Ok, so I am an idiot. I just bought an OBT.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Robc is a very experienced T keeper and despite of this, he was bitten by his murinus...:( ....he said (and I believe him), he was not trying to handle the T and he didn't poke him either
Rob was "hand feeding" his OBT by holding a roach by its butt and offering it to the T when he was bitten. No joke.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I wanted to clear this up because people seem to take it the wrong way. I was calling myself an idiot for getting one because the thing scared me half to death when it escaped and I'm not sure I was(am) ready for it. For more experienced keepers I consider it a far different story. I've only been in this for about four months. (Not judging you, maybe you take it up quicker than me) and I feel it would have been much smarter to work my way up slower. I bought: Rosie, another rosie, an a.versi sling, a GBB sling, then an OBT!

That being said, having her is a lot of fun for me because she gets my heart racing. All the information I've read and the encouragement on here had sigificantly raised my level of comfort. I'm just going to be neurotically careful with her until I have more experience. My other spiders I think of as 'cute' and let them crawl all over me. Not my OBT - its all tongs with her.

The spider expert at my favorite pet store has also threatened to kick my rear for buying her! He was bitten by one and said it was nine hours of sheer agony. He regularly stocks some species that many on here seem to consider more dangerous (haplos and pokies) but I think he received a really large dose of venom on this particular bite.
dont worry, i didnt take anything the wrong way. Actually, the real reason i got an OBT so quick is because i kept reading what some people were saying about them, and just had to get one to see for myself. And, mine mostly just runs and hides. Its just a little over 1" though. But, is already a webbing-fool.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
xD Did I just argue with THE Stanley Schultz?! *faints* X_x

Ah well, everyone is entitled to their viewpoints, that's how science works (!), ...
IT'S OKAY EVERYBODY! "phObia" had a valid point of view. I probably was being a bit excessive in describing OBTs and their care the way I did. But then, Nexen did clearly state that he was fairly new to the hobby, and was asking for advice on how to deal with a tarantula that was one or two steps up the ladder from your average pet rock.

I'm also a believer in giving the bad news first. Getting the good news first gives one a sense of false security. Famous last words: "Smile. Be happy. Everything's going to be all right." Notice that I didn't say "Don't keep one." I merely told Nexen (and anybody else who is paying attention) what to expect, and gave some pointers on dealing with OBTs and other tarantulas that have an attitude.

... but I still stand by my statements that they're not quite as bad as some people make out. When I see a video of someone being chased around their specimen room by an angry P.murinus, I'll back down. ;)
And, you are quite correct. No tarantula that I've ever seen or heard of actually chases anything but crickets.

We all tend to wax sentimental about our tarantulas of any kind until we're bitten by one of those little darlings with a medically significant bite. Then we experience a sudden snap back to reality and we're very, Very, VERY, VERY careful from then on NOT to ever get into a situation where we'll be bitten again. Marguerite can attest to that! It's a lot easier (and more sensible) to be able to say "I told you so!" than it is to have to say "Ooops!"

Cheers,

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks man, I probably jumped off the deep-end a little also on this one.
I love the Pterinochilus genus, probably my favourite, and I'm well aware of the consequences of their bite. I just generally think that some people do exaggerate them a lot.

I guess, reading back through, it is very good information for a beginner, though this shouldn't surprise me since your book arrived through my door this morning and I've been glued to it since. Not meant to be a brown-nose, more a mark of deep respect.

As a side-note, I've just gotten back from staying with my girlfriend for three days to find my P.murinus has completely sealed off her original burrow under the cork-bark, not just webbing, she's filled it in with substrate and packed it down well. She's kept the same burrow, but added a different exit that comes out now under a second piece of bark and is using a fake-plant leaf as a 'front door', as in, it just covers the entrance to her burrow and I can see four little 'feet' poking up at me.

Maww...

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... your book arrived through my door this morning and I've been glued to it since...
Did you get a copy of the second edition with the Rio Grand gold (Aphonopelma moderatum) on the cover or the third edition with the Mexican redleg (Brachypelma smithi)? I'm just curious if they're shipping the 3rd edition earlier than expected.

Hellion299

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Respect

OBT's are great additons to ANY tarantula keepers collection. Sadly these guys are a hands off species because of their flighty-ness and "attitude", but you have to respect the way they react and adapt so well to their habitat. Anyone can get years of enjoyment out of these guys if you just understand the "right" way to enjoy them; as little hands on time with these guys as possible!! :) Respect them and enjoy from a distance.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They're a ''hands off'' species :?? I handle mine regularly, and they really aren't that bad once they're out their cages.

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you get a copy of the second edition with the Rio Grand gold (Aphonopelma moderatum) on the cover or the third edition with the Mexican redleg (Brachypelma smithi)? I'm just curious if they're shipping the 3rd edition earlier than expected.
It's the third edition. I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk, an amazing read, though I can't compare it to the first or second editions as I've sadly not read them. Of course, I'd be happy to read and compare a signed copy? ;)

They're a ''hands off'' species ? I handle mine regularly, and they really aren't that bad once they're out their cages.
Whilst I do agree that they really are nowhere near as bad outside their cages, do still be cautious. It's the good old adage that you can poke a Black Widow who's sitting on her eggs and she won't attack you, you can safely let these guys walk across your hands (I've done it), but if you back her into a corner where she can't run, she'll bite.

All spiders have stimuli and reactions based on their situation. Poke a P.murinus and it goes either for the burrow (if close enough) or for higher ground. If it's in it's burrow or cannot back away, it'll bite. If it's in an unusual environment like outside it's cage or in a new enclosure, before they've established a burrow, they are MUCH in preference of running than they are of trying to take down a creature thousands of times their body weight.

