One size fits all?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
If there is a price break, lower cost, and you want to factor in the lighter weight of thickness. Then by all means, go thinner, at 8X8X14, using polycarbonate, I would.
I've yet to use polycarbonate, mainly cost factor, on a build. So I'm not familiar with standard thickness it comes in. Willing to wager even .125" would make a strong, if not stronger, enclosure than using .160" acrylic. Could be wrong on that account. Lol!
This AM I called for price quotes, wholesale, for sheets (4'X8') of both acrylic and polycarbonate in thicknesses I use. Was your posted costs for full sheets of material or cost per enclosure? Reason I'm asking, the acrylic is ballpark, just a $2 gap, but polycarbonate is $88 per sheet @ .1875", they don't carry/use .250" stock.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

elysium

Arachnosquire
If there is a price break, lower cost, and you want to factor in the lighter weight of thickness. Then by all means, go thinner, at 8X8X14, using polycarbonate, I would.
I've yet to use polycarbonate, mainly cost factor, on a build. So I'm not familiar with standard thickness it comes in. Willing to wager even .125" would make a strong, if not stronger, enclosure than using .160" acrylic. Could be wrong on that account. Lol!
This AM I called for price quotes, wholesale, for sheets (4'X8') of both acrylic and polycarbonate in thicknesses I use. Was your posted costs for full sheets of material or cost per enclosure? Reason I'm asking, the acrylic is ballpark, just a $2 gap, but polycarbonate is $88 per sheet @ .1875", they don't carry/use .250" stock.
[/QUOTE]

Well...I initially wanted to build them myself as I'm no slouch with handy work, went to home depot and the Canadian version of that called Rona. A 20x36 sheet of .22 acrylic was 120 bucks. I stopped right there and started exploring other options until Vanessa pointed me to this shop. I am weary of the low quote but I asked the question twice to make sure that it is a finished product we are talking about... Drilled vents, hinges, locking mechanism. I emailed them today saying that I'd like to order one, they came back saying the quote was for 4. I explicitly asked for the price of one, and when they came back with the price I asked if there was a discount for 4 to which they said no. Sketchy to say the least...

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon

Well...I initially wanted to build them myself as I'm no slouch with handy work, went to home depot and the Canadian version of that called Rona. A 20x36 sheet of .22 acrylic was 120 bucks. I stopped right there and started exploring other options until Vanessa pointed me to this shop. I am weary of the low quote but I asked the question twice to make sure that it is a finished product we are talking about... Drilled vents, hinges, locking mechanism. I emailed them today saying that I'd like to order one, they came back saying the quote was for 4. I explicitly asked for the price of one, and when they came back with the price I asked if there was a discount for 4 to which they said no. Sketchy to say the least...[/QUOTE]

Wow! I can understand your skepticism on their price quote.
$120 for .220"X20"X36" acrylic? Thats too expensive, even at retail price. The nearby Menards, cheaper than Lowes, carries a lot of acrylic, many sizes and thicknesses commonly used. If memory serves me correctly, last full sheet I purchased there was $70-$75 and .160" thick. I built 4 enclosures and had a piece leftover about 12"X24".
I would encourage anyone to try and build one, "it ain't rocket science". The first couple I made had minor mistakes (the Ts don't care), but got much better the more I built. Made better jigs, more precise cuts, more efficient way to apply the epoxy, better finished edges and of course the satisfaction of "I made that!". A novice DIYer can make an impressive looking enclosure, just don't rush the build.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Made better jigs
This is the part I'm not sure about for myself. Never had to make one. Making sure the when the acrylic is joined that its square w/whatever I'm using to hold them together.

elysium

Arachnosquire
Well...I initially wanted to build them myself as I'm no slouch with handy work, went to home depot and the Canadian version of that called Rona. A 20x36 sheet of .22 acrylic was 120 bucks. I stopped right there and started exploring other options until Vanessa pointed me to this shop. I am weary of the low quote but I asked the question twice to make sure that it is a finished product we are talking about... Drilled vents, hinges, locking mechanism. I emailed them today saying that I'd like to order one, they came back saying the quote was for 4. I explicitly asked for the price of one, and when they came back with the price I asked if there was a discount for 4 to which they said no. Sketchy to say the least...]

