Oh No!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Vayu Son's male G rosea, the one that has been cohabitating with my female for over 5 months, is flipped over on his back, attempting a post ultimate molt. Verde, his girlfriend, is not at all interested in the proceedings.
I will get pics as soon as the cam battery charges

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Why is that "Oh No!" The chance of his survival? He might pull it off! Better than curling up dead, isn't it?

Bill

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
man

sorry to hear that Holley, hope everything goes well, i heard that brachy's are more likely to survive postultimate moults, is that true? Good Luck!

James

btw-update us on how it goes :)

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard advice that you should brush a post-ultimate molter's extremities with a mixture of one drop dishwashing detergent to one cup water, or a mixture of glycerin and water, and to raise the humidty.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
update:

well, at about 830pm Pacific time, he turned back over, like nothing had ever occured, and started to clean himself.
I let Verde back in, she came over, touched his front set of legs with hers, and wandered off. He is still cleaning himself.
Very strange...I will post pics tomorrow, too tired tonight

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Wierd. Maybe it was a sort of "kill me now, bitch" maneuver.

-V

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I came in this morning, and he's dead. He never moved from the position when he turned back over. Never even began to 'pop the top' either. I dont' know why he died. The female was calmly munching a superworm that she had dug up. there are no marks on him whatsoever- he looks completely normal, and whole.
I'm assuming it has something to do with his attempted molt, maybe it took too much out of him? Or maybe he died of old age....I don't know.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Its a good way to die. Tell shelby thanks for keeping an eye on him for me.

-V

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vayu Son I'm sorry for your loss. Even if it's something your expecting from age. Ya never like to lose a nice T.

Immortal_sin I hope you and Vayu son get a nice eggsack. :)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok. Clearify me please. Just so I know my two wee braincells have this right. A post ultimate molt is a molt that occures after a male has molted into full maturity. Correct?

But females can and will continue to molt after maturity. Correct?

Yeesh, male T's get it going and comming....

(Marks off another *don't wanna be* for my next incarnation)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here we go

this is him as I found him last night, upsidedown, legs wiggling

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
right side up

sorry this is terrible focus, I didn't check it, or I would have taken a better pic. He turned back over, and was looking ok. At one point, it looked like he was cleaning his palps

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
last one

this is rather morbid, but here he is, on top of the monitor, where he will stay till this afternoon when Shelby comes home from school, and we can bury him.

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Ok. Clearify me please. Just so I know my two wee braincells have this right. A post ultimate molt is a molt that occures after a male has molted into full maturity. Correct?

But females can and will continue to molt after maturity. Correct?

Yeesh, male T's get it going and comming....

(Marks off another *don't wanna be* for my next incarnation)
that is correct Nixy. Some males survive a post ultimate molt, I suspect that the number is quite small though.
Females will continue to molt after maturing

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Sin. Just needed to know that my poor strange brain absorbed the information correctly. :)

Cowshark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My condolences to Immortal Sin and Vayu. Dang shame to not get an egg sac. It's weird; several people I know or are friends of friends have lost pets lately. A buddy suggested that maybe they're going to heaven to be with Mr. Rogers.