Old World Tarantula

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me when a Old World Tarantula is going to molt?? I've seen my New Worlds molt but never an Old World like my P. murinus.

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me when a Old World Tarantula is going to molt?? I've seen my New Worlds molt but never an Old World like my P. murinus.
they stop eating, have a very fat abdomen, and dark fade color and stay in their burrow.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks

they stop eating, have a very fat abdomen, and dark fade color and stay in their burrow.
My murinus is still a sling but god can he/she eat and shes webbed herself up very nicely but got a hole to go in and out of. He/she might be getting ready for a molt but i wouldnt know. My H. gigas i could tell because she always got a fat abdomen and ate alot. But ill just check on her occasionally thanks for the info!! :D

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had a C. crawshayi sling (~2") molt recently and there were no obvious signs. She had a fat butt for quite some time so i actually quit offering her as much food because she already looked like she was going to pop. She also lived underground in her KK 24/7. However, looking back i think i will have a clue in the future. While she is always burrowed, she is always visible to me at the bottom of her KK. When she disappeared back up her main tunnel, into her completely covered coconut hut - that's when she molted and where i found her exo.

i also had a large female P. murinus molt a short while back. She looked absolutely horrible from the time i got her (wild caught) so i was hoping she would molt soon. i have another one i acquired at the same time. Both have been off food for more than a few weeks and they were ravenous eaters when i first brought them home. The one who molted is back to eating everything i drop in her house. i found that before she molted she webbed herself in even thicker than normal and then i found her on her back a few days later. However, none of my 5 OBT's ever have real big abdomens - not even the girls. Surely they must be getting enough to eat as they eat EVERYTHING, aside from the one i am guessing is still premolt.

A while back there was a thread started by Ryan (talkenlate) that showed his gravid Pokie with a flashlight. He also posted pics of premolt T's VERY close to molting using the same technique. You might want to check it out.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=94144