Wow! I can understand your skepticism on their price quote.
$120 for .220"X20"X36" acrylic? Thats too expensive, even at retail price. The nearby Menards, cheaper than Lowes, carries a lot of acrylic, many sizes and thicknesses commonly used. If memory serves me correctly, last full sheet I purchased there was $70-$75 and .160" thick. I built 4 enclosures and had a piece leftover about 12"X24".
I would encourage anyone to try and build one, "it ain't rocket science". The first couple I made had minor mistakes (the Ts don't care), but got much better the more I built. Made better jigs, more precise cuts, more efficient way to apply the epoxy, better finished edges and of course the satisfaction of "I made that!". A novice DIYer can make an impressive looking enclosure, just don't rush the build.
[/QUOTE]

That was exactly the idea, would've been a fun DiY I could spend my weekends with. Albeit,

https://www.lowes.ca/skylight-acces...-in-x-48-in-clear-acrylic-sheet_g1201624.html

This wouldn't even be enough for 2 8x8x14 enclosures.

elysium

Arachnosquire
This is the part I'm not sure about for myself. Never had to make one. Making sure the when the acrylic is joined that its square w/whatever I'm using to hold them together.
Corner clamps really help to get those corners right. I haven't used them with acrylic but I've used them for other stuff and they work well.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
That was exactly the idea, would've been a fun DiY I could spend my weekends with. Albeit,

https://www.lowes.ca/skylight-acces...-in-x-48-in-clear-acrylic-sheet_g1201624.html

This wouldn't even be enough for 2 8x8x14 enclosures.[/QUOTE]

I now see you're Canadian, having friends in Halifax, know there are price differences on consumer goods. Really shocked at the acrylic prices though, U.S. is about half that.
IMO, .220" is overkill on a 8"X8"X14", .160" is my preference. Structurally just as strong and with less weight.
I believe most don't attempt builds as they think one needs a plethora of power equipment. Just not the case, personally built using only a drywall square, razor knife, tape measure, cheap plastic spring clamps, 1/4" VSR drill and a scrap piece of 3"X3" angle. A little forethought and time resulted in 3 nice homes. Although using power equipment is much quicker, can without planning, give disastrous results. In some cases, quicker isn't always better. Lol!
What I would like, cost prohibited, is a computerized Lazer cutter. Seeing one cutting very intricate pieces for a prototype product was impressive. Produced glass like edges, perfect alignment and was quick to assemble.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
If you review my old thread in this section, "More handmade arboreal enclosures", I posted a photo of one of my wooden jigs. Just 2 pieces of scrap OSB glued and nailed at 90°. Works much better than the 3"X3" angle I used previously. These have a greater clamping surface area, especially in the center.

elysium

Arachnosquire

This wouldn't even be enough for 2 8x8x14 enclosures.
I now see you're Canadian, having friends in Halifax, know there are price differences on consumer goods. Really shocked at the acrylic prices though, U.S. is about half that.
IMO, .220" is overkill on a 8"X8"X14", .160" is my preference. Structurally just as strong and with less weight.
I believe most don't attempt builds as they think one needs a plethora of power equipment. Just not the case, personally built using only a drywall square, razor knife, tape measure, cheap plastic spring clamps, 1/4" VSR drill and a scrap piece of 3"X3" angle. A little forethought and time resulted in 3 nice homes. Although using power equipment is much quicker, can without planning, give disastrous results. In some cases, quicker isn't always better. Lol!
What I would like, cost prohibited, is a computerized Lazer cutter. Seeing one cutting very intricate pieces for a prototype product was impressive. Produced glass like edges, perfect alignment and was quick to assemble.[/QUOTE]

I called them today and they apologized for the confusion and said they were quoting 4 all along, but would honor the same price for 1. Not sure how that happened but I had a lengthy chat with them and they agreed that everything as in the picture will be included in the finished product, vent holes, hinges, lock. They said that the next thickness down from 0.25 lexan was 3/16 but there was no discount as most of the cost was labor. I decided to go with the thinner one at 3/16 anyway, as i figured the 0.25 would be slightly overkill and perhaps a bit too bulky/heavier. I had to pay up front and give my cc info over the phone which i wasn't too happy about, but they said 4-5 days completion so let's see what they come up with!

