Opinions on naming Tarantulas.

SoulSpiegel12

Arachnosquire
What is your opinion on naming your tarantulas? I always name mine since I always name my pets. I especially like giving them names that reflect their personality or color scheme.

Ashley2070

Arachnopeon
I name mine though I only have 6 at the moment. Can't imagine naming them if I had 30+ like a lot of people on here.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I don't anthropomorphize them. I call them by their scientific name followed by 'A' or another letter depending on how many of the species I have when referring to them. I don't really understand calling them a name since they don't have the capacity to understand it, but that's just me.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't anthropomorphize them. I call them by their scientific name followed by 'A' or another letter depending on how many of the species I have when referring to them. I don't really understand calling them a name since they don't have the capacity to understand it, but that's just me.
Teenagers have names don't they?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While I don't name all of my tarantulas and other inverts, I do give names to a few of them. I use them in classroom presentations and in summer school classes about bugs and spiders that I teach. When introducing them to children (or even adults) who might be a little nervous about big spiders, I've found that giving them a friendly-sounding or even silly name really helps to break the ice.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All my 18 tarantulas have names, as you can see on my profile, besides one of my male C.Marshalli, (Can't think of one), and I'm getting 7 more this week who will also have names. I never "call" them by it, I know they can't understand it, but I just like giving pretty names to pretty spiders. :p When I think about them in my head I just think of their scientific names though.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I stopped naming when got to 20+ specimens. I have limited imagination these days.

TheTHut

Arachnopeon
I always name my Ts, I only have 9 at the moment though but i think i would always name them. i know they dont have understanding of it but i like to think they all have their own personalities :)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I give mine names. That's one of the simplest pleasures of pet ownership, imo. I also don't think giving something a name necessarily means you're anthropomorphizing it; I named all of my guitars too, that doesn't mean I think they're part human... :p

Plus giving them all names makes it easier for my friends to ask about them. I don't think any of my buddies or coworkers would ever say something like "How's that Lasiodora difficilis doing, Andy?" It's much easier for them to ask how Lucy is doing, and I am happy to answer!

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Mine all have Greek deity names. The scorpions have Roman deity names.
I don't talk to them in baby talk calling them by their names but naming them makes me happy

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As your collection grows, you see the hopelessness of trying to come up with enough names. For me, naming them fell by the wayside decades ago. When you're breeding, you have dozens (even hundreds) of slings coming and going in sales and trades, males maturing and dying of old age, etc. Seems ridiculous at this point unless there's a child in the house who may have trouble with latin.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Except for my first tarantula, Parker(so original I know), all of mine have serial killer names.

When I get up to 20 I'll probably stop naming them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The mods really should just lock this thread now :shifty: The last time this blew up, it was 10+ pages and the thread was deleted. This is the mild one.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/naming-your-ts.282561/

If you want opinions, though...
I don't name them at all. After having only a few dozen specimens, it becomes impossible to keep track of the names in your head. This is especially true if you have multiples of the same species. My (now ex) girlfriend would name them, and it would help me communicate with her about them. A small handful of my absolute favorite specimens (about 5 spiders) have names, and that's all.

Although, it's an opinion. If you want to name them, name them. If you don't want to name them, then don't.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Except for my first tarantula, Parker(so original I know), all of mine have serial killer names.

When I get up to 20 I'll probably stop naming them.
You never know, Lady. Who knows, there's always the little % chance that, a Parker, someday, will decide to jump out on a rapture killing spree like Ramirez, Gacy, Lucas or else. Don't lose faith! :-s

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I give mine names just for the heck of it. They go unnamed until I think of a name. Just named the C. fimbriatus "Rasputin."
Why?.....Why not?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All my critters get names. I have 86 OBT slings from one of my females... We named them after islands.

It makes it easier to discuss them with other folk, especially those without Ts. And, I just like naming things :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
All my critters get names. I have 86 OBT slings from one of my females... We named them after islands.

It makes it easier to discuss them with other folk, especially those without Ts. And, I just like naming things :)
Do you own a label maker? If you do you must constantly be running out of print paper heheh

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

No doubt remembering 86 island names is easy. And of course there's a need to be able to refer to each of the individually, because other people care so much about it...

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
The mods really should just lock this thread now :shifty: The last time this blew up, it was 10+ pages and the thread was deleted. This is the mild one.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/naming-your-ts.282561/

If you want opinions, though...
I don't name them at all. After having only a few dozen specimens, it becomes impossible to keep track of the names in your head. This is especially true if you have multiples of the same species. My (now ex) girlfriend would name them, and it would help me communicate with her about them. A small handful of my absolute favorite specimens (about 5 spiders) have names, and that's all.

Although, it's an opinion. If you want to name them, name them. If you don't want to name them, then don't.
I saw the title to this thread and the first thought that came to me was "oh boy, duck and cover." I can't believe how out of control this became last time.

To respond to the OP, I name mine for the sake of family and friends who struggle with Latin names and don't have the interest to learn them like we do, but I rarely ever label them with their names or state their names to anyone else.