Ok so what gives? ( H.crassipes not feeding)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Recently I aquired a 1.2.0 adult group of H.crassipes the male is close to if not penult and the females molted mid summer.. I have them in enclosures that are about a foot deep with roughly nine inches of sub..

I set them up with vertical premade burrows that they all took to the first night and I noticed tonight 1 female and the male have begun excavating new tunnels and openings.. The sub is moist and the enclosure has good ventilation( no condensation but I haven't had to add water to the sub since I set them up about 10 days ago) the room they are in is 80°F"

The females are around seven inches and the male is about 5-1/2 all three of them are pretty slender and have zero appetite.. I have offered crix small and large and super worms with crushed heads.. No takers.. In fact one was chased out of it's burrow by a cricket.. After seeing how timid they have been acting I'm almost positive throwing a discoid in there won't trigger a feeding responce..

Unfortunately these guys are wild caught but have been in captivity for over a year. I gave them a thorough look over and other then being thin they look and act healthy.. I was told they eat but as the person is primarily a reseller they don't feed as often as someone that is looking to breed the species..

Before I could ever consider breeding them I have to get them up to a healthy body weight and being as skinny as they are they should be ravenously eating..

If you have any tips tricks or know of any prey items this species has a prefernce for please let me know..

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I dont have any experience with this particular sp. the best advice i would give based on your provided information regarding care is varying the prey items offered as much as possible and continuing to try and entice them with different options. My temps are on average significantly lower than 80 and all my spiders are still eating i really hope you can get them to eat and eventually breed them!

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
It's interesting that all three aren't eating. You would have thought at least one would.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's interesting that all three aren't eating. You would have thought at least one would.
Yea it has to have something to do with being in a different set up.. I was talking with the seller today and she told me that these guys have always been secretive feeders for her... Damn imports ;)...

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Taking a couple of weeks or more to acclimate isn't unusual for WC's. Keep an eye on them for parasites also.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Taking a couple of weeks or more to acclimate isn't unusual for WC's. Keep an eye on them for parasites also.
I'm not too worried about parasites as they have been in captivity for a year..

The difference between W/C and C/B is astonishing as far as aclimation periods go with some species.. With others it doesn't seem to make a difference as long as the enclosure is suitable..