Ohio T's

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I was told to come here to find out if there was a OHIO T group? I've used the search and come up empty handed besides a bunch of conventions for breeders to sell their products. If anybody knows of such a group please link me up, if not I'm ready to help form a such a group. If none exists get ahold of me so we can make this happen!

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i'm in ohio (cleveland area) and i'm not aware of any T groups or orgs that meet regularly (locally). usually the highlight of the month is the "all cleveland reptile show" since there are generally a few T dealers there (botar, tarantulas inc.).. hehe. a few others i know who are also into this hobby attend that event as well.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey I'm down lets make this happen. I'm in the cincinnati area.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am in the Cincinnati area as well. I don't know of any Ohio groups, though. There is also a reptile show is Columbus every month. I believe it's called the All Ohio Reptile Show. It's a great show!

crawldad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm in Toledo!

and I have met another fellow member that is from Cleveland. It would be great to get something organized!

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know of any either. How far do you live from Cleveland secular?

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awsome, I'm gonna have to travel some other boards and see what kind of support I can get drummed up for this. If you know any Ohio T owners find out if they're interested. :clap:

Not sure if you guys know Alliance or Canton but I'm stuck right in the middle of those two cities. Somewhere around a forty minute drive to either Cleveland or Akron. I don't know maybe a 20-25 minute from the Akron/Canton airport.

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bet you don't have too many problems getting into Jacobs Field before the game, lol. I'm about 15-20 minutes away depending on traffic.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool, cool.

Well here's a few of the ideas I really would like to see come from our Ohio T group/website.

1. Free Membership- I'm tired of those groups that require you to pay out so much cash a year just to get a stupid e-mail newsletter. I've got alot of experience creating and maintaining websites for less then $5 a year so there would be no need to charge for anything.

2. More detailed caresheets- I'd like to have the website feature caresheets put together by us founding members along with any outside help who wishes to contribute. Create some really detailed caresheets that not only members can get to but any fellow T-owner who would like to know.

3. Ohio Breeders/sellers- Complete listings of any ohio based breeders and/or sellers. Maybe even a section for T-breeders/sellers in general that we recomend.

4. Articles- "papers" written by fellow T-owners and breeders about this great hobby ranging anywhere from breeding tips to general care advice.

These are just some of my ideas, I've got a million of them and with everybodys help we can make this happen. If anybody else has any ideas or suggestions how we should go about this feel free to say them now.

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bet you don't have too many problems getting into Jacobs Field before the game, lol. I'm about 15-20 minutes away depending on traffic.
to jacobs field is probably 7-10 minutes. i'd probably take the bike so as to go around most of the traffic anyways. ;P

Well here's a few of the ideas I really would like to see come from our Ohio T group/website.

1. Free Membership- I'm tired of those groups that require you to pay out so much cash a year just to get a stupid e-mail newsletter. I've got alot of experience creating and maintaining websites for less then $5 a year so there would be no need to charge for anything.

2. More detailed caresheets- I'd like to have the website feature caresheets put together by us founding members along with any outside help who wishes to contribute. Create some really detailed caresheets that not only members can get to but any fellow T-owner who would like to know.

3. Ohio Breeders/sellers- Complete listings of any ohio based breeders and/or sellers. Maybe even a section for T-breeders/sellers in general that we recomend.

4. Articles- "papers" written by fellow T-owners and breeders about this great hobby ranging anywhere from breeding tips to general care advice.

These are just some of my ideas, I've got a million of them and with everybodys help we can make this happen. If anybody else has any ideas or suggestions how we should go about this feel free to say them now.
i'd be up for helping out on a website and other things when i can.

crawldad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To be honest,

I am much more interested in meeting people who have the same interests as I do. I attend Herp. meetings every once in a while here, and most of the members can not understand my fascination with Tarantulas. Why would we have to develop another web site? We can post here, use our own "OHIO T" thread, and organize, say, a monthly meeting. We could get together with animals to sell or trade. Maybe shift the city to make it easier for others to get together. The shared knowledge that this site has is amazing. Why not use it. You aske for peoples 2 cents, there's mine.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am much more interested in meeting people who have the same interests as I do. I attend Herp. meetings every once in a while here, and most of the members can not understand my fascination with Tarantulas. Why would we have to develop another web site? We can post here, use our own "OHIO T" thread, and organize, say, a monthly meeting. We could get together with animals to sell or trade. Maybe shift the city to make it easier for others to get together. The shared knowledge that this site has is amazing. Why not use it. You aske for peoples 2 cents, there's mine.
I already thought about that, covering the entire state of Ohio will prevent meeting with all members. Just in this thread we've got people from one end of Ohio to the other.

I've dealt with various groups from fantasy wrestling to local stores and the thing I've noticed is a strong web presence can make a difference. While I don't plan on creating a new message board for the site (perhaps a deal can be worked here) I want the site for several important factors. One I've always dreamed of creating the best possible care sheets for Ts by actual owners. And while this sounds retarded it's the truth... in my 8 years as various web master experience, the more pro you look (IE nice site) the better your response is.

