OK - you can all say I told you so

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
My new babies are here. 1 redslate ornamental, 2 indian ornamentals, 2 ornamental baboons and a freebie asian smokey. I am just now coming down off of the adrenalin rush of unpacking them but you are all right - they weren't anywhere near as bad as I feared they might be. I had no problems with them and I actually was handing the pokies crix with a 3" pair of fine tip tweezers - they ARE fast, but didn't seem too skittish or aggressive. The asian smokey and the baboons are another matter entirely - LOL - the asian was gonna kick my butt and it is faster than anything I have ever seen. The baboons are super fast and have a nasty temper, but even they took crix right from the tweezers - mind you they tried to take the tweezers too :D
Thanks everyone for all of your support and advice about these new guys.

Gail

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an Asian smokey, too, and it was really aggressive the day I got it. Still lightning fast and greedy when it comes to food but has calmed down significantly about cage maintenance. Wait until it webs, mine has made a web tunnel that circles the perimeter of its enclosure with little entrances to the center. You throw in food and it pops out of the most convenient doorway to run it down and drag it back inside.

I'm definitely going to buy a few more of them.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Umm....I told you so? lol. Okay I didn't, but I'm sure someone else did and I'm speaking on their behalf. :D

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
galeogirl - it's unbelievable but my smokey has already started to web. I have it in a round pet pal thats about 6" dia. x 8" tall with 3" of a peat/fine sand/vermiculite mixture. I poked a hole in the substrate and placed a 1" piece of curved blue plastic for a hide so that it just covered one end of the hole. He found the hole right off, checked out the hide (all this time carrying 2 crix in his jaws) and started webbing. About an hour ago I dumped in 10 or 12 pinheads because he had a lot of web going on and his other two were all eaten up. You are right about greedy!! He ran out and caught each one, has them in a big pile under the hide, and has laid down a tube off of the back end and a tent over the front. He is so COOL! I love em already.

Gail

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrads

Gail, congrads on your new T's. Sounds like your having fun. Also, I want to thank you for your post on frozen crix. It is working for all my guys especially my avic. He ate 3 crix in one day. My babies eat them also. I just cut a hunk while frozen let it thaw then throw it in cage. Sometime I'll have to try it with tweezers. Thanks again.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
You're quite welcome Al :) I'm still trying to get several of my avics to eat the dead ones. They are the spoiled brats of my group. I'm even trying to teach my horned frogs to eat from a pair of tweezers :D My goal - NO MORE live food items at all. Safer for the T's - easier for me.

Gail

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey what's the scientific name for the Asian Smokey? Just curious...they sound awesome.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as I know, it's generally sold as "Chilobrachys sp."

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rock on, thanks. Whoa....ooh, the Chilo Fimbriatus is freakin AWESOME! I sooo want one? Anyone have experience with them?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
excellent Gail!
I am T-sitting an H maculata, she is an adult female. She is very shy, but very fast.
I am going to get more pokies, and an Het mac sling soon.

Edit:
I just HAND fed the A versicolor adult, not even using tweezers..what was I thinking?! LOL
It was a mealworm, and I just held it out between my finger and thumb, luckily, she grabbed the correct end :)

Last edited:

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fimbritus are alot of fun deffinately in my top 15 favorites we got some and set them up in tall babyfood jars with about 2" of dirt in the bottom they webbed it up to the top of the jar and as soon as the crickets touch the web they come flying up and grab them too coolwe've had them about a year and just began being able to sex them about 4 months ago(slow growing for asian and not to big) now they're about 3" and living in deli dishes tough little buggers for asians too

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
VI6SIX,

Are you talking about C. fimbriatus? I've got one at about 1". If that is what you're talking about, I'd like to find out more. Let me know, then I'll PM you if that's cool w/ you.

Botar

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats..Gail..:eek:)

hi...

Congrats to your new guys Gail...:)

I spoiled my one Versicolor with handfeeding and that's all s/he wants now.

I still try to figure how to approach my new guys like the Irminia, wow s/he fast.
The other new T,,the M Earth tiger that I have is moving around from, terrestial to arboel to burrowing and it's a faaaast T too.

On top of this I have like 90 Usambara babies that I fed today and geez they are greedy..:) "help".

Kenny