Opheodrys aestivus

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Opheodrys aestivus commanly know as the green snake they used to be common around here,but i am afraid there numbers are dieing out.my question is would it be controversial to try and breed them in captivity and release their babys them back into the wild.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Opheodrys aestivus commanly know as the green snake they used to be common around here,but i am afraid there numbers are dieing out.my question is would it be controversial to try and breed them in captivity and release their babys them back into the wild.
if there native and dying out, then its not controversial.
im not familiar with the laws where you live, but if they dont restrict the release of animals to the wild, then i would say do it if you can get an idea of whats killing them. the best way to do that if there native is to build a cage outside and try to have as little interaction with them as possible.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am assuming, being arboreal to shrubbery and tall grasses, vines, etc..that developement would be the first cause of decline, if any.
therefor i would imagine that trying to repopulate an area that is already disappearing would be spinning your wheels.
also..if you werent careful you could possibly over populate an area, and cause even worse issues for those things that it naturally keeps in check, etc.
[in other words, if you put too many of them into a certain area, then all the lizards, or whatever their staple diet is, would be over hunted by them, and then that trickles down as it goes]
i wouldnt do that untill i fully understood just how many would optimally be found in any given area at any one time...and even then might consult with a local university to see if
this concept is worth attempting or a good idea...kind of a second opinion]

just my two cents..I have collected and raised countless numbers of these..but
could only attribute the seemingly decreased numbers here, to a direct loss of natural undisturbed habitat.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes i too belive its there habbitat ,these snake a stricktly insectavors. b4 they started decreasing i had two in a tank that i bred its very easy to do.and as far a over populating i was thinking about releasing a certian amount in each county

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
More likely than not illegal, and it will NOT help. If anything, it will harm the wild snakes having to cope with a population that may be artificially raised above carrying capacity.