Old MM Making Sperm Webs

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So my one year matured male G. rosea is making what looks like a sperm web right now. Would he be fertile? How old was your oldest mature male when they made their last sperm web? Share stories. :)

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
My mature male B albopilosum is Pushing 2.5 since matured now I believe(might be a few months + or -), and still makes them every so often. He's got some spirit in him yet.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
My mature male B albopilosum is Pushing 2.5 since matured now I believe(might be a few months + or -), and still makes them every so often. He's got some spirit in him yet.
Hm, I wonder if he would be fertile. 2.5 years is a long time for a mm!

EDIT: Here;s my MM making and using a sperm web he just finished about 20 minutes ago: https://www.instagram.com/spider_nerd/
Most recent post

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Hm, I wonder if he would be fertile. 2.5 years is a long time for a mm!

EDIT: Here;s my MM making and using a sperm web he just finished about 20 minutes ago: https://www.instagram.com/spider_nerd/
Most recent post
Highly doubt he's in any condition to mate, though he might still be fertile. I think a female wouldn't give him a second thought before making him lunch. It's a shame he was my second T or I might have loaned him out

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Highly doubt he's in any condition to mate, though he might still be fertile. I think a female wouldn't give him a second thought before making him lunch. It's a shame he was my second T or I might have loaned him out
Interesting. You're probably right as he is pretty old. I introduced my male to my female yesterday, just curious if he could mate. I was surprised when he went right to business and got it done. It also could be the reason he made a sperm web today. Seems he still has it in him! Also, I should note that this guy eats a lot, more than my female G. rosea.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I'd be interested to know if that mating results in a fertile egg sack. I have an older male that I've been thinking about using. Do tarantulas even suffer from lower sperm production?

cold blood

Staff member
For as long as they can live post MM molt, I bet he's in a lot better shape than people are thinking...I'd bet he's still viable.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'd be interested to know if that mating results in a fertile egg sack. I have an older male that I've been thinking about using. Do tarantulas even suffer from lower sperm production?
Me too, but G. rosea's take forever... The first mating between my pair was last year, Nov-Dec.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
My first attempt at mating was last July. Went well, female dropped eggs about 27 days later. Weird thing was she never completed the sac so the eggs dried out :(. After that first mating attempt she started making burrows like crazy, always digging and making tunnels, something she had never done before. I still have that same male and would like to try again.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
My first attempt at mating was last July. Went well, female dropped eggs about 27 days later. Weird thing was she never completed the sac so the eggs dried out :(. After that first mating attempt she started making burrows like crazy, always digging and making tunnels, something she had never done before. I still have that same male and would like to try again.
That's too bad, hope you get it this time around! Go for it with the male.:)