OH NOO..my p. metalica!!

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whats wrong with her legs??i just picked her up from a friend who took care of her for six months while i got situated at my new place out of state.he told me that she stopped eating crickets so he started feeding her wild caught brown anoles and she would eat those only when he pinched the lizards leg with needle nose pliers and left the lizard and pliers near her hiding spot overnight(i actually think thats cruel,but if she wouldnt eat otherwise...)he said he would keep her water bowl full and only sprayed the enclosure with tap water once or twice every 3weeks.the room he kept her in was a little on the cool side,like 70-75 degrees.she molted once while in his care.now,whats wrong with her??and will she be able to molt properly?what should i do?my baby :(

whitehaze2008

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hum

that looks like maby a healed injury. I know anoles can inflict a nasty bite...that looks like what has happened here.
But dont worry a molt will correct that.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with whitehaze, it does look like she was chewed on by the anoles. If it's not completely back to normal after her next molt, it will the molt after.

She's a pretty lady.

Cass

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would never let your friend watch your T again, that's for sure!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow!! I aree with Jairi!! Never let that so called friend of yours watch your T again.. She does look like she will be fine after a couple molts..

Ryujia

Arachnosquire
That looks digustingly painful.. And I do agree 100%. Though the friend meant well..

I hope she molts out of it and is 100% again.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Doesn't look painful at all..lol Give her a molt, she'll be fine.

Perhaps you'd do well to consider advising anyone who cares for your spiders that not eating is usually fine, often because of the impending molt. Maybe have them consult you before offering new and exotic feeding options. I fed lizards to my N. coloratovillosus before though {D

-Sean

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i agree..from now on shes staying wit me,no matter what.but now some concerns..she doesnt seem interested in chasing crickets or even lizards down.thats why he did the whole lizard with pliers thing.thats the only way she would eat its like shes just lazy..i feel uncomfortable doing that to the lizard not to mention feeding her just lizards cant be good for her.i dont want to do the roach colony thing because a whole colony for one T..doesnt seem like its a good idea.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree..from now on shes staying wit me,no matter what.but now some concerns..she doesnt seem interested in chasing crickets or even lizards down.thats why he did the whole lizard with pliers thing.thats the only way she would eat its like shes just lazy..i feel uncomfortable doing that to the lizard not to mention feeding her just lizards cant be good for her.i dont want to do the roach colony thing because a whole colony for one T..doesnt seem like its a good idea.
Just dont feed her for now.. Give her some time.. She just might not be wanting nothing to eat.. It happens..

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One thing to consider, it's possible that it was a molt related issue. My own P. Metallica had that happen to one leg (Back leg, right side) right after a molt. He ended up casting the leg off after a month or so.

Although I really don't think feeding the lizards was a good idea! Why didn't he tong feed with crickets?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i would try to take good clear pics that let you see those anomalies just about every day if you can. they look like they could be what has been mentioned, i guess... but they also look like they could be some kinda disease or something

you need to watch them... if it gets worse you might consider popping those two legs off

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just dont feed her for now.. Give her some time.. She just might not be wanting nothing to eat.. It happens..
I agree. Tarantulas don't absolutely need food everyday and she doesn't look skinny. I wouldn't worry unless her abdomen shrinks. Just make sure she has water available.

Keep an eye on those injuries. If there are any changes to them, take some pictures and post them here. Does almost look like a lizard took a side-ways bite to them but not sure.. spiders can have a partial wet molt can't they?

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you give him any care instructions on how to properly care for her?

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had this with a wild caught OBT. I mean the exact same thing but only on a single leg. She didn't move well with it and had recently molted when I got her. She died only a couple weeks later. Had some lumps in the abdomen that looked like either a cyst or a hernia of some sort. I wouldn't suggest feeding vertebrates.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had an A. metallica who failed to shed the exuvia on one of her toes. The old exo stuck on her foot until the next molt. It looked pretty much like your pic (except only one toe) I'd say it's that or just an injury from an anole.

You should kick your friend where the sun don't shine, not only for feeding those anoles but for feeding anything that was WC. I mean, I wonder how many pesticide exposed insects those anoles had eaten? How many mites were on their skin?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well... i mean... i would have probably gone over some stuff and given my buddy a 3x5 card with the really important stuff on it

and taped one to my pmet's cage

and possibly glued one ot my friend... i mean, this kind of randomness can't come as a complete shock to the OP

=P

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good point Caco. I personally don't have anyone i'd trust to care for my collection so... yeah. I take short vacations.