Ok to keep different species together?

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well there's a guy I know locally that has some Discoids and Dubia and was wondering if I can keep them in same container as my Lobster roaches? Will they eat each other? Interbreed? etc

If not than I don't really mind getting another plastic tote.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
of the real common species i don't keep orange heads (Eublaberus prosticus) with anything else as they are vicious and eat the babies of other stuff

i have lobsters and hissers together with no problems (or, no marked problems, dunno if babies get munched every once in a while).

actually, the lobsters breed so much faster i keep moving the hissers to a new cage, but a few lobs keep making it and taking over again... it's not a problem but if you might find something being out competed against plague species like lobsters

discoids and dubia are from different genera, so their should really be much of a chance of interbreeding. roaches from the same genus, especially blaberus WILL interbreed, at least some species will

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Went and picked up 60-70 Discoids and Dubia lastnight. The only complaint I have about these roaches is that they produced some kinda of very nauseating smell when stressed(I got a slight headache from it:( )

Was wondering if only nymphs/youngs produce this smell or does the mature one do too?

And wondering which specie was the one that producing the smell(I can't tell as all the nymphs look pretty much same to me)

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i have lobsters and hissers together with no problems (or, no marked problems, dunno if babies get munched every once in a while).

actually, the lobsters breed so much faster i keep moving the hissers to a new cage, but a few lobs keep making it and taking over again... it's not a problem but if you might find something being out competed against plague species like lobsters
I have the same problem of the lobsters always getting in with the hissers. I just left them this time until I noticed how few hissers I had left. This time I only found 14. They get along fine, but the lobsters seem to just out compete them. Hopefully I can avoid that this time.

I think it's better you keep them separated, if you can.