Oh Yes !!!!!!!!!

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh Yes, today when I was looking at mt ball python I noticed that there was a break in his skin. Then I looked closer and then that's when I realized that he was shedding. What threw me off was that the break in his skin was in the middle of his body and the shedding didn't start at his head. At least he is shedding in one whole peice and not in little pieces or one scale at a time ... right. Is it ok for my ball python to start the shedd at the middle of the body and not his head?? It is still coming off in one peice therefore I think it would be ok. Being that he shedd, that means that he is doing ok and I'm taking care of him, right. I'm so happy he is finally shedding=D :D

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, congrats. It's about damn time. =D Although it's not normal for the skin to start coming off mid-body. Sometimes they don't come off all in one piece. If he's still in the process of shedding, just mist him, and that will help. Just make sure he gets it all off, especially the eye caps. If he doesn't...soak him in lukewarm water, then GENTLY rub it off starting at the head going towards the tail.

Bry

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You got it Bry

You got it Bry, Thanks alot for all the help that you provided. Even when my Ball python had mites and when he wasn't eating you where there helping me out step by step to get me through it. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. Also big thanks to Lasiodora he also helped me out alot as well. Thanks Lasiodora.

Thanks you guys

Sam,

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your welcome Sam. Good to hear he's shedding. Like Bry said just mist him. The sheds don't always come off in one piece. If he doesn't get the shed off on his own you can help him. Soaking him is one way and placing him in a plastic shoe box with moist paper towels under and on top of him is another way. Both methods will help loosen the old skin. When he sheds the skin off his head, examine it (the shed skin) to see that the old eyecaps were shed. If they were not, you can gently remove them. If you're not sure how, feel free to ask. You have to be extremely gentle with the eyes.
Mike

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do you have something rough in its enclosure that it can rub on to start the removal of its shed?
Ed

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes I have three things that he can rub up on to start the shedd. One thing that he can rub up on is his water bowl. The outside of his water bowl is rough. He also has his house to rub up on. His house is made out of real wood therefore it is kind of rough. The last thing I have in there that is rough is this cement snail. He most like it because he is always on it. The snail doesn't seem to affect him or bother him so I left it in there.

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Healthy snakes usually have no problem with shedding Ecdysis, and tend to shed their skins in one piece. Exceptions to this include snakes with injuries to the skin and/or scales resulting in scarring, and snakes housed in enclosures with suboptimal temperature and/or relative humidity levels.

Often times, the inability of a snake to properly shed its skin in one piece is directly or indirectly compromised by poor husbandry of the animal, resulting in incomplete sheds.

Many times, the snakes kept under these conditions tend to shed their skin in pieces, resulting in many small pieces remaining adhered to the (new) skin and eyes (retained eye caps).

Unshed skin can lead to bacterial infections (especially in the eye region). If your snake has had a shed that was in pieces, it is strongly suggested that you soak the snake in lukewarm water * for approximately two hours, thus allowing any remaining shards of old skin to dislodge from the snakes new skin.

*NOTE: Lukewarm to you and lukewarm to a cold-blooded reptile are vastly different. The water temperature for a soaking reptile should never exceed 80°...78° being ideal.

Also be aware that when soaking a snake, do not place the snake in water that is any deeper than twice his body circumference. The snake should be able to soak, NOT tread water. This will allow the snake to "rest" on the bottom of whatever instrument you soak it in, while not overexerting itself and to safely keep its head above water.