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
What I would like, cost prohibited, is a computerized Lazer cutter. Seeing one cutting very intricate pieces for a prototype product was impressive. Produced glass like edges, perfect alignment and was quick to assemble.
I called them today and they apologized for the confusion and said they were quoting 4 all along, but would honor the same price for 1. Not sure how that happened but I had a lengthy chat with them and they agreed that everything as in the picture will be included in the finished product, vent holes, hinges, lock. They said that the next thickness down from 0.25 lexan was 3/16 but there was no discount as most of the cost was labor. I decided to go with the thinner one at 3/16 anyway, as i figured the 0.25 would be slightly overkill and perhaps a bit too bulky/heavier. I had to pay up front and give my cc info over the phone which i wasn't too happy about, but they said 4-5 days completion so let's see what they come up with![/QUOTE]

My fingers are crossed for you. Hope they are to your satisfaction. Quick turn around time, most companies are weeks. Post photos when you get 'em.

elysium

Arachnosquire
My fingers are crossed for you. Hope they are to your satisfaction. Quick turn around time, most companies are weeks. Post photos when you get 'em.
Thanks! Will definitely post pix and report on the transaction.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you review my old thread in this section, "More handmade arboreal enclosures", I posted a photo of one of my wooden jigs. Just 2 pieces of scrap OSB glued and nailed at 90°. Works much better than the 3"X3" angle I used previously. These have a greater clamping surface area, especially in the center.
Post 6 w/the red & black clamps, right?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Post 6 w/the red & black clamps, right?
Yes, thats the one.
I know it looks flimsy, but the OSB is 1/2" thick and rock solid. Used two 12" metal squares, 1 at each end, to ensure a 90° on them.
Note: the yellow paper in the photo is HD wax paper. A prevention in the event the epoxy squeezes out and possibly bonding the acrylic to the jig.

elysium

Arachnosquire
@viper69 @Red Eunice @VanessaS

The shop called today and let me know my enclosure is ready for pick up. Quite conveniently today was the first day I could've picked it up after a long week of brutal recovery from sinus surgery :S

They had said that polycarbonate doesn't bond and glue as well as acrylic due to its flexibility and that it might come apart when dropped. I opted to continue with polycarbonate regardless, as I figured if I were to drop the acrylic it would probably break anyway, at least with lexan I can try putting it back together? In any case they said its mostly a disclaimer they have to say to customers, and the bond is actually pretty strong.

It was supposed to have been finished last Wednesday, but they told me their machine went down and needed fixing and would take an extra week and that they'd be willing to cancel my order for a refund. I got the feeling they didn't want my money lol but knowing I'd be going into sinus surgery and would be down for a week I said no I'll wait, I'll see you in a week. Skip to today, i went and picked it up and was pleasantly surprised!

The thing is solid, to specs, and looks good. Pix below. I think I'll give it a few days before giving it a wash for fear of any chemicals that might harm my Ts, and then put my beautiful female versicolor in there, also pictured below. I'd say this is a great success and barring any issues with it, I intend to order a bunch more in a few weeks and see if i can get a better deal on price!

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very nice. How much was it again, and what measurements did you ultimately decide upon?

elysium

Arachnosquire
That's CHEAP compared to the USA.:wideyed:
It's about time the tables are turned for something! :p

I feel like that's cheap for Canada as well, and they TOLD me they could do better pricing on greater numbers...

I would consider this to be superior to Jamie's enclosures considering it is polycarbonate vs acrylic, and 3/16 all around vs just the sides. The polycarbonate is slightly darker than acrylic, though IMO worth it for the strength.

If this was a more popular hobby around here, maybe there'd be a business opportunity in this...

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
$60 CAD for a polycarbonate enclosure is, well...AWESOME!!! (Cheap)
Great looking enclosure. Your versicolor should be content once rehoused.