OK so I panicked when I saw my Chilean on her back. I wasn't fully awake yet and I flipped her over.

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
I am very optimistic now the T has completed its moult -- Yay!!!
Been watching this thread throughout the day, a virtual roller-coaster ride of worry and hope!

Kim, after this worrisome day -- you'll be reading, studying and developing into a T expert soon! lol
Best of luck and good wishes for your T! And welcome to the boards! :)
I was a wreck and for good reason. She is fine now and I'm so thankful. I do have a bond with her as strange as that is I know when she wants to interact with me and when she don't. She is awesome and I'm proud to have such a beautiful t in my weird family. I own a red bearded dragon as well among other animals.

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
I was a wreck and for good reason. She is fine now and I'm so thankful. I do have a bond with her as strange as that is I know when she wants to interact with me and when she don't. She is awesome and I'm proud to have such a beautiful t in my weird family. I own a red bearded dragon as well among other animals.
I want to thank everyone here for the support and love you guys showed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Glad she is going to be okay, @Kim cook

Post some pictures of the Enclosure so we can comment on anything that needs correcting in addition to the Substrate.
For one spider, I would go buy a bag of dry Eco Earth and use that for the Substrate.

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
Sometimes a tarantula (especially slings) molt without being on their backs. My B. albopilosum did this once, but it did not go too well as it lost a leg in the process. I think forcing it on its back now would only make the situation worse. Your tarantula will likely try again later (perhaps later this day or within the next few days). I think you learned your lesson, so no need to scold you any more for messing with a molting tarantula :D But please, for the sake of your spider and your own, read more about keeping spiders as @ledzeppelin said. Being a noob with little experience is not a crime, everybody had to start somewhere. But many mistakes can be avoided by taking the necessary time to gain knowledge from more experienced keepers.
Glad she is going to be okay, @Kim cook

Post some pictures of the Enclosure so we can comment on anything that needs correcting in addition to the Substrate.
For one spider, I would go buy a bag of dry Eco Earth and use that for the Substrate.
OK I will when she has recovered from her molt. When is it safe to feed her again. And do I wait 2 weeks to clean out her enclosure

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
OK I will when she has recovered from her molt. When is it safe to feed her again. And do I wait 2 weeks to clean out her enclosure
General rule of thumb is you wait until the fangs are black to feed after a molt. You will probably want to wait 2 weeks to feed and change out the enclosure. You want to make sure that her exoskeleton has fully hardened.

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
General rule of thumb is you wait until the fangs are black to feed after a molt. You will probably want to wait 2 weeks to feed and change out the enclosure. You want to make sure that her exoskeleton has fully hardened.

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
OK I will. She was cleaning herself last night and I saw her fangs and they looked black but with recent events I'm going to wait.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
They wont be opaque black yet for an adult/sub adult. They go from milky white when freshly molted to bright red then slowly to opaque black. If you shine a light on them you will see that they are very deep translucent dark red. For an adult wait at least 2 weeks to feed. She can be moved or rehoused safely at that time as well.

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
They wont be opaque black yet for an adult/sub adult. They go from milky white when freshly molted to bright red then slowly to opaque black. If you shine a light on them you will see that they are very deep translucent dark red. For an adult wait at least 2 weeks to feed. She can be moved or rehoused safely at that time as well.
OK thank you very much I will keep everyone updated. She seems happy she's getting around good and she lays out too. Her legs will be fully extended like she's relaxed. Then she gets up and moves around. Just doing her thing ☺

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
OK thank you very much I will keep everyone updated. She seems happy she's getting around good and she lays out too. Her legs will be fully extended like she's relaxed. Then she gets up and moves around. Just doing her thing ☺
They do "yoga stretches" post molt.

Attachments

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I just wanted to give you recognition for the fact that you are listening to the community, recognizing your mistake, heeding the advice from experienced members and taking action.

You clearly care about this T and I wish the best for the both of you!

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to give you recognition for the fact that you are listening to the community, recognizing your mistake, heeding the advice from experienced members and taking action.

You clearly care about this T and I wish the best for the both of you!
Thank you. Yes I do care for her. She's a part of my family and I hope she will be around for a long long time ☺

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
She seems to be doing well. I've been keeping an eye on her. Her joints aren't juicy looking anymore. Thank God now they're just shiny. I know that I'm doing something right lol I gave her fresh water earlier like I've been doing she wasn't mad at me or anything she didn't move away but I didn't try to touch her I know when she wants interaction because she will come up to the glass and put her legs on the glass as if she's looking at me then I will put my hand down there and she'll come to my hand and put her little feet on my finger tips. And I talk to her. She was doing that last night and it kind of hurt my feelings that I couldn't just reach in there and do our normal thing because I don't want to injure her. I can't wait for her to get better so that we can bond even more than before. I was so afraid that I ended my precious little Ts life I am so happy I didn't I have learned my lesson. I promise you guys that. I'll keep updating you on her progress so that maybe one day when somebody does the same stupid mistake I did, they can read back on all of our posts and learn just as I did.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Glad she made it out well.

Everything I am about to say is not to attack you or what you've been doing, it's to tell the facts how they are. :)
I know when she wants interaction because she will come up to the glass and put her legs on the glass as if she's looking at me then I will put my hand down there and she'll come to my hand and put her little feet on my finger tips.
Sorry to break the news, but tarantulas are not capable of wanting attention. And she can't see you with her eyes. If you put your hand on the sub and it touches your hand, it is probably checking out what the vibration is.

She was doing that last night and it kind of hurt my feelings that I couldn't just reach in there and do our normal thing because I don't want to injure her.
I would highly advise against doing it again, t's "moods" and behaviors can change in an instant and are notorious for changing after molts.

I can't wait for her to get better so that we can bond even more than before.
T's can't bond with anything (other than I guess, physically bonding with a mate). They have no emotions. They are purely instinctual creatures.

I was so afraid that I ended my precious little Ts life I am so happy I didn't I have learned my lesson. I promise you guys that. I'll keep updating you on her progress so that maybe one day when somebody does the same stupid mistake I did, they can read back on all of our posts and learn just as I did.
Be sure to change the sub in a few weeks.
Also something I want to point out - she wasn't in "pain" while she was molting, at least not how you and I feel pain.

Tarantulas have no emotions and actually dislike (they actually "dislike" it, because they can't really "dislike" anything, but you get what I'm trying to say) human interaction and contact. They do not get used to, nor want stimulus from a human hand.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
nice to see a success story once in a while. :) most people who come here for help have spiders that are beyond saving. :( glad she made it out alright.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They do "yoga stretches" post molt.
I love that pic. It is like she's saying, 'screw you guys, I'm tired'. :rofl:

@op, good to read she's doing well. I second @BobBarley s post though. You want to be really careful putting your hands in there, her disposition can be 180 from what she used to be. Handling can stress a Theraphosidae out, which leads to bites, falls, injury and death of the spider. You may want to rethink your strategy on that. Admire her through the glass, enjoy watching her through the glass. Laugh at the dorky things she will do, but please don't handle her.

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
I love that pic. It is like she's saying, 'screw you guys, I'm tired'. :rofl:

@op, good to read she's doing well. I second @BobBarley s post though. You want to be really careful putting your hands in there, her disposition can be 180 from what she used to be. Handling can stress a Theraphosidae out, which leads to bites, falls, injury and death of the spider. You may want to rethink your strategy on that. Admire her through the glass, enjoy watching her through the glass. Laugh at the dorky things she will do, but please don't handle her.

Attachments