OK so I panicked when I saw my Chilean on her back. I wasn't fully awake yet and I flipped her over.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Sorry I thought that the T was already curled on its back if you know what I mean? I figured it would be hard to molt on its legs if the molt already began.. no?
I don't think so. I've always heard that the worst thing you could do.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I don't think so. I've always heard that the worst thing you could do.
Yeah I know that touching the T during a molt is a big NO, but I've never come across an example where the T was flipped during its molt.. But wouldn't it be harder for the T to pull out if the legs were already curled a bit and you left it on those bent legs? I don't know man just speculating o_O

sasker

Arachnoprince
Although it does seem still logical to me that it would be better to put back.. IDK..
TBH, I don't know for sure either what would be the best thing to do. This is a very unusual situation. It could indeed be more difficult for him to pull his legs out while not being on his back. I think that is why my tarantula lost one of her legs. But the stress of being picked up by some big giant and being put on your back while being at your most vulnerable moment would not contribute to an easy molt either ;)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
As soon as moult process begins it is best not to interfere. Especially with larger specimens. Stress can cause some problems. Ts are capable of moulting on their back, front and sides if needs be. However if it feels threatened it can cause the process to stop. Therefore it will harden and that means bad news

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
As soon as moult process begins it is best not to interfere. Especially with larger specimens. Stress can cause some problems. Ts are capable of moulting on their back, front and sides if needs be. However if it feels threatened it can cause the process to stop. Therefore it will harden and that means bad news
I'm well aware of that, yes. I was just curious whether or not the T that begins the molt on its back can take a different strategy and molt up side down with no trouble if it's flipped mid-molt. Sort of like if you were buried underground and flipped and then were told to dig yourself out.. Would you know which way to dig? this sort of thing :D I know it's ridiculous I'm just bored and like to make up poop :D

Walker253

Arachnobaron
You aren't the first person to do this and won't be the last. Learn from it and don't beat yourself up. Hopefully it all works out. T's are pretty tough animals and we panic at times, but they know what they're doing. It's in our nature to try and save things, even when they don't need saving. Lessons learned

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Kim cook Hopefully everything will be okay with your Tarantula. Wishing you all the best.

When the time is right, you are going to need to make some changes to the Enclosure, most notably the type of substrate you are using. It should be on Eco Earth or plain Top Soil, not straw.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Neither did I ! Better than wood chips or cat litter :rofl:

.. but yeah. That needs changed out afterwards for sure.

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
So this is her now my husband is keeping tabs on her. He says that she looks like she's in a lot of pain and her webby things that's what he called them are still moving. So is she going to be okay?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
that new pic doesn't look good she has already popped the carapace, chances are the new soft exo will harden up inside the old (to small) exo and she will not make it. I sure hope she finishes her molt.

boina

Lady of the mites
Its aspen bedding.
As everyone else already said: If your tarantula manages to molt this way you need to change that afterwards. That's among the worst substrate choices possible. If a tarantula is given a choice they often won't even walk on it.

But first things first: Good luck for your T during her molt. Please keep us updated :)

Kim cook

Arachnopeon
Now that I have the time I can rant a bit. You don't touch a tarantula on its back ever. You go away and let it be. A disturbed tarantula can die in the process of molting. If you're lucky you flipped your T before anything happened. If you're not it could die because it won't be able to get out of the molt. Now be quick and post a photo. I would say put it back if it doesn't move at all.

Attachments