Orange mark on abdomen: Brachypelma Albopolisum

Emilia Sage

Arachnopeon
Here's a pic of my B albo set up for comparison. View attachment 228558 (Ignore the holes in the sides)
View attachment 228559
Such a difference in size compared to mine, he definitely is tiny. I wonder if I have too little substrate for him it's fairly low compared to others, he was given to me like this. I don't want him to fall and if it does happen for it to not be that high. Would you suggest I get some more substrate?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ah I see, I'll try to measure him tomorrow when he's in a more social mood. Thanks for the tip. Are there any other ways? Well for the temperature, he''s on my bearded dragon's vivarium one hot and one cold area, but at night its off. Should he be somewhere else to avoid sudden temperature changes or is he doing fine? Yeah he certainly has, he will probably need a bigger vivarium though to accommodate him when he does grow. I just want to be clued up on things so I know I'm doing it right. Oh wow that's a lot! Where do you keep them all?
well, some people measure the body lengh of the spider, i think thats stupid because a fat 2.5" spider could be the same size as a skinny 4" specimen. as long as temps are 70+ youre good. a pic of the whole cage would help a lot. :)
ahah some people have hundreds of tarantulas, my collection is maybe a little above average on these boards. theres pics of it in the link in my signature if youre interested.
the distance between the substrate and the top of the cage should be no more than 1.5x the spider DLS, (leg span). anymore is dangerous as terrestrials are vulnerable to falls.

id give him another couple inches of sub there. also, i know its a pain in the ass, but you might want to swap out the lid. i cant see it, but i think its screen. they can get their claws stuck in them and lose legs from dangling. just something to keep in mind.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's a good job you mentioned about their fangs, my B.Albopolisum has red fangs right now like they're ready to go black. Should I not be feeding him? He had a cricket 4 days ago so I'm wondering if that's too early. His abdomen is quite small at the moment but I'm wondering if that's just because he's small right now anyway? Just need general information about curly hairs really.
Red fangs too early to feed.

Ab size, is "small", useless subjective word, need a pic showing entire T from above. Pic you provided before not helpful enough, doesn't show ab in relation to rest of body.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would you suggest I get some more substrate?
Yes, you want distance from sub to lid about 1.5x their DLS.

Also, screen top not good. They get their tarsal hooks stuck in the screen top. I'm guessing that's a screen top.

Your pic is out of focus, hard to say, your T could be a male. But honestly, the best and only way to sex a T is by looking at their molts.

MMs can be ID'd via anatomical changes on their pedipalps, they get enlarged at the front. Often called "boxing gloves", and some species develop "hooks" on their front leg.

If Mature, he will wander around a lot, sometimes non-stop, trying to get out, eat very little as well if mature, maybe not at all.

Emilia Sage

Arachnopeon
well, some people measure the body lengh of the spider, i think thats stupid because a fat 2.5" spider could be the same size as a skinny 4" specimen. as long as temps are 70+ youre good. a pic of the whole cage would help a lot. :)
ahah some people have hundreds of tarantulas, my collection is maybe a little above average on these boards. theres pics of it in the link in my signature if youre interested.
the distance between the substrate and the top of the cage should be no more than 1.5x the spider DLS, (leg span). anymore is dangerous as terrestrials are vulnerable to falls.

id give him another couple inches of sub there. also, i know its a pain in the ass, but you might want to swap out the lid. i cant see it, but i think its screen. they can get their claws stuck in them and lose legs from dangling. just something to keep in mind.
I think I'll just go with the first way you suggested. I think he's okay I mean he's been there for 5 days now and he seems pretty happy. Yeah that is quite a lot but at least you care for them that's the main thing. Don't think I could manage that many though haha. I will have a look yeah. The picture I attached was the whole cage, I was think of putting more in there too. Yeah it's the same material all the way around. I'm thinking about getting him another cage anyway as I don't want any possibility of it breaking. Definitely don't want that happening either. Will chang it soon as. Thanks for the tip.

Emilia Sage

Arachnopeon
Yes, you want distance from sub to lid about 1.5x their DLS.

Also, screen top not good. They get their tarsal hooks stuck in the screen top. I'm guessing that's a screen top.

Your pic is out of focus, hard to say, your T could be a male. But honestly, the best and only way to sex a T is by looking at their molts.

