Opportunism in T Diet

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is not a post that is for or against feeding captive Ts insects vs insects + (insert whatever, usually a mammal). It merely demonstrates their opportunistic nature in the wild.

I happened to be looking through Rick West's site and hadn't seen this pic before of an Avic. I sure would have loved to see how this interaction occurred given the type of prey it has.

http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0051

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Very impressive. I would have never thought that an avic (with their weak venom) could effectively take down a bat. I would have imagined that the bat would easily break free. Thanks for sharing.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
This is not a post that is for or against feeding captive Ts insects vs insects + (insert whatever, usually a mammal). It merely demonstrates their opportunistic nature in the wild.

I happened to be looking through Rick West's site and hadn't seen this pic before of an Avic. I sure would have loved to see how this interaction occurred given the type of prey it has.

http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0051
That uricans looks alot like my A. metallica which makes me question the true species id.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That uricans looks alot like my A. metallica which makes me question the true species id.
Sounds like you may have urticans then.

A. metallica have white dorso-lateral setae on their abdomen, in place of the red shown on the urticans in that photo.

I've owned both urticans and metallica, side by side you can see they are different. If I had urticans pics I'd post them for you. There was no white on the abdomen, just the red.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Sounds like you may have urticans then.
Avics confuse me. I was told by another forum member that I had A. metallica. I looked through the Genus Avicularia thread and saw 2 or 3 species that all look like my T in question D: I'll post a pic of her in the Gallery in just a sec.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avics confuse me. I was told by another forum member that I had A. metallica. I looked through the Genus Avicularia thread and saw 2 or 3 species that all look like my T in question D: I'll post a pic of her in the Gallery in just a sec.
W/out hijacking my own thread too much, it's never a wise idea to ID Ts, esp Avics via pics. I can't find the thread I posted in BUT someone posted an Avic they own, and later posted another pic of the same T, looked like 2 different Ts.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
W/out hijacking my own thread too much, it's never a wise idea to ID Ts, esp Avics via pics. I can't find the thread I posted in BUT someone posted an Avic they own, and later posted another pic of the same T, looked like 2 different Ts.
Just published he photo 2 seconds before I read your post. sorry for hijacking your thread but metallicas have blue highlights on the body correct?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just published he photo 2 seconds before I read your post. sorry for hijacking your thread but metallicas have blue highlights on the body correct?
Just PM me. Highlights mean's nothing to me on a T whose entire body is blue. :cool:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Great now I have to find bats to make my Avics happy... Uggh thanks viper...

*Pokies Grumbles about Rabies while grabbing a butterfly net*

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great now I have to find bats to make my Avics happy... Uggh thanks viper...

*Pokies Grumbles about Rabies while grabbing a butterfly net*
MAN, I almost mentioned you in the first post, I saw that pic and thought of you instantly! Glad you like!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
MAN, I almost mentioned you in the first post, I saw that pic and thought of you instantly! Glad you like!
Yea it's an awesome pic thanks for posting this! Feel free to "tag"me in stuff like this when it comes up..

There was another post on here recently that mentioned Ts possibly hunting bats in caves.. I cant recall what species though...Nice to see proof that in the wild some Ts will take down pretty much anything available as long as it can be over powered..

Or maybe that T was in that tree looking for bats.. I doubt it but hey never know! Lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea it's an awesome pic thanks for posting this! Feel free to "tag"me in stuff like this when it comes up..

There was another post on here recently that mentioned Ts possibly hunting bats in caves.. I cant recall what species though...Nice to see proof that in the wild some Ts will take down pretty much anything available as long as it can be over powered..

Or maybe that T was in that tree looking for bats.. I doubt it but hey never know! Lol
HAHAH yeah tha's the exact thread I was thinking of too, but couldn't remember where it was, so posted this up instead. Will do on the tagging. I always knew they ate more than insects, but never had the photographic proof myself either.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Awesome! I wouldnt have thought an urticans would be able to tackle that sort of prey. Interesting.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Really! Not to sound morbid but the image of a pokie pouncing on a bat is pretty cool..

It might explain why they have such a strong fast acting venom..
I agree. I was surprised to see this species of Avic ranked so high on that list posted in another thread (venom injected kills mouse in 8 minutes). It was better than some OW T's.