If we have a nice clean, easy to navigate site that looks like we know what we're doing the more people we can convince that we're not a bunch of newbies or scam artists. My plan for a site revolves around being open to anybody who wants to view. We could have member specific sections but I want the site to be open to anybody and everybody who owns a T. While it's a group devoted to Ohio I plan on getting people involved from across the world. To be taken seriously we have to consider outside sources, we need to be brother/sisters with other T groups and the net is the best way to do that.

The way I see this ending up is chapters of our group, spreading such a mass distance hurts so we'd have to be willing to work as groups within a larger unit. I have dreams for a yearly meeting with the entire group but monthly is so out the question. Gas costs money, room and board costs money, so doing a monthly meeting that's held in say Columbus hurts Cleveland members (I'd fit into the Cleveland group), or vise versa. I'm already working on getting in contact with Ohio breeders and sellers to promote and working on some HTML layout along with various universities.

Thanks for your view on thinks and if anybody else has anything to say feel free. I don't want this to be me saying how things will run, I want all founding members (you guys) to have as much say in this as I do.... Anyway to ohio T owners who are in support of this here's what I need...

1. Other members from Ohio with net pressence or not. Eventually I'd like to get a snail mail newsletter running.

2. Contact with ohio breeder/sellers or breeder/sellers who frequent our fine state.

3. "Reports" written by members and the above breeders/sellers on anything T related. I'm already planning a "Cricket" report written by mself (got alot of experince with the crix's)

4. A name!!!! I've got photoshop and already come up with a "LOGO" to attach to any message board avatars just need to get something official going... I'll go with the Ohio Tarantula Society if nobody has any better. This is just my first stab but it gives you the idea.

5. Ideas from other Ohio T owners on what we need.

Basicly I want to organize Ohio's T owners and show the rest of the world that Ohio knows what it's doing and is ready to help anybody. In just non-net pressence I've got at least three people in my area already signed on!

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Secular, I hope that you don't bike on 90 or 480 or 71 or the half dozen others. It's a 15-20 minute car ride at 65 mph.

I like the name, but I agree that we can use this site as well. No sense letting resources go. I also agree that a meeting of the whole group is out of the question monthly. I am not as bad off as those from inside Cleveland. I can get to Columbus in about an hour and a half. A yearly meeting with work and a form of school to contend with isn't that far off base. I would love to know some local breeders, and we can always trade at meetings.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Secular, I hope that you don't bike on 90 or 480 or 71 or the half dozen others. It's a 15-20 minute car ride at 65 mph.

I like the name, but I agree that we can use this site as well. No sense letting resources go. I also agree that a meeting of the whole group is out of the question monthly. I am not as bad off as those from inside Cleveland. I can get to Columbus in about an hour and a half. A yearly meeting with work and a form of school to contend with isn't that far off base. I would love to know some local breeders, and we can always trade at meetings.
That's what I'm talking about right there seen1980! I couldn't have said it better myself! The more we cover every source to contacting ohio T owners the more we can say we represent the state of Ohio! The way I see things, again only my opinion, we can work as one single unit putting out flyers at pet stores and other pet related places, meanwhile covering every T or exotic pet board we visit to spread the word.

Covering the streets as well as the net will help us get our name out around Ohio. I may not be a T expert, I only own two T's... a Rosie and a Lividum but I've spent hundreds of hours researching and working with various owners/breeders to learn what I can. BUT... I know PR from doing web work for multiple sites (can't list for legal reasons) and how the PR runs, this is their same method.

Seen1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd broaden the site. There's no sense leaving out Other True spider owners or Scorpion owners either. Or other interverts.

Another thing about the meetings is that there really shouldn't be anything wrong with choosing a separate meeting for localized memebers of ohio such as there's no reason that Secular and I and whoever else in the Cleveland area to meet separately. A local meeting could potentially be met monthly or more.

I think this would be helpful, and yearly meetings could be swung to different areas, so other members can make it or so on.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd broaden the site. There's no sense leaving out Other True spider owners or Scorpion owners either. Or other interverts.
I like that idea! Perhaps we could be the "Ohio Arachnid Society?" That way everybody is covered.

Another thing about the meetings is that there really shouldn't be anything wrong with choosing a separate meeting for localized memebers of ohio such as there's no reason that Secular and I and whoever else in the Cleveland area to meet separately. A local meeting could potentially be met monthly or more.
Yeah that was something along the lines of what I was thinking with the chapters. Have a chapter for any major area of members, each chapter could then hold their own meetings or events based off their own time frame.

I think this would be helpful, and yearly meetings could be swung to different areas, so other members can make it or so on.
Awsome now we're getting the ball rolling! I'm gonna start work on a basic HTML layout for our site I'll get everybody's opinion on it once it's done.