? on feeding molted T

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My g. pulchra molted on the morning of the 21st...five days ago. She is acting hungry. Well, what I interpret as hungry...rushing toward any movement around her cage...standing "tall"...as if to wait for something..I was moving some clothes off my kids dresser and she came rushing over to that side of the tank..etc.
Is it safe to feed her yet?
Her big butt is gone...:( She molted out with a smaller abdomen, but it appears even smaller now that she is dry and active.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
After the T has had a few days to harden up if I think it might eat, I offer it food. I figure if it doesn't eat it immediately, it will when it feels like it. The only time an otherwise healthy T is in danger from the prey is during moulting and you know that's not an issue.

At any rate, if it's been 5 days, there's no reason you can't offer prey again. It might not eat, but there will be no harm either.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when my g. rosea moulted it only took about 4 days for the him to harden up....i also noticed that he was walking around like he was looking for something and in that tall position waiting for food or something like that....so i just threw in 1 and a half dozen crickets and he went on a eating crusade...its pretty fun watching them catch the crickets too!

Risto

CarPet

Arachnopeon
Feeding query

Right, we've been finding the right moment to ask a couple of questions so piggy backing on this thread seems appropriate. We got a c.rose in January and was advised it was due a molt. It didn't eat the cricket we put in and was very docile. The shop suggested a locust. That got taken out of the tank after 24 hours and we started feeding the locust. Got quite attached but after a week the locust died. :(

Eventually the T did molt. We missed it. at 1800 it was on it's back in a silky hammock. At 2130 Carole went to bed and when I got in from work at 0030 it had shed it's overcoat. After a fortnight (advice from reptile shop) we fed it a cricket. It seemed to take ages for it to eat it but eventually it had a go. Then we thought of trying another locust. This time it went for it almost right away and by morning there was nothing left. A week later we fed it another locust and it devoured that. Now two questions.

1 is 18 crickets all at once a bit ott? The guy at the shop never mentioned throwing in a feast. Does the T eat and eat or does it know when it's had enough?

2 the temperature in England is getting warm. 20 C today and quite mild tonight. Should we need to keep the heater on (back glass not under the tank) or not during Summer? I read that it is not necessary to have the tank temperature any more than normal room temperature.

Thanks, Peter

Last edited:

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're unsure, stick in a pinkie/dead cricket, something that wont atack your spider

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Feeding query

1 is 18 crickets all at once a bit ott? The guy at the shop never mentioned throwing in a feast. Does the T eat and eat or does it know when it's had enough?

2 the temperature in England is getting warm. 20 C today and quite mild tonight. Should we need to keep the heater on (back glass not under the tank) or not during Summer? I read that it is not necessary to have the tank temperature any more than normal room temperature.

Thanks, Peter [/B][/QUOTE]

Peter,
18 crickets at one time might give your Rosea a heart attack.
I feed one at a time. When it has one in its fangs, I'll throw in another, then another untill it stops taking them.
My 3 1/2" A. geniculata took 4 crickets last night.

Room temp. should be fine for the T..

Welcome to the forum,;)

I'd also like to thank our UK brothers for the support and friendship they show the USA.. Thank you.

Ernie

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kim,
Fatten up that skinny spider. LOL
Where's the picture?

Ernie