Orange Headed Roaches "Eublaberus Prosticus"

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I finally saw my one of my roches squeeze an egg case out and rediposit it in her body.

How long does it take after this before the babys are born?

I keep their enclosures at around 75-80+ F, with a dip at night.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first generation of offspring from my starter 24 roaches have begun to mature over the last two weeks. The adult population is increasing more and more every day now. I've been feeding off the colony now but only nymphs that are ~1 inch in size. anything larger is being allowed to mature. There is a huge population of large nymphs so the colony should be bursting with babies in a couple months. Its cool to watch them now because there are so many that they just rip through food. They will go through 4 orange slices in an hour or so and leave peels that have been picked clean. Its almost bizzare to see a bunch of lettuce or other veggies crowding the feeding area and then look back in a few hours and its all gone.

Last edited:

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
About how many times can you inbreed roaches? Not that the quality is much of an issue to me; but, do you owners of roach colonies eventually introduce new bloodlines? Or, do they fair all right from say, 3 adults as in Buspirone's case?

-Matt

Last edited:

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bloodlines

When I first started getting roaches two years ago I started a few colonies. Since then I have added a few more and am up to seven species. I was lucky that most of the people I bought from had several species so I always bought some of each. Except for my 6-spots and giant caves I have at least 2-3 different bloodlines. I actually just ordered 2 dozen more giant caves from a differant source to add some diversity. I don't have any clue if this matters or not, but it can't hurt. My next goal is to seperate my death heads into groups of brown and black. I want to see if I breed the black to black if all the nymphs will stay black. I guess will know in a few months.
James

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
James,

how goes the test to see if black true. any results yet.

Israel

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
YES!!! :) I finally caught some of my orange heads in the act. funny thing was one was freshly molted like in Buspirone's pic.

Now it's just a waiting game for these guys and all the little nymphs of my Six spots to grow up.

Archangel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm so confused

I was told that if I bought 2 dozen orange heads I would need a colony of about 150 to support around 40 T's and that it would take those 2 dozen about 1 year to get to 150. :eek: I was going to keep them in 2 10 gal tanks next to the T's since they don't stink. Tell me where I'm going wrong and who's feeding me BS please. :mad: And what are those hard bodied little guys with the winged adults?

Thanks

Last edited:

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They take around 3 to 4 months to go from newly born nymphs to adults, so if what you get is nymphs (which it mostly will be) you'll have to wait for them to reach adulthood then you have to wait around a month for them to have babies. Then you have to wait the 3 to 4 months for them to become adults. So around a year is a good estimate on getting a self-sutaining colony going.

Those little hard bodied guys in the picture are the nymphs.

You could keep all 24 in a ten.
I keep my orange heads and six spots in 66 quarts (16.5 gallons) storage containers. Right now I have about a 100 of each.

Hey James,

The two weeks ago I had a big die off of adults in the six spots i bought from you. I don't know if it was something I did or just age.

Last edited:

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
6-spot

Its really hard to tell. I loose one or two a week from my adults and you never really now if its old age or if they are not eating and getting enough water or what. Good to hear the orange heads are breeding now. Its very important to keep the heat up, plenty of food, and as dark as possible. They are a great breeding roach and you will start seeing lots of tiny babies soon.
james

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok update on my Orange heads. The first batch of babies didn't last very long, they just seemed to dissapear, I think they got eaten, but who knows.
Had not seen any breeding for a while then this past weekend I caught some of the orange heads and some of the six spot breeding, also found a good number of tiny nymphs in the orange head bin. Was shifting through the debris on the bottom of the bin and noticed something small move so i took a closer look. Yup a bunch of babies :D. Hope these ones live.

I have pictures of my bins, just need to find the time to put them up.
They're on the home computer and i never find time to get on at home.

Israel

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
roaches

Really got to keep those orange heads fed well. Mine breed like crazy and it seems like I produce tons of them. I started using a small amount of substrate again with them and a couple others to protect smaller babies. I decided to sell my cross colony as I figured it wasn't worth it. I have true colonies of craniifer and fusca going. I have several hundred nymphs from each and hope to have 500+ breeders of both in the next few months. True craniifer have become one of my more favorite roaches, but with 10 new species coming in they will have competition.
James
www.blaberus.com

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've noticed by having alot of debris in the bottom of the bin it helps with the babies, more places to hide, the adults and larger nymphs stay up in the egg crate.

Attachments

Last edited: