Opistophthalmus sp?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This was sold to me as a Hissing Scorpion some time ago. I think it is a Opistophthalmus sp. Do any of you have any ideas as to the species? Is it even a Opistophthalmus sp or am I way off?

One more pic

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Its definitely an Opistophthalmus sp.....possibly glabifrons or boehmi O. sp, are difficult to ID as the coloration of a particular individual can vary...Most of the species look quite similar.

Jihn
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If it is indeed O. glabifrons, it must be a male. The pedipalps are too slender to be a female. Either that or probably too long to be an O. glabifrons. The grooves on the pedipalps are much more ridgid than the O. glabifrons I keep. All of my adults are females though. Appearance of the pedipalps leads closer to the female O. longicauda. Obviously the photo on the Scorpion Files with male and female, the female's tergite is quite darker, but color morphs are not unusual in this trade, nor are difficult to identify scorpions though.

edw.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jeremy-

Did you get that at the Fredericksburg show awhile back? If so, I think I also purchased one from the same dealer, I think he was calling them Tanzanian.

I'm also curious about it, I looked through all those he had available. None looked quite like O. glabifrons, they were duller (not shiney), darker, and smaller than most O. glabifrons. Also cheaper, but that's not always a good taxonomic tool :D

Wade

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very good Wade, I did buy it at the Fredricksburg show back in September-October 02' maybe? I think I paid like $10 for it, but don't hold me to that. I wish I had picked up a few more, this guy is so cool.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The guy I got mine from had them marked as Mozambique Hissing Scorpions... *lol* I guess every one of the dealers have their own little name for the scorp. My purchase was shortly before your's though (around August or so [don't really remember for sure]). It was also, as I had stated, in Atlanta, Ga.

edw.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Funny you mention "Mozambique", I'm pretty sure now that I think about it that it was labled as a Mozambique hissing Scorpion. I had completly forgotten about that. I will sift through my millon or so containers I've collected over the years and see if I still have the label on the lid it came in.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe he told me Mozambique as well...he didn't seem to know much about them, so I didn't commit the things he said to memory! I think I paid 12, thought that was a steal. Neat scorpion, deep burrower, but it's topside a fair amount as well.

Wade

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I may have paid $12 too, I don't remeber things like that to well. The guy was selling some slings too, H gigas, and Pterror come to mind. It must be the same guy since there were only three people selling inverts at that show: him, you, and some other guy in the back of the bulding that was way to expensive.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The guy I remember appeared to be Mexican (perhaps just a local seller in Atlanta, but could be the same guy) and had, like you guys said, no clue about the scorpions. The containers I have read 12 bux, though I think paid a little less to the guy (he seemed quite desperate to sell them).

Mine are slightly different in coloration. The ones you have appear to be closer to boehmi. O. ecristatus is usually the lightest in the American found specimen, glabifrons is the next and boehmi is usually the darker. That's what I have noticed about the ones in captivity that I have seen.

edw.