Old world terrestrial

Chuck11976

Arachnopeon
I’m just starting to get into old worlds. So far I have a 2” OBT that I’ve raised from a1/2” sling, and a brand new 3/4” Hati Hati sling. Do you guys have any suggestions for an old world T that is a terrestrial “display” T? I’m actually not a huge fan of very heavy webbers. Any ideas would be appreciated.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Hmm, maybe Phormictopus cancerides for you?

It does not web much.
It eats well.
It grows well.
It is out most of the time.

0E80ACF8-A11B-4C04-A1E0-D2A93A2FBC5D.jpeg

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Almost the majority of old world tarantulas are reclusive, burrowers, or obligate burrowers. So trying to find a species of old world that is out for display is mostly non-existent. While some specimens may be an exception, the majority of old world tarantulas are just what I said they are.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m just starting to get into old worlds. So far I have a 2” OBT that I’ve raised from a1/2” sling, and a brand new 3/4” Hati Hati sling. Do you guys have any suggestions for an old world T that is a terrestrial “display” T? I’m actually not a huge fan of very heavy webbers. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Ceratogyrus

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Tends to be a bit of a heavy webber, however.... in my experience, constantly out on display and a great display T. H.pulchripes

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'd actually recommend a Chilobrachys species. Yes, they are fossorial, but my C. huahini webs like crazy, climbs in the foliage above his burrow, and is out and about every night like clockwork. Also is one of the most skilled and aggressive hunters I've ever seen. Stalks his prey methodically and grabs it lightning fast. Maybe not a 'display' spider I guess...but I'd recommend it.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I'd actually recommend a Chilobrachys species. Yes, they are fossorial, but my C. huahini webs like crazy, climbs in the foliage above his burrow, and is out and about every night like clockwork. Also is one of the most skilled and aggressive hunters I've ever seen. Stalks his prey methodically and grabs it lightning fast. Maybe not a 'display' spider I guess...but I'd recommend it.
I don't know about the op but you talked me right into a C.huahini, I need another fossorial in my life and I like what I read. I will keep my eyes open for one, thanks!!!

Braden

Arachnoknight
Unrelated, but how long did it take your 1/2'' OBT to grow to 2''? I know growth rates arent the same, but I am still curious about mine:)

ArachnoLair1330

Arachnopeon
WOW, the growth rates differ so much! That's crazy lol. How did you care for it? It could have just been the spider itself I suppose.
I had 10 obt, 5 of them are still on my shelf and the other 5 were already sold. I live in a tropical country, our average room temps as of now is 28 degree celcius. I think our temperature here are slighly high, that's why my tarantulas grow fast.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Are you asking for OW terrestrial as your title states or it doesn't matter? Phormictopus cancerides is NW.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In my experience, H. pulchripes is an OW species that is most likely to be display friendly. My two adult females no longer burrow or use a hide, they have densely webbed up the enclosure though. They just sit on top of their webbing waiting for prey to fall from the sky.