OMG Emergency help!!!!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The cricket ate the antanaes (spelling?) off my centipede! Both of them are completely eaten off and my centipede is barely moving! What do i do?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
take the cricket out, keep the centipede in a humid environment, make sure it's not bleeding...um, other than that there's nothing else to do.

But how did the cricket eat the antennae off without the centipede defending itself? Was the centipede lethargic when you put the cricket in? If so that was a mistake (obvious at this point)...a healthy centipede would not allow that, unless possibly in premolt but I thought they generally molted underground?

edit: was this the yellow leg you posted about not eating a few hours ago? How was the pede acting when you initially tried feeding? Was it running away from the cricket? How big was the cricket compared to the pede???

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The pede seemed completely fine and healthy it was running around its container before i dropped the cricket in like its crazy self. The pede was about 3" long not including terminal legs. It did not appear to be close to a molt. The cricket it was fed was around 1/2" size. This is just completely bizarre. I think im going to have to euthanize the pede cause its starting to curl its legs up and its hardly moving at all. The only thing i have seen move is its terminal legs very slightly.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well it was very obvious that it wasnt going to recover and only kept getting worse, so out of compassion i euthanized the little guy in the freezer. I figured that would probably be the most painless way to go. I will never EVER feed live prey to small centipedes ever again after this. That was my favorite pede too :(

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its honestly the strangest thing ive ever encountered in the years ive kept inverts, i have NEVER seen anything like this happen, and i especially wouldnt expect it to happen to a centipede!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
hmmm...i'll agree, odd indeed. sorry to hear about it :(

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am thinking that if the centipede is only 3" then there is a very good chance that it can molt several times and regenerate its antennaes. when you feed it just cut the crix in half and put it right in front of the centipede.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Centipede antennae dont regenerate like normal legs, my 'tigerleg' has half an anntenna.. no regeneration through 2 following molts

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well it was very obvious that it wasnt going to recover and only kept getting worse, so out of compassion i euthanized the little guy in the freezer. I figured that would probably be the most painless way to go. I will never EVER feed live prey to small centipedes ever again after this. That was my favorite pede too :(
Sorry about the loss. I lost my favourite degu today.