oh my god!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that amputation is only recomended in cases where there is bleeding from a leg. Tarantulas seem to be able to stop bleeding when the whole leg is removed, but injuries to the leg sometimes will continue to bleed if not removed. I had a B. smithi who had a bad molt and had "withered" looking leg, but no bleeding. I asked for advice on one of the archnid lists, and was told NOT to amputate, that if it was a problem, the spider would autonomize the leg herself when the time came. She later molted with no problems. If you do need to remove a leg, you're not actually cutting it off, rather you want the spider to autonomize it. The method I've heard for doing this involves grasping the femur with a pair of forcepts and pulling upwards. I've never had to do it, however. The bleeding stops pretty quickly, but many keepers will coat the stump (at the coxa) with triple nail hardener, NuSkin, or even super glue just to be safe.

Good luck with your spider, I once had a similar problem with a P. cambridgei sling with deformed legs. I fed it smashed crickets placed right at the mouth, and it eventually molted into a perfectly normal spider.

Wade

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That would be why I suggested getting a lot of opinions ;) I know some people would recommend doing the amputation rather than risk the leg being trapped again, others would recommend letting things go naturally. I've never been in your situation so I don't have enough personal experience to judge a deformity's severity.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:( :(
Well here's the update and the end of the story, basically. My little T was dead when I came home from work today. Now I have to figure out how I want to bury her.. she was my first T death. Are A Avics always this bad about molting? She was alive last night and I think this morning but she's definitely dead now. :(

Attachments

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very sorry to hear about your loss. I have been blessed in that I've never lost a T to moulting problems, but as is attested to by these boards and others, keep enough Ts long enough, and it will happen to you. Pinktoes are hardy, reliable Ts (mine just moulted last night). You unfortunately had the bad luck to beat the odds in this case. You obviously did everything you could, I hope this will be your last problem of this kind.

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry to hear

:( sorry to hear about your loss , its never nice to lose a pet.must be very hard because you sounded so excited about the molt:(

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, everyone. Yeah I was happy she got out of her molt, and I was going to keep a close eye on her and all that.. but oh well. She had other plans. I have another a. avic, a 3/4 " sling and I hope it can survive better than leopard did. :)