On the new bite report in the bite report section.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
219
Am I the only one who found it hilarious that the guy bothered to take the time to announce that he needed to go to the hospital?
 

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Messages
536
i dunno if i would have gone to the hospital but its completely reasonable. its not like he got bit on the finger by a rosie, he got bit on the side of his face by an OW t which have strong venom. if u want, ill ship u my p terror and u can have it bite u in yur face and see how you feel. personally i dont see this as funny at all.
 

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
219
Originally posted by Paladin
i dunno if i would have gone to the hospital but its completely reasonable. its not like he got bit on the finger by a rosie, he got bit on the side of his face by an OW t which have strong venom. if u want, ill ship u my p terror and u can have it bite u in yur face and see how you feel. personally i dont see this as funny at all.
Again, I asked if anyone found it funny that he took the time to announce that he needed to go to the hospital.

I never said that it was funny that he got bitten.

Although, to be fair, I can certainly see the humour in being bitten by one's pet spider after letting it crawl on one's face.

But, once again, I don't think that's what I was suggesting. And I went back and reread my original post at least ten times, just to be sure that wasn't what I was suggesting.
 

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Messages
274
Personally if he thinks its funny let him think it. I think stuff like thats funny, to each his own. Who cares as long as its not you. This sort of thing shouldnt be blown out of proportion over personality conflict. Pokie bites are a little more severe than say most anything in this hemisphere and should be taken seriously. OW t's in general from reading these posts on this board are a little rougher than most, and it could be relativly easy for your OW t to take a notion to run out while you are cleaning its tank providing you dont use a deli cup like some people do. This can lead to a bite. But all this is just my opinion, nothing personal. No one should ever cause or have hard feelings on the boards. We all share a common interest, interests outside the hobby should be left to the watering hole or not discussed at all. Again, my opinion.
dale
 

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
718
i find it hilarious how some guy let a p. murinus crawl on his face, first of all he had to know nothing about the T seriously who in there right mind is going to let one of these bad boys(i have a 4inch female) crawl on there face much less hold it, i have seen a few pics of people holding theres as long as you know what your doing i dont have a problem with people HOLDING them not crawling on your face


And it seems this guy didnt really know what he was dealing with or something because he said oh i did it with my red knee but this spider is so much diffrent dont buy this spider...there a cool spider and i encourage peopel to buy them cuz there very intresting as long as you dont do something compltly crazy(letting it crawl on your face) i still cant get over that...lol hilarious
 

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
219
Originally posted by SpiderFood
Personally if he thinks its funny let him think it. I think stuff like thats funny, to each his own. Who cares as long as its not you. This sort of thing shouldnt be blown out of proportion over personality conflict. Pokie bites are a little more severe than say most anything in this hemisphere and should be taken seriously. OW t's in general from reading these posts on this board are a little rougher than most, and it could be relativly easy for your OW t to take a notion to run out while you are cleaning its tank providing you dont use a deli cup like some people do. This can lead to a bite. But all this is just my opinion, nothing personal. No one should ever cause or have hard feelings on the boards. We all share a common interest, interests outside the hobby should be left to the watering hole or not discussed at all. Again, my opinion.
dale
Yeah, I think I'm done with this thread. Especially since my post is being interpreted in all sorts of ways that it wasn't intended to be interpreted.

I did NOT say it was funny that he got bitten. I only found humour in the idea of a person who thinks he needs immediate medical attention stopping to let people on an internet forum know that he needs to go to the hospital.

But, whatever. I really don't have anything else to say on this. Probably better if this gets locked or deleted, as it will surely turn into some kind of flame war.
 

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 17, 2002
Messages
345
I think you misread the post...the guy says at the beginning that he just got back from the hospital, not that he's on his way there.

Adrian
 

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
718
Originally posted by whoami?
Yeah, I think I'm done with this thread. Especially since my post is being interpreted in all sorts of ways that it wasn't intended to be interpreted.

I did NOT say it was funny that he got bitten. I only found humour in the idea of a person who thinks he needs immediate medical attention stopping to let people on an internet forum know that he needs to go to the hospital.

But, whatever. I really don't have anything else to say on this. Probably better if this gets locked or deleted, as it will surely turn into some kind of flame war.
I dont think its funny he got bite, i think its hilarious that the guy let this spieces crawl on his face, what did he think was going to happen
 

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 10, 2003
Messages
1,056
He didn't actually "let" it crawl on his face. He didn't know the nature of the T, and thought it would be okay to handle it. He's never owned anything but a B. smithi.
A lesson for anyone......research, research, research!
 

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 10, 2003
Messages
1,064
He did post on another board where he was asking what he should do because he got bit by a starburst babboon on the face and it was recommended that he go to the hospital because of the location of the bite and he was dizzy and reported throwing up. It was up in the air as to what spider he actually had till he got back from the hospital later. I thought usumbara but thought it could also be an H. maculata. He rescued the spider from someone who was going to kill it because it was too aggressive. No good deed goes unrewarded. I think he's keeping a pretty good attitude considering his poor judgement and lack of experience. He now has first hand experience as to why P. murinus has nicknames like orange bitey thing and Pterror .
 

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
i think he was meaning that instead of funny he found it odd that the guy stops in the middle of his illness and takes the time to post to a message board.

probably the victim was just trying to let people know he was taking steps so they wouldn't worry.

however, i also found it odd. if i needed to go to the hospital, i'd certainly go immediately and post LATER that i went and what happened, not before. :)

you guys need to calm down and not impale people for interpretations that you are probably misreading. if you think someone has said something weird, maybe the misunderstanding lies with you.
 

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
2,040
Whoami:

I knew what you were referring to. Personally, I don't find it strange - if I got bitten by something I didn't know anything about, I'd post on a large enthusiast board - what's the point travelling 20 or 30 miles to hospital to be told "oh you got bitten by a G rosea, you may as well go home becuase the effects are virtually nonexistent"

Whoami/Sean:

He didn't let it crawl on his face. It ran up his arm and bit him, much as my own P murinus would if I gave it the opportunity.


Guys, we have to remember we are the educated few.
My friends all take an interest in my tarantulas, but no way would they know which was docile and which was aggressive.

I came back into the hobby after almost 8 years "time out" last year, and was stunned at the new species available. When I first got interested in tarantulas the most aggressive thing you could find commonly in the hobby was a Pokie - "Baboon Spiders" were mentioned in passing as an aggressive spider but that was about it. Nothing stopping me one day coming back to the hobby, walking into a shop and saying "I'll take the orange one"
Shopkeeper says, "Ok but its a bit nasty"
I say "Ah its ok I've kept T's before"
Next thing you know I've got an usambara hanging by the jaws from my nutsack.......

Like I said, we are nearly all very well informed about our hobby, we should share that knowledge and advice rather than mock those who are ignorant or simply uneducated (in the tarantula sense)....
 

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
Joined
Jun 13, 2014
Messages
34
I have an OBT 1 1/2" sling. Attached is a picture of a tool one might consider when transferring, feeding, opening the lid....whatever!:eek:

OBT brush.jpg
 
Top