MMs can be ID'd via anatomical changes on their pedipalps, they get enlarged at the front. Often called "boxing gloves", and some species develop "hooks" on their front leg.

If Mature, he will wander around a lot, sometimes non-stop, trying to get out, eat very little as well if mature, maybe not at all.
I'm looking at getting more sub until I can find a decent cage for him. It is a glass top, but this is what he was in when I bought him so I just assumed it was okay. I asked the guy at the shop who I bought him from and because he had molted he said everything is suggesting he's male. He's not mature yet I don't think, he doesn't want to get out at all yet just seems quite happy in his cage. I think I'll have to wait again to see for sure if he's an Albus or a Gwen I guess. Only time will tell.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wish I knew that before feeding him. I've attached a photo of his whole body so you can see.
Very pretty Albo..very pretty! Abdomen looks slender for a female, but not necessarily overly slender for a mature male. I'd certainly feed him once his fangs are black. If the lid is glass, and you have ventilation on the side, then you are fine, just increase sub height when possible.

Emilia Sage

Arachnopeon
Very pretty Albo..very pretty! Abdomen looks slender for a female, but not necessarily overly slender for a mature male. I'd certainly feed him once his fangs are black. If the lid is glass, and you have ventilation on the side, then you are fine, just increase sub height when possible.
Thank you, the thing that attracted me to him over any other Ts in the shop. There was a mature one also but didn't think I was ready for that just yet. Plus he looked a lot better. I will do, I'll have to try and take the cricket that I put in there earlier though. Quick little critters they are. Yeah thereally is metal mesh on the side but the holes are tiny so his legs won't get stuck.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thank you, the thing that attracted me to him over any other Ts in the shop. There was a mature one also but didn't think I was ready for that just yet. Plus he looked a lot better. I will do, I'll have to try and take the cricket that I put in there earlier though. Quick little critters they are. Yeah thereally is metal mesh on the side but the holes are tiny so his legs won't get stuck.
It's not his legs get stuck. It's the tarsii at the end of legs. Sorta like long toenails. That's why we warn about it. It has happened to people and their T has a fatal fall.

Emilia Sage

Arachnopeon
It's not his legs get stuck. It's the tarsii at the end of legs. Sorta like long toenails. That's why we warn about it. It has happened to people and their T has a fatal fall.
Yeah that's what I mean I just didnt want to sound silly and call them toes haha. He should be okay though until I find a more suitable home for him

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thank you. Aw cool, so does that mean I'm feeding my little guy too much then as he gets fed every 4 to 5 days?
When I first got my piglet, she'd scarf down 2 med. crics a day:eek:.
If I were you, I'd listen to venom. He posted at 3:17 pm on page one really good advice. ;)

Emilia Sage

Arachnopeon
When I first got my piglet, she'd scarf down 2 med. crics a day:eek:.
If I were you, I'd listen to venom. He posted at 3:17 pm on page one really good advice. ;)
Wow that is a lot! Oh yeah definitely I'm going to take his advice I just want to see what others have to say as other people I know have said differently to what you guys are saying. Thank you all for your help though, I still have loads of questions to ask!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Wow that is a lot! Oh yeah definitely I'm going to take his advice I just want to see what others have to say as other people I know have said differently to what you guys are saying. Thank you all for your help though, I still have loads of questions to ask!
Yeah I meant viper (or venom). Sigh. Still have mush for brains because of the cold I got. :banghead::bag:

Emilia Sage

Arachnopeon
Yeah I meant viper (or venom). Sigh. Still have mush for brains because of the cold I got. :banghead::bag:
There's 2 but I think you're talking about Venom haha. Oh dear, that's not good! Put your feet up and relax! That's what I would do if I could! Hope it goes away for you soon

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I wish I knew that before feeding him. I've attached a photo of his whole body so you can see.
That is one beautiful looking B.albopilosum! Looks like the species from Nicaragua. Did the seller say where it came from?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you. Aw cool, so does that mean I'm feeding my little guy too much then as he gets fed every 4 to 5 days?
No-- you'll see feeding is subjective on this forum.

Some feed sparingly like the Ts are prisoners in a Nazi death camp and others feed them like they are visitors at an all you can eat buffet in Las Vegas hotels