Orchid Mantis Acting Strange

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Orchid is 6th instar now I believe, just starting to develop the pink hue. It’s been doing fine up until this last week. Despite a moderately thin abdomen, I can’t get it to eat, and today I noticed it was moving slower than normal. I’m not sure what to make of this as I’ve been offering food and spraying the mesh in its enclosure.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I don't know much about orchid mantises but I take care of some giant african mantids, have you tried cutting a mealworm in half and offering the juicy side?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
My Orchid is 6th instar now I believe, just starting to develop the pink hue. It’s been doing fine up until this last week. Despite a moderately thin abdomen, I can’t get it to eat, and today I noticed it was moving slower than normal. I’m not sure what to make of this as I’ve been offering food and spraying the mesh in its enclosure.
Crush the head of the prey and hold it to it’s mouth. How are you keeping it, I need pictures.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crush the head of the prey and hold it to it’s mouth. How are you keeping it, I need pictures.

E7EAE320-FCC8-4697-BD03-ED1BBA1B33EF.jpeg

Paper towel is changed every few days, I mist pretty frequently, and there are plenty of vent holes. I’ve had no trouble getting it to eat until this week.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I’ve been using crickets pretty much the whole time. Unfortunately it only looks to be getting worse. Must just be bad luck, thanks for your input!
That actually may be your issue. Crickets are a big nono. They can harbor bacteria that tarantulas and other spiders can break down, but mantids are way more sensitive than spiders to these things. What do you feed your crickets?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That actually may be your issue. Crickets are a big nono. They can harbor bacteria that tarantulas and other spiders can break down, but mantids are way more sensitive than spiders to these things. What do you feed your crickets?
Fish food for protein combined with carrots and small portions of other vegetables.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Carrots with crickets kill mantids. Something in their get turns it to a sort of acid that destroys their innards.
Really?? I can’t believe I’ve never heard that. Most of my other mantises are doing alright, but I’ll try switching to Roaches and mealworms.

Does this affect all feeders or mainly crickets? I give a lot of my feeders carrots.