just be the illusion of a space caused by how the legs are positioned). If it helps, here is a photo that I took of a male Eurymerodesmus melacis (sorry about the quality -- it's a small millipede and my iPhone had difficulty focusing):

It's head is at the bottom. After the first few segments which have one pair of legs each, the diploid segments begin, but then you reach a segment which has only one pair of legs as the anterior pair has been replaced by what look like two circular bumps in this photo.
Thanks a lot for the info. Maybe I will try if I can find some time...

ArthropodLegs

Arachnopeon
Why is that?

By the way, these babies love veggie fish food:

@Najakeeper Not sure if you're still on here, but I was wondering what the ingredients were for "veggie fish flakes" that the pedelings really liked? Seems like most have spirulina, kelp, and fish meal as the first ingredients, but I'm not sure which should be the first/majority ingredient. Or should there be no fish since its "veggie"?