This is not the case, however, if they have nowhere to run or if they're in their burrow. The first is a case of life and death to the spider, it's in a corner and fears it will die unless it tries something. In it's burrow, it's the same situation plus territorial issues. ;)

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're a ''hands off'' species :?? I handle mine regularly, and they really aren't that bad once they're out their cages.

Good for you!:clap: :clap: :clap: :rolleyes:

Hands off does not mean they can't be handled. It generally means it is a SMART idea to not do it.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
drama continues

Turns out that my OBT is not an OBT at all. S/he is a Pterinochilus lugardi, a "Fort Hall Baboon"
Looked the same to me, except the coloration and this spider has two larger "eye spots" on its abdomen.

I've been reading a lot about OBTs but I can't find nearly as much information about P. lugardi besides their basic care needs.

Anyone know:

1) how different are their venoms? I'd suspect that P.lugari are fairly close to P.murinus?

2) I've read that P.lugardi isn't as "nasty" as a P.murinus. Does that just mean that s/he will be far less likely to bite than run away? This spider has yet to throw me a threat display but then again I've done nothing to provoke it since our first encounter.

3) Is it still ok to try to control the web vs. burrow behavior by limiting substrate? Mine is pretty skittish right now but I don't know how much is just her baseline and how much would be stress from living in a shallower substrate. (she's burrowed into it anyways)

Despite the more boring coloration (imho) this is actually a pretty cool spider so far. S/he sees me off to work every morning and hides the rest of the day. Good eater too.

Also - this is the first spider I've messed with that seems to notice camera flash. Doesn't run away or anything but definitely goes into the "hide your eyes with your legs" posture that I (rightly or wrongly) associate with fear.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good for you!:clap: :clap: :clap: :rolleyes:

Hands off does not mean they can't be handled. It generally means it is a SMART idea to not do it.
Yeah, if something spooks your spider while you are handling it - you may end up in some serious pain. I love handling Ts but I wouldn't want to handle even a very tame OBT after what I've read about their venom's potency.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=133925

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, if something spooks your spider while you are handling it - you may end up in some serious pain. I love handling Ts but I wouldn't want to handle even a very tame OBT after what I've read about their venom's potency.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=133925
I've handled my share of "nasty" ones. In fact, it is my personal mission in life to handle any species and any particular member of a given species that is so called defensive. I won't bore you with the list but suffice to say that I have handled what I have without being bitten (I have been bitten, just not while handling) indicates that any species can be handled. My day will come, but so far it's been a piece of cake.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It'll look like this when grown...not so boring now, huh? :D

"Bloody Mary's" temperament is different than obt's... she's a dedicated pet hole and only comes out in the dead of night. Never had a threat display from her in all the years I've owned her. :D
(and after having this picture for so long..you'd think I would have noticed the pit bull nose in the background :? {D )
Congrats on getting a great species! (P.lugardi).. :clap: :D If you aren't comfortable holding it ~ simply don't do it. There is no good argument for holding a tarantula..it's alot like petting a tiger. It could go horribly wrong. Wait until you are ready; if ever. :) If you are bitten ~ it will invariably be your own fault; never the T's. It is a calculated risk, at best. You must be willing to take the bite. Period.
Personally ~ I will hold and play with our T's when they are willing to let me.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've handled my share of "nasty" ones. In fact, it is my personal mission in life to handle any species and any particular member of a given species that is so called defensive. I won't bore you with the list but suffice to say that I have handled what I have without being bitten (I have been bitten, just not while handling) indicates that any species can be handled. My day will come, but so far it's been a piece of cake.
Well, good luck on your mission! I'll be watching from the sidelines with great interest. (actually, I already have been, truth be told :) )

If someone wants to handle critters that can cause that kind of pain that is their perogative and I'd never deny them that. But I do hope that anyone who makes the decision to handle this or other "hot" species does so only for *themselves* and with adequate knowledge of the danger beforehand.

ie know what you are getting into and take pains to make sure that you are only exposing yourself to the danger.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ie know what you are getting into and take pains to make sure that you are only exposing yourself to the danger.
Yeah, I've been fanged by and OBT and an S. calceatum (again, not while handling) so I have some idea of just how "fun" it is. Of course there's nothing like the feeling of venom coursing though the veins, lol!

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It'll look like this when grown...not so boring now, huh? :D
She's a pretty T, no doubt. I didn't mean to say otherwise. I'm just in love with the P.murinus coloration so it was a bit of a disappointment that I wouldn't be able to get one now. (space/wife tolerance is an issue in my situation)

This is all right now though - I get so attached to my pets in such a short time that I'll probably think mine is better looking than any other spider soon.

"Bloody Mary's" temperament is different than obt's... she's a dedicated pet hole and only comes out in the dead of night. Never had a threat display from her in all the years I've owned her. :D
(and after having this picture for so long..you'd think I would have noticed the pit bull nose in the background :? {D )
Congrats on getting a great species! (P.lugardi).. :clap: :D If you aren't comfortable holding it ~ simply don't do it. There is no good argument for holding a tarantula..it's alot like petting a tiger. It could go horribly wrong. Wait until you are ready; if ever. :) If you are bitten ~ it will invariably be your own fault; never the T's. It is a calculated risk, at best. You must be willing to take the bite. Period.
Personally ~ I will hold and play with our T's when they are willing to let me.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not willing to take the bite just to be able to hold her. Maybe I'll feel differently one day but I'll handle my other species for now.

Last edited: