Opinions on GBB?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For those of you who keep C. cyans, do they make good display Ts? Do you actually see them, or do you just feel like you're caring for a box of dirt and webbing?

Bry

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see mine pretty much all the time. It's usually suspended in the massive web-construct it has created. Not only are GBB's decent for display but the webbing they do is something to see itself. At least in my opinion.

Atrax

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
my cyan has webbed herself into her enclosure nice and tight. i never, ever get to see her. perhaps one day she will grace me with her presence!

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Massive webbing.

Its kinda cool

As far as a display T, I cant comment.. My little C. cyan is still a 3/4" sling.

-Jason

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bry,

They love to web and are usually out and about except when in premolt, molt or postmolt.

One of my faves by far!!

As a matter of fact, I'm attempting to locate a juvie gbb myself!

Best wishes,

Paul

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an adult female and an adult mature male, both are out in the open just about all the time.......both are heavy webbers also.
Ed

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got mine at about 1.5 in I see her all that time

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
both my females are out alot, one of them is all over her container. They are always out in the evening, and alot of times during the day as well.
Both mine are pigs, and will readily accept food from the tweezers.
They are both skittish and flicky, but otherwise not defensive either.
I highly recommend them as a display T!

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBB is an awesome display T, mine is always out but it's only about 1", but i can always see it, lots of web too which makes looking at it even funner!! haha, you should get one!!!
Mike

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
A definite must have for every collector!

Mine (3/4") has an extensive web also, but it's kind of like a hammock, and she stays on top all of the time. If she's a little scared, she has an exit hole down on side and will hide... but the majority of the time is on top looking simply mahhhhvelous!!!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine webbed crazy, but you can see her/him fine!

DEF get one :)

peace
dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I don't like them. I don't like the way they look and I don't like their (lack of) personality. I don't like Avicularia either, though, so what do I know? I am trading my mature female GBB this Saturday. I usualy have a hard time getting rid of things, but I know she is going to a guy who loves the species and has breeding intentions. And I get two spiders of a species I do like (C.fasciata .. been jealous ever since the day Tamara picked one up) so I'm happy.

As for display, she is always out and webs fairly heavily, but not nearly as much as my Usumbaras. I can see her whenever I want, but have never really cared to.

Cheers,
Dave

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine doesn't really do much but sit in his/her webbed hide all day (althought I have managed to catch it out and about at night, always spinning more webbing). But then again, it's just a tiny sling, so maybe things will change as it grows. The adult coloration, though, is really incredible. It's such a pretty bug.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you know, i may be alone on this, but I don't like their colours. Takes all kinds, i suppose. I say get one since you should get them all.

It's wierd. I'm not attracted to their colours.

but DEF. get one! then get every other T =D

peace
dave

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What, is it a Dave thing?
Are Daves color blind?
What colors do Daves like?
You guys don't like green, blue and orange?
Hello, Mc Fly. Anybody home?

Just kidding Guys. LOL;P ;P

Ernie

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
LOL! Well, I can't speak for the other Dave, but no, I don't like green, blue and orange. Too much colour for a T without any patterning. I'll take green, blue or orange, though.

That being said, my ex once tried to explain to me why you can't wear chamo pants, a purple t-shirt, a plaid jacket and combat boots all at the same time. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. :)

Cheers,
Dave

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got a question

Usumbaras or gbb, i want to get a spider that webs alot but you can see sometimes and with alittle personality to them what would you guys rather have???

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
geez, i feel like the puppy here, but i'm with the other dave -- It's just too much colour for me :)

I will say this -- I'd take the blue and green, rather than the orange.

And Sean, i don't know how many T's you have, but if you've never had a T before, i'd steer clear of an Usumbara, although I don't know about anyone else, but i would LOVE to see your posts if you got an Usumbara for your first T... oh man.. i can see it now...."HELP, MY T IS TRYING TO KILL ME" .. ;P =D

but the GBB tends to attract alot of people. Just make sure you're not trying to attract any Dave's i guess. :)

peace
dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Re: I got a question

Originally posted by Sean
and with alittle personality to them
This is the key to your query in my eyes. Usumbaras have a LOT of personality. If you can handle it, I'd take one over a GBB any day. Do not underestimate their agressiveness, though. If you don't have the experience, the GBB is better.

Cheers,
Dave

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: I got a question

Originally posted by Sean
Usumbaras or gbb, i want to get a spider that webs alot but you can see sometimes and with alittle personality to them what would you guys rather have???
Gbb! Much more colorful and not as defensive. Also very hardy! And very webby!! I've had gbbs that were as webby as Usambaras easily! They also have that metallic blue shiny look like a cobalt blue when in the sunlight!

Little horror story for you: I once launched a gbb ten feet up into the air thinking it was biting me or that was about to (this is when I first got into the hobby) but it turned out to be "sharp feet" as my wife puts it (it's prickly little tarsi). At any rate, what happened was the gbb ran up out of it's tank onto the wall. So I attempted to move it back into its tank. These boogers are quick when they want to be, and sure enough it decided to race onto my hand. Being it was the first time I had handled him, and this handling wasn't expected, I wasn't sure what to expect. I got the willies and reacted as if it was going to bite. It all happened very quickly and I had a kneejerk reaction. I flung the poor theraphosid clear up to the cathedral ceiling in the bedroom and it came plummeting down onto the floor with a thump. I turned and looked to see if it was okay, with a mixture of anger at myself for reacting in such a way, and concern that perhaps I had killed the poor chap.

It then raced across the floor, covering around 15 feet in about 2 seconds tops and then scaled the wall. He was fine and I went on later to breed him with the female I had. So, surprisingly, he survived a major fall, despite the fact that he landed squarely on his ventral side on very short carpeting. In a way it doesn't totally surprise me since this species IME is semi-arboreal. I was determined after that bad experience to never react in such a way again, and am twice as careful as before when handling. (This was just a few years back). Both gbbs were a bit jumpy but I went on to handle both regularly with no further problems! The male lived with the female for nearly a year and eventually died of old age. The female ended up dying from depression when I took away her eggsac. I miss both as they were total sweethearts! I was just a newbie (and compared to most still am) who learned an important lesson about the appropriate mindset when handling.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited: