open orb web display... ideas?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and how can you tell if a female is mature?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting lookin male ...and beautiful girl. Let the male hang out with her and when they are ready they will do the deed.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
buthus - why wouldn't she eat him?

also I got another male, this time he wasn't on a female's web so I don't know if he's mature; he's -slightly- smaller than the other guy. is there any easy way to tell?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
buthus - why wouldn't she eat him?

also I got another male, this time he wasn't on a female's web so I don't know if he's mature; he's -slightly- smaller than the other guy. is there any easy way to tell?
I see several species of big orbs around my neck of the woods ..and USUALLY males are hanging out in the females web. Those boyz know what they're doing. Just keep her fed and shell probably enjoy the company.
Besides thats the interesting part of all this... try things, observe and find out.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, I'd be more excited about experimentation if I had lots of spare subjects.
I'll try it... but I'm blaming you if someone gets eaten. ;P

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, I'd be more excited about experimentation if I had lots of spare subjects.
I'll try it... but I'm blaming you if someone gets eaten. ;P
Oh, oh! :clap:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Look at those pedipalps....I'm pretty sure he's mature.

But how do you know he's the same species?

I still think a light colored background might work better. That way, you could see the shadow cast by the web.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A light-colored background wouldn't work better for the web. To see the shadow the web would have to be -right- in front of the background. Although I think the spider itself looks better against white.

because she molted yesterday she left the box and orb wove in a different area... i'm going to move her into a larger space on the bookshelf.

once she's fat again i'll put the male with her... can there be two?

(i know he's the same species because i found him on the web of another female.)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so... anyone know if two males can live with one female?

and the current setup:

now that's sexual dimorphism!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Two males may live around her for awhile, though one might loose out and wander off looking for another girl. ;)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Two males may live around her for awhile, though one might loose out and wander off looking for another girl. ;)
do you mean that would happen after the other guy gets to mate, or just at any time?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do you mean that would happen after the other guy gets to mate, or just at any time?
Hard to say what goes on in the mind of a spider. ;) :D
I sometimes find more than one male hangin' round a female and have seen the same two males days later in the same place. Really no big deal having a rogue male wandering round the house, but it would be interesting to see what happens with the boyz if both were introduced to the single female. :? :)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hard to say what goes on in the mind of a spider. ;) :D
I sometimes find more than one male hangin' round a female and have seen the same two males days later in the same place. Really no big deal having a rogue male wandering round the house, but it would be interesting to see what happens with the boyz if both were introduced to the single female. :? :)
I'll try it. But as soon as he moves, I'm locking him up; there are lots of places to get lost nearby, and an unlidded trapdoor and pulk both sleep within a few feet. :)

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awww cute set up! Are any of those books on the shelf about insects and or spiders? If so I wanna know the titles so I can put them on my wish list if I don't already have them.

Black Widow88

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
99% sure the female is -not- mature. is it safe to put a male with her?

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Idk. I think so but then again I think I could be wrong because I think that the male would try to mate with her. Can males detect when female is mature? If they can then I think you're ok, if not.....;P

Black Widow88