Old mom, just ate, suddenly dead?

SavannahW

Arachnopeon
IMG_3234.jpeg
14 days ago my female scorpion had her second round of babies. After two days she ate a full meal, cricket in claw chowing down. I separated the offspring once they started to pop off. I had fed her again, but didn’t physically see her eat. No conditions have changed in her enclosure and every check, about once a night, I would pop up her hide to see how she’s doing. Extremely responsive and lively as ever.

Suddenly about four days ago I found her flush to the bottom. I had never seen her molt in the two years I’ve own her, so my first thought was molting. The babies already had their first molt, so I’d assume it would be pretty fast for her too.

I have lost scorpions before and it’s the same pose. However, their bodies always stiffened. Her body is still malleable although there’s no response from her. This morning my check on the body I noticed the top of her carapace was starting to wrinkle. Is it collapsing? Rotting? Is she stuck?

My first thought was she might need extra humidity and could be stuck in molt so I’ve been spraying down her enclosure when it shows signs of drying out. Maybe that could be contributing to her malleable body?

There’s no smell, though it’s hard to tell with a wax burner and a snake tank under my nose when I smell the enclosure. Is she gone? Has your scorpion taken several days to molt because of age? (Wax burner has always been present near her enclosure, no changes to her surroundings either.)

What strikes me the most confused is the sudden death. Usually there’s signs. I’m stumped.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Liocheles australasiae?
Scorpions don't molt anymore once they're adult. Since she had babies, we can rule out molting.
This species requires a high humidity, and the substrate in the picture looks fairly dry. Could be the issue.

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Liocheles australasiae?
Scorpions don't molt anymore once they're adult. Since she had babies, we can rule out molting.
This species requires a high humidity, and the substrate in the picture looks fairly dry. Could be the issue.
Agreed. Sounds like a definite death; same thing happened to my AFS back when I was a very inexperienced keeper.
Deaths like these can be hard to pinpoint, but they usually have to do with improper conditions which hasten demise.

Last edited:

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Liocheles australasiae?
100% agree on the sub looking way to dry, especially if she just had a brood. They utilize a lot of fluids and she probably dehydrated. Could also be any other problem. Age could be a factor where the body couldn’t recover from the brood. Sorry for your loss

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Tell me more about the wax burner...
Well I missed reading that…wax burners/oil burners etc are known to kill inverts. The fumes that make the scent can be brought in through their book lungs.

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Well I missed reading that…wax burners/oil burners etc are known to kill inverts. The fumes that make the scent can be brought in through their book lungs.
I missed that too; my bad... hundred percent; that could have been a contributing factor.