Onyx, my G.pulchra, is in deep trouble

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Well, it looks like Peso's sister may be going to meet the big spider in the sky. She went off food almost 2 weeks ago, but I wasn't worried because she stayed nice and plump. Two days ago I thought I noticed something on her back, left book lung when she was leaning half against the side of the petpal. Figured it was just dirt on her belly but have been watching to get a better look. This morning she was all the way up on the side of the petpal so I had an unobstructed view of the book lungs. Got out my 10x loupe and a flashlight. There is fluid leaking from the book lung which was why there was a bit of peat moss stuck to it a few days ago. Nothing on it this morning though so I had a very clear view. It appears slightly swollen in the area, the fluid is clear. I looked it up in my ATS medical manuel and according to what they have there she has a bacterial infection, internal, which usually kills the spider and which they admit it is a mystery where they get them from. Recommended treatment is irrigation with antibiotics. I don't want to "drown" her so I did this - small ICU deli cup with paper towels that are soaked with the antibiotic solution. I'll change them every 12 hours. Before I put her in I used a very soft artists brush that was just damp with the solution to gently stroke across the infected lung. Talk about a real sweet spider - I went into this treatment fully expecting that I would be bitten in the process because of the fact that she is only 1.5" and a normal restrained hold would probably injure her, soooo.... I just put her in my palm, let her start to walk off towards the thumb, then gently placed my thumb over her carapace and held her down. She kicked her legs around a bit, but never tried to bite. I can't tell you all how upset I am going to be if she dies. She quickly became my favorite spider.

Gail :(

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hi gail

good luck to you and your pulchura! i will pray for him/her, good luck again!

James

P.S- kepp us updated

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like you're doing what you can Gail. Sorry to hear about it. Keep us/me posted.

Botar

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good luck, I've lost two little slings to what was almost certainly some sort of bacterial and/or nematode infection - be nice to see someone win the fight even if it's not mine.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Good luck, I've lost two little slings to what was almost certainly some sort of bacterial and/or nematode infection - be nice to see someone win the fight even if it's not mine.
Code, I need to ask, what did you do to prevent possible spread of the infection? She was in with all my other 1" to 2.5" slings. I keep their petpals stacked inside a 55 gallon tank with a container of water for humidity and most of the lid covered in plastic. Keeps them warmer and humid enough for the winter heating season but I'm concerned about possible spread of that infection. I did wipe the outside of all petpals that were near her with a 70% alchohol solution as well as the tank floor where her petpal sat. But, in truth, if this is an airborne sort of infection all is probably lost already since she's probably had this condition for a few weeks.
I figure with your background in biology you might be able to give me a better idea about what to worry (and not worry) about. Besides, when it comes to fussing and worrying over our spiders you seem to have a much more realistic take on it than a worry wart like myself :)

Gail

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Honestly, I didn't do anything beyond moving the infected slings to a different room (where it's warmer). I don't believe these situations are infectious in the way a flu is, but rather opportunistic infections. The bacteria and nematodes are always present, something gives them an in, and like any successful life form they take it.

If I were a more paranoid man, which I'm not, what I would do is get a jar and fill it with a disinfectant such as alcohol or formalin and get another jar and fill it with water. Then I would dip and rinse my tongs between every tank/vial. Beyond that, not really much you can do beyond the obvious - remove as many food wastes as possible, don't keep things too wet, blah, blah, blah, you've heard it all before.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Beyond that, not really much you can do beyond the obvious - remove as many food wastes as possible, don't keep things too wet, blah, blah, blah, you've heard it all before.
Yes, I have, but for some reason hearing it from you always makes me feel better - you're like the antibiotic for my panic attacks when it comes to stuff like this. Without your very to the point "blah, blah blah's" I would be like one of those mother's who's constantly washing her kids with antibacterial soaps, having panic attacks when they put anything in their mouths and then wondering why my kids all had compromised immune function. Thanks for bringing me to reality on this and calming my worries :D

Gail

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Best of luck to you and ?Pesa? Gail. Hope like CM says you get to beat the odds.

Bill

Edit - Ok the Name's Onyx - score one for paying attention ;)

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
here's hoping the best for your pulchra

Gail,
Being that not too long ago, I lost a sling, I know what you're feeling. I really and sincerely hope your baby makes it.

Peace,
Gillian

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oh Gail, that really stinks. I hope she pulls through for you. Sounds like you are doing everything possible there is to do. Let us know how it goes.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
check Kelly's site...

Gail
If you look on Kelly Swift's site he has the story of an infected Xenesthis that he brought back around and how he did it. The reason I mention this is that I believe he even listed what medication he used. I would certainly give it a try as if memory isn't failing me here this is the same Xenesthis that not only survived but later made a sack for him so it must be doing pretty well.

As far as the other spiders being at risk I'm pretty much with the monkey on this one as the parasites and bacteria that cause problems are most likely always present anyway and the ones they seem to affect just happen to get weakened allowing the problem to occur. Basically I wouldn't worry about the others unless they show similar signs.
Phil

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Gail,

We wish you and your sling the best of luck.

Scott & Debby

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
O/T - what kind of antibiotic soultion are you using and where did you get it?

hope your sling makes it through this....

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: check Kelly's site...

Originally posted by Phillip
Gail
If you look on Kelly Swift's site he has the story of an infected Xenesthis that he brought back around and how he did it. The reason I mention this is that I believe he even listed what medication he used. I would certainly give it a try as if memory isn't failing me here this is the same Xenesthis that not only survived but later made a sack for him so it must be doing pretty well.

Phil

He mixed "a small amount" of tetracycline in water and put a drop of it on the spider's mouth, repeating the treatment six times. He didn't say what the strength of the antibiotic was or the ratio to water, or how often he administered the treatments.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck Gail. I really hope she pulls through. Keep us posted, ok?

Atrax

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by kosh
O/T - what kind of antibiotic soultion are you using and where did you get it?

hope your sling makes it through this....
I'm using the same stuff that I used on the injured PZB that pulled through - oxytetracycline, powdered form that you mix with water and can buy at feed stores where it is sold for livestock under the name of "Teramyicin".
I also moved her ICU to the top of my PC monitor to give her more heat.
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement folks.

Gail

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Good luck to you and Onyx, Gail. I feel for you in your ordeal and pray for a positive outcome.

Joy

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi.

I really hope your Pulchra makes it through this ordeal and you seem to be able to pull it off like you did before, so don't worry to much.

Kenny