One mean looking spider!

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I came across this pic. it is listed as a "Dysdera Crocata spider". Does anyone know the size these beasts grow to. It is one of the more interesting spiders iv seen in awhile.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The biggest one I ever caught (in my basement) was prob 1 1/2". Everytime we see one, we'll catch it and keep it for a little while. They're pretty cool to watch when they attack prey. Their fangs are something else too huh?

Atrax

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, the only question is, can I beat Alex to it ;)

D. crocata gets to be about half an inch in body length. They are thought to feed on isopods (i.e pillbugs, sowbugs, woodlice, etc.) and that the elongated jaws are an adaption for this. I did read somthing about this possibly being a mistake, however.

Wade

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The page that i found this pic also had a short artical with it. I guess these spiders made news when there was a large number of bites in Merseyside (im guessing the UK). The first line of the page reads "The six-eyed spider normally eats woodlouse but now has a taste for human flesh." LOL seems kinda extreme.

david

Arachnopeon
dysdera crocata

european species now found in most places world wide,is nocturnal inhabit and found in compost heaps.

size about 1 cm

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wonder if they vary in sized based on geographic location? Like I said, the ones I find in my basement are at the largest 1 1/2". On average though, I'd say 1". The only other thing I'm wondering is what are they feeding on? There are no sowbugs down there, definitely no woodlice. I wonder if they would prey on other spiders?

Atrax

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Family: Dysderidae

The diet of Dysdera crocata mainly consists of woodlice and similar small crustaceans but will eat various other insects and small worms. The family Dysderidae contains roughly 250 species ranging in body size from around 1/4" to 1". Most species are nocturnal and hunt on the ground while others may make tube-shaped silk retreats in crevices in bark or stones.

Alex S.

P.S. You have beat me this time Wade :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Family: Dysderidae

Originally posted by Alex S.

P.S. You have beat me this time Wade :)
But you still had more information than me!

Atrax-

I got the 1/2 inch length from Levi and Levi (Spiders and their Kin). I think the measurment they use is body length, while most of us here usually use leg span, so the leg span of these guys is probably more like what you're seeing. I also feel like I've seen these guys bigger than 1/2 an inch.

Wade

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. In body length, 1/2" is probably the average. I believe I've seen them slightly larger than that in body length, but not much. I wonder if they include the chelicers in that measurement? Probably not huh? :)

Atrax

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Large tropical Dysderids can get up to 1" in body length, now that is one impressive spider :)

Alex S.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
woodlouse spider

These were all over northeastern MO and I think they are pretty much all over the world, aren't they? They all looked to me to be around an inch or two with the males being smaller than the females.
I kept a gravid female once. She had a tendency to burrow.
Next thing you know she laid an eggsac which produced around 50 or more of the buggers. She pretty much ate anything I put in her container.
I released them outside the next spring. I was never bitten, thank god!
I don't like the looks of them jaws! :D

Paul