Old labeled spider (ID needed)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'm posting this for a friend of mine. I can't, for the life of me, figure out what species this tarantula is.

She bought it at a pet shop labeled as A. seemani (actually by the latin!). Problem is, it doesn't look, or act, at all like one. It's very defensive and will rear up (but not display fangs). It also hasn't kicked any hairs. Right now, it's webbing up its hide like crazy.

Any idea what this little beast might be? I'm GUESSING that it might be old world, but I'm very unsure. This one actually has me stumped! :confused:

-Bryan

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I don't think it's old world, too fuzzy on the abdomen. Looks like it's got urticating setae there. The spinnerettes are that nice peachy skin color like on seemanni. Maybe it really is A. seemanni....one is bad need of a molt? Mine is rather feisty, doesn't hesitate to rear up at me.

TattooAngel

Arachnopeon
(I just registered here.) This is my baby. I just got her over the weekend. If it is just that she needs a molt, what should I do? She has spent a lot of time near her water, and I'm keeping humidity around 80%, temp around 78-80F, with a wide, shallow water dish she can fit in. She's very active and eating.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its hard to see in that pic, but does it have the characteristic striping on the legs?
Also, the underside should be a tan/orangish color if it is an A. seemani.
Hopefully, we will get some answers soon!

TattooAngel

Arachnopeon
I know this is a bad picture, sorry. I snapped it through her tank. The underside is a greyish-tan. I don't want to stress her anymore to take more pictures.

Attachments

TattooAngel

Arachnopeon
Looks like she's going to molt. Hopefully new pictures afterwards that can be identified more easily.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My GUESS= Aphonopelma sp. (nicaraugua grey) They were around a couple of years back.Very similar to a seemani.

Brian

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
hmmm. someone in need of a molt for sure!
Don't know, but thinking NW for some reason.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You know, it kinda looks like a faded out Emerald skeleton (Ephebopus uatuman). I've got one and she looked similar prior to her molt.
Definatley got attitude and a fuzzy abdomen.
Good luck!
Ralph

TattooAngel

Arachnopeon
She's almost finished molting! I'll try to post a new picture soon. Thanks for the help so far.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The carapace looks too elongated for a seemani. And she definitely doesn't have the salmon pink fuzz... a fresh molt pic MIGHT help. But your only definite answer will come if you carefully save the evuvia and send it to someone for identification. Good luck!

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow what luck! Talk about it needing a molt and a couple hours later it DOES! :cool: Wish a few of my slings are like that! Eagerly awaiting to see it now with her drastic makeover! ;)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it is anAphonopelma of some type, I am pretty sure it is not a T. pruriens, mine does not look like that even when in need of a molt.

Andy

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
A. seemani have very definite striping on the patella and tibia, and mine have a small line down half of the tarsus. I don't see that in the pic, but the light color of the spinnerets looks typical of seemani.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like it. does it still hav those black markings on the cephlethorax?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i highly doubt it's an a. seemani.. could be an aphonopelma species though.. it's a tough one cause i've never ever seen a t like that before... also it looks like a male, am i right? that's a strange looking t... it looks wild caught for some reason.. also i do think it's a new world.. i'm not the best at ID'ing t's though.. we need some proffesional to deal with this matter...

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I kinda doubt it is Aphonopelma. If you look at the pads on the front pair of legs, they are very different from the ones on my Aphonopelma seemani. I still think it might be Ephebopus. It would be nice to see additional pics.
Ralph

Last edited: