ok, so i immediately retract my statement

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the guy at the shop claimed it was a P.Imperator which i automatically thought it was since i'm new to the scorpion hobby. Upon further research when I arrived home, it seemed to fit more along the category of an H.Spinifer. what do you guys think?

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
its a Pandinus imperator as the shop said :)

You can tell by looking at the claws, they have the typical shape and granulation of an emp.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I second that statement "it's a P imp" here is a link that shows the claws of a H spinifer as mentioned by scorp dude... H. spinifer pic from the scorpion files Web Site

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
perhaps the pincers will get larger as it grows. i guess that whenever she's walking around, they seem smaller than most emps i've seen.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
def. not a H. spinifer. The claws do look red in the 1st pics but nothing else...so its probably just your camera.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello,

May I ask what made you think it was an H. spinifer?

Mike
i took a P.Imp photo from offline, used a full length photo of my baby, and then a photo of an H.Spinifer. I then used various other photos and really didn't see the difference in the structure and color of the H.Spinifer and my scorp. I was probably scrutinizing the wrong elements of the scorp though. I raise T's primarily and this was my first scorp. T's are easier to identify usually, so I'm getting used to the challenge of ID'ing scorps.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
btw the 1st pic substrait looks kinda dry, whats your humidity?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
btw the 1st pic substrait looks kinda dry, whats your humidity?
my humidity is usually kept at a constant 70%. sometimes it'll drop to 65 and in which case, i just spray some more water in there and cover most of the top with a towel. actually, that pic was snapped 5 mins after she had been placed in the enclosure. i misted immediately after.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,

I dunno about tarantulas, but color isn't a good way to get an ID. Looking at the structure of the scorpion probably was the best bet, the main difference between Pandinus and Heterometrus species are the pedipalps.

Thanks, was just wondering.

Mike

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my humidity is usually kept at a constant 70%. sometimes it'll drop to 65 and in which case, i just spray some more water in there and cover most of the top with a towel. actually, that pic was snapped 5 mins after she had been placed in the enclosure. i misted immediately after.
70% isn't good enough for P.imperator, I would raise it to 80%. You can do this by flooding the substrate every couple of days, doing a "false bottom setup", or covering about half the screen top with packaing tape.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
damn, my emp has been a pet hole for the past day and a half. burrowed from her hide all the way under to just the tip of the water dish. only reason i discovered her was by brushing a small straw over the surface to locate her and the ground moved haha

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
damn, my emp has been a pet hole for the past day and a half. burrowed from her hide all the way under to just the tip of the water dish. only reason i discovered her was by brushing a small straw over the surface to locate her and the ground moved haha
welcome to the world of emps:) . The best way to keep em active is keep them well fed and have the temp and humidity right on the dot. Other than that theres not much you can do, if you stay up late alot im sure you will see it walking around.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
welcome to the world of emps:) . The best way to keep em active is keep them well fed and have the temp and humidity right on the dot. Other than that theres not much you can do, if you stay up late alot im sure you will see it walking around.
Actually that would keep them hiding, you need to feed them less to make them come out and hunt. IF conditions are perfect, they will hide all the time. Remember a hiding scorp is a happy scorp. You got it right Jungle, just vice versa.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually that would keep them hiding, you need to feed them less to make them come out and hunt. IF conditions are perfect, they will hide all the time. Remember a hiding scorp is a happy scorp. You got it right Jungle, just vice versa.
Actually with less food they do become less active and will just sit under something or in a burrow. Then as soon as their fed later that night and a few days after they will become more active that normal. Ive seen it countless times with my emps. Mine never hunt, but rather sit under a log or burrow with their claws out. Keeping a scorpion well fed will keep it more active at night, thats pretty universal.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dan,

Paul is correct. A well fed scorp will have no reason to come out and forage. A scorp that isn't fed much will be hungry, thus giving them a reason to come out of their hide and forage.

Cheers,
Ryan

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive personally seen with probably 5 different kinds of scorps if they go a very long time without eating they are not active and once there fed they seem to have more energy and are more active for the days following the feeding. Im just saying from my experience and observations on several different kinds of scorps.