Oh No

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This weeked I went to that Arizona reptile show. My dad and I were looking at all the redtail boas. There was this Guyana red tail boa that probably 4-5 feet long. This was the coolest snake there and it even looked better then most of the salmons. My dad was going to buy this or a salmon red tail boa. He ended up buying the Guyana red tail, but the people we bought it from feed this snake right before the show. When this snake was in our car it threw up this big rat, that this guy just feed it. My dad and mom freaked out and I tried to explain to them that the snake was stressed out, but they didn't care and they took the snake back :mad: The guy that that sold us this snake also sold us a ball python that was about three weeks old. I just went ahead and bought that. So now I have two ball pythons and my parents are looking for another Guyana red tail boa or even a salmon red tail. They say that they want to get one here pretty soon... So I guess that's cool.

Last edited:

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
As you know the red tail probably would have been fine.
Sometimes parents need to be educated about things:)
I can say that because I am a parent.
My daughter wanted a snake and I bought one, not because
she wanted it, but because I wanted one too.
My parents would not let me have anything as odd as a snake.
When I was a kid we had a cat and a dog. When I was old enough to have a job I purchased a few birds. So, my selection
of pets was still limited because I was not allowed to get
other types of animals.:(
Maybe if you can get them to read a few books and ask more
questions about the animals they to will learn to understand
them. That could lead to the obsession I have with these
critters. :) You could end up with a whole zoo!:D

At least you did get another snake:cool:
Instead of only having 2 you could end up with 3!
Either way the odds have improved:cool:

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Guyanans are part of a group of snakes called True Redtails or BCCs (which stands for Boa constrictor constrictor). These snakes are especially sensitive, and will regurge easily. So, it was more of the dealer's own fault for feeding the snake right before the show. BCCs are not an ideal second snake due to their sensitivity, and they can be somewhat feisty, but it depends on the snake. BCCs will regurge easily if given the chance. It was probably all the movement and the heat in the car that caused the snake to regurge.

Colombians are a far better choice for a 2nd snake, in terms of temperament and hardiness. If you can get a normal, or a salmon (which is a Colombian color morph) go for it. They're very cool snakes. Oh yeah, they typically eat much better than ball pythons. :)

Bry

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't Guyanas grow to the 14 foot area also? If size is an issue, they might be kinda problematic.

Atleast that's what the petstore told me.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, Guyanas do typically grow to be larger than Colombians. I haven't heard of a Guyana reaching 14', I think the record is 13'. Either way, that's an extreme case. But, it's always a small possibility the snake will reach that size